Fort Collins, CO to Colorado Springs

Old July 31st 06, 07:05 AM posted to rec.bicycles.rides

Default Fort Collins, CO to Colorado Springs

I've been enjoying my new (used) Bike E so much, that I decided to take

it for a tour. I rode from Fort Collins, CO to Colorado Springs, and
back (5-6 days with 2 days of goofing around in the Springs). It was a
fun trip. The stretch between South Denver (Franktown) and Colorado
Springs was difficult, as there is NOTHING in between. No water, no
food, and worst of all no Shade! I carried a sleeping bag, tent, and
other supplies. I used a small plastic container, about 6" square for a

cooler. I would put ice on the bottom with a couple small tupperwares
with carrot sticks, etc. On top of that, out of the water, I would put
my Veggie Ham. This also served as my water reserves when I ran out.
The Bike-E turned out to be a workhorse for me. Although I didn't have
an odometer, I estimate I rode a total of about 500 miles.

Here's a few pics of the loaded bicycle:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/89892855@N00/201366772/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/89892855@N00/201366773/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/89892855@N00/201366774/

------
Jim Gagnepain
http://home.comcast.net/%7Eoil_free_and_happy/

Old August 9th 06, 05:08 PM posted to rec.bicycles.rides

wrote:
[...]

Nice ride, nice Bike.

I rode the same route some 12 years ago on a Ryan Vanguard recumbent
on a cross country trip. I stopped for the night at a horse ranch near
Franktown and asked the folks there if I could put my tent up on their
property. They were a very nice couple who invited me in for dinner and
told me I could sleep in the barn. I should have stayed in the tent.
The horses kept me awake kicking their stalls all night long.......do
horses ever sleep? .

Old August 13th 06, 02:09 AM posted to rec.bicycles.rides
Thomas Wentworth

I have done this on tour many times. Especially out west. I've camped
behind the barn of a fair ground, in a field across from a couple's house,
etc. Once, in Vermont, I asked a milk farmer and he said go ahead and camp
down near the cows. When I woke up, the cows were all lying around nearby.

------------------------------
"oilfreeandhappy" wrote in message
oups.com...

wrote:

I rode the same route some 12 years ago on a Ryan Vanguard recumbent
on a cross country trip. I stopped for the night at a horse ranch near
Franktown and asked the folks there if I could put my tent up on their
property. They were a very nice couple who invited me in for dinner and
told me I could sleep in the barn. I should have stayed in the tent.
The horses kept me awake kicking their stalls all night long.......do
horses ever sleep? .

Did you do that often - asking people if you can camp on their land?
I've never done that, but maybe it's not a bad idea.