French Alps episode #3: Villard Notre Dame (across from Alpe d'Huez)

Old November 9th 06, 07:00 AM posted to rec.bicycles.rides
steephill

Default French Alps episode #3: Villard Notre Dame (across from Alpe d'Huez)

Here is our video and photo report from one of the most spectacular
roads we've ever cycled:

http://www.steephill.tv/2006/villard-notre-dame/

Note: you'll notice major improvements to the video quality provided
you have the latest free version of QuickTime installed
(http://www.apple.com/quicktime/)... otherwise you won't see anything.
Both the video frame size and resolution have doubled without making
the file size larger.

enjoy,
Steve
www.steephill.tv bike travelogue

Old November 9th 06, 06:50 PM posted to rec.bicycles.rides
Tim McNamara

In article .com,
"steephill" wrote:

Here is our video and photo report from one of the most spectacular
roads we've ever cycled:

http://www.steephill.tv/2006/villard-notre-dame/

When I was in the Alps we stayed in Vert, directly below the tunnel
visible from the Romanche Valley. One of the other guests had ridden up
it and said it was a wonderful ride, but we didn't make time to do it.
Looks like a great ride!
Old November 9th 06, 08:55 PM posted to rec.bicycles.rides
steephill

When I was in the Alps we stayed in Vert, directly below the tunnel
visible from the Romanche Valley.

I'm looking at my map and I see it. Le Vert seems like a good
location... close to Bourg d'Oisans for provisions but far enough away
from the noise?

One of the other guests had ridden up
it and said it was a wonderful ride, but we didn't make time to do it.
Looks like a great ride!

There are so many great Alps rides, it's impossible to do them all in
one trip.

Old November 9th 06, 11:32 PM posted to rec.bicycles.rides
Tim McNamara

In article m,
"steephill" wrote:

When I was in the Alps we stayed in Vert, directly below the tunnel
visible from the Romanche Valley.

I'm looking at my map and I see it. Le Vert seems like a good
location... close to Bourg d'Oisans for provisions but far enough
away from the noise?

Yes. The chambre-d'hote was very quiet, we slept well, and the hosts
were most accommodating. The food was excellent- breakfast was included
and we had supper there most nights- and the price more than reasonable.

One of the other guests had ridden up it and said it was a
wonderful ride, but we didn't make time to do it. Looks like a
great ride!

There are so many great Alps rides, it's impossible to do them all in
one trip.

C'et vrai!

The "other guest" was Fons Moors, a former winner of the Herentals
Alpe-d'Huez 1983, La Marmotte 1984 and three races up Mt. Ventoux in the
late 70s/early 80s, and a very nice gentleman to boot. He had taken his
camera and filmed his ride up to Villard Notre Dame. He was very
enthusiastic about the Alps and was very generous with good advice.

It's fun to look at these things, as it takes me back to my own trip to
the Alps. I hope to get back there someday.
Old November 11th 06, 06:26 AM posted to rec.bicycles.rides
Mike Jacoubowsky

Here is our video and photo report from one of the most spectacular
roads we've ever cycled:

http://www.steephill.tv/2006/villard-notre-dame/

You have no idea how much you've ruined my life. I've looked across to that
road many times and dreamed of riding it, but it just never worked out.
Always there with groups that didn't allow for time in the schedule to do
it. Your photos confirm my very worst fears... that it might be the ultimate
climb on a bike. Somehow I'm going to have to allow an extra day or two in
my schedule next time so I can ride up there.

But here's a dumb question for you. Why would anybody go to so much trouble
to build a road like that? It gets very little traffic and appears to have
very little at the top. It's not as if it goes up to a major ski resort (not
that the road could support that type of traffic anyway). Did it begin as a
goat path and just got improved over the years?

--Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

oups.com...

Old November 11th 06, 04:21 PM posted to rec.bicycles.rides
Tim McNamara

In article ,
"Mike Jacoubowsky" wrote:

But here's a dumb question for you. Why would anybody go to so much
trouble to build a road like that? It gets very little traffic and
appears to have very little at the top. It's not as if it goes up to
a major ski resort (not that the road could support that type of
traffic anyway). Did it begin as a goat path and just got improved
over the years?

Like many places in the Alps, I wonder what the heck a village is doing
there in the first place. Searching the Web, it seems that there are
ski touring trails up there so there may be some winter usage.
According to the French Wikipedia article, Villard-Notre-Dame has a
population of 41 (in 1999) and comprises 14 square kilometers. I wonder
if they are year-round residents and how the heck they get down that
road in the winter. Even when ploughed it would be scary a heck.
Old November 12th 06, 07:10 AM posted to rec.bicycles.rides
steephill

Other than the guy who looked like he was doing the interviewing in
just his tighty-whities, a good video.

Old November 12th 06, 07:57 AM posted to rec.bicycles.rides
steephill

But here's a dumb question for you. Why would anybody go to so much trouble
to build a road like that? It gets very little traffic and appears to have
very little at the top. It's not as if it goes up to a major ski resort (not
that the road could support that type of traffic anyway). Did it begin as a
goat path and just got improved over the years?

No, that's a good question. I did some brief research to learn more
about Villard Notre Dame when I wrote my report but I didn't find any
historic information online. It's possible there was a monastery there
a long time ago and that the monks originally built the road since we
know it's a village with religious roots. That's pure speculation...
but the monks have a reputation for selecting remote, scenic
mountaintop sites. Now, the Oisans/French taxpayers subsidize it's
maintenance. The road is in good shape all the way to Villard Notre
Dame by the way.

Old November 14th 06, 12:34 AM posted to rec.bicycles.rides
Mike Jacoubowsky

[...]

I did find a photo on a different website with a roadside marker
commemorating some guy who "built" the road in 1939. My guess is that he may
have been responsible for the "modern" version, since it would appear that
the village at the top is much older than 1939.

--Mike Jacoubowsky
Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReaction.com
Redwood City & Los Altos, CA USA

oups.com...

Old November 14th 06, 01:18 AM posted to rec.bicycles.rides
steephill

On Nov 13, 4:34 pm, "Mike Jacoubowsky" wrote:

I did find a photo on a different website with a roadside marker
commemorating some guy who "built" the road in 1939. My guess is that he may
have been responsible for the "modern" version, since it would appear that
the village at the top is much older than 1939.

Yes, that's in Jean-Philippe Battu report which I Iinked to in my
report:
"This road has been built by Joseph Paganon in 1939"

I've been in touch with Jean-Philippe a few times. I'll bring it up
next time we are in touch and see if he has anything to add.

Steve
www.steephill.tv bike travelogue

French Alps episode #2: Col de Sarenne - The B side of Alpe d'Huez steephill Rides 1 October 5th 06 02:41 PM
French Alps Report #1: La Marmotte featuring Alpe d'Huez and Col du Galibier steephill Rides 5 September 28th 06 11:11 PM
Alpe d'Huez Meschersmit UK 6 July 28th 04 09:26 PM
TT in Alpe d'HUez CTRDY01 Racing 66 October 30th 03 06:38 AM
Mazzoleni Conquers Alpe d'Huez Ryan Cousineau General 0 July 17th 03 05:13 AM