New River Trail in SW VA? Or other flat rides in the area?

Old October 25th 06, 09:37 PM posted to rec.bicycles.rides

Default New River Trail in SW VA? Or other flat rides in the area?

Anybody biked the 57-mile New River Trail? Looks like a fairly flat
trail, may be unpaved. I'd be doing it about mid-November. Any info
about easy rides west of the Blue Ridge (nice river valleys), 20-50 mi.
for an old slow rider, would be appreciated.

CC,Rider

Old October 25th 06, 10:31 PM posted to rec.bicycles.rides
daytoncapri

Please post a report when you do this. I did find this link

http://www.cccyclery.com/galfjbg.htm

Old October 26th 06, 02:31 AM posted to rec.bicycles.rides
Matt O'Toole

On Wed, 25 Oct 2006 13:37:09 -0700, carolrcohen wrote:

Anybody biked the 57-mile New River Trail? Looks like a fairly flat
trail, may be unpaved. I'd be doing it about mid-November. Any info
about easy rides west of the Blue Ridge (nice river valleys), 20-50 mi.
for an old slow rider, would be appreciated.

I've done the whole thing a few times, but not necessarily all at once.
It's not completely flat but the grades are insignificant. It is
unpaved, but it's a solid surface of either hard packed dirt or cinders.
If it's wet you'll get dirty but you won't sink in at all. It's
enjoyable even with snow on the ground.

The jewel of the region is the Virginia Creeper Trail, which climbs 2000'
but the grade is gentle, and the ride down a blast. Unlike most rail
trails it has interesting curves the whole way too. I recommend it -- and
that you ride it both ways, instead of doing the tourist car shuttle to
the top. The scenery is terrific too.

There isn't much that's flat in this part of the country. The New River
Trail is easily the flattest stretch of bikeable terrain for
hundreds of miles around. Wolf Creek Rd., 61, from Narrows toward
Tazewell, isn't too hilly, nor is 42 which parallels it from
Pembroke toward Bland. These are popular early-season training routes.

Matt O.
Old October 26th 06, 06:26 PM posted to rec.bicycles.rides
AlJ

Default Greenbrier River Trail

I don't know if this is in the area you're looking for. Its a 72 mile
trail from Cass, WV down to North Caldwell. Its an old railroad bed so
its pretty flat. It follows the river most of the way.

We were there 3 or 4 years ago. If you want, we put a trip report and
pictures on our family web site.

http://www.alandsuejohnson.com/w_va_places.htm

Look for Greenbrier River Trail on the menus. There's two there.