So we bought the tandem

Old April 26th 04, 11:47 PM
Chris Neary

Default So we bought the tandem

Is the husband *always* captain ? I understand it conforms to the usage of
the male more often driving the car or assuming (apparent) leadership,...
But I am still surprised to see that in practically all reports I read on
tandeming there is practically none where the husband is stoker and the
wife captain.

Since the male is often the larger/heavier rider, bike fitting is simplified
and handling of the tandem (starting/stopping and to a lesser extent
steering) are better suited to having the larger/heavier rider as captain.

This topic came up recently on the tandem e-mail list, and while the vast
majority of mixed teams had male captains, quite a few women captain's
participated in the discussion.

Chris Neary

Chris & Tracey
1999 Co-Motion Speedster
Old April 26th 04, 11:58 PM
Roger Zoul

AustinMN wrote:
:: Roger Zoul wrote:
::: Claire Petersky wrote:
::: .
::::: o Our speed was totally kick ass. We were cruising along, at an
::::: effort that would have produced in our mutual estimations about 17
::::: mph in him and 15 in me, but I know we were going probably 22 at a
::::: minimum. We rode past a couple of This Is Your Speed signs
::::: (speeding along the lake is a real problem), and were at 17 mph
::::: on an uphill stretch, and 25 on a flat. Maybe we'll eventually
::::: buy a computer for it.
:::
::: Get a computer, cheapo!
::
:: even worse stuff snipped
::
:: Somehow, flaming Claire comes across to me a little bit like flaming
:: Mother Theresa. There's no reason to, and everybody knows only an
:: ignorant jackass would do it.

That's not a flame, it was suggestion, jackass!

::
:: Austin

Old April 26th 04, 11:59 PM
Roger Zoul

David Reuteler wrote:
:: AustinMN wrote:
::: Somehow, flaming Claire comes across to me a little bit like
::: flaming Mother Theresa. There's no reason to, and everybody knows
::: only an ignorant jackass would do it.
::
:: i kinda like it when people flame claire. her replies get funnier
:: and
:: better with the intensity of the flame so knock yourself out. i'm
:: sure
:: she can take a challenge. i could use a laugh.
::
:: i don't think the flame in question really was, tho. possibly in
:: poor
:: taste but it didn't read like a proper flame to me. i'd be much more
:: irritated at being compared to a religious character myself.

why did it even seem like a flame? She even commented about getting a
computer, I was just encouraging her along that path, since i find them fun.

Old April 27th 04, 12:04 AM
David Reuteler

Roger Zoul wrote:
why did it even seem like a flame? She even commented about getting a
computer, I was just encouraging her along that path, since i find them fun.

it didn't. not to me, anyway.
--
david reuteler

Old April 27th 04, 12:04 AM
David Reuteler

Roger Zoul wrote:
That's not a flame, it was suggestion, jackass!

see now, that's a flame.
--
david reuteler

Old April 27th 04, 12:13 AM
AustinMN

David Reuteler wrote:
Roger Zoul wrote:
That's not a flame, it was suggestion, jackass!

see now, that's a flame.

No it's not, I deserved it.

Austin

--
I'm pedaling as fast as I durn well please!
There are no X characters in my address
Old April 27th 04, 12:26 AM
Dane Jackson

Jacques Moser wrote:

Is the husband *always* captain ? I understand it conforms to the usage of
the male more often driving the car or assuming (apparent) leadership,...
But I am still surprised to see that in practically all reports I read on
tandeming there is practically none where the husband is stoker and the
wife captain.
Ok, no problem with me, I prefer being captain, but I would expect women
to challenge us more than this.

Well, for my wife and I, I do captain. For many reasons, such as, I'm
much taller/heavier, I'm stronger, I have several orders of magnitude
more time on the bicycle than she does, etc. It would be basically be
unsafe for her to captain our tandem. As for driving the car, my wife
does all the driving unless she's ill or very tired. She tends to get
motionsick unless she is driving, and I confess I don't like to drive.

--
Dane Jackson - z u v e m b i @ u n i x b i g o t s . o r g
"If its sinful, it's more fun."
Old April 27th 04, 12:39 AM
Dane Jackson

Claire Petersky wrote:

Notes:
o My husband's used to riding at a higher cadence than me. Maybe it's just
as well I get used to that.

My regular cadence is a little fast for my wife, but she pronounced it
as reasonable. When I started spinning up for downhills and to try and
pickup speed she was very quickly convinced she needed clipless.

o He'll eventually learn to warn me when he decides he's going to coast, or
suddenly start pedaling again. Especially since the suddenly start pedaling
again thing could have potentially damaging consequences to my crotch.

We're working on this skill. We've only managed to get out three times
now (including this weekend). We took a spin over to Mercer Island for
a children's event.

o Our speed was totally kick ass. We were cruising along, at an effort that
would have produced in our mutual estimations about 17 mph in him and 15 in
me, but I know we were going probably 22 at a minimum. We rode past a couple
of This Is Your Speed signs (speeding along the lake is a real problem), and
were at 17 mph on an uphill stretch, and 25 on a flat. Maybe we'll
eventually buy a computer for it.

I'm really hating the speedo that came with the tandem. It doesn't do
automatic stop/start, which all the others I have do. Our speeds are
not nearly as nice as yours, but then my wife is not a regular cyclist
(and she does have the rather good excuse of being 24 weeks pregnant
Still, we go considerably faster than if we were constrained by her
being on a single.

o I'm close enough to him to *smell* him. And this was on only a 15 mile
thing largely in the late afternoon shade. Makes me wonder if we'll really
do the Flying Wheels Century together on that thing. He'll be pretty ripe on
a summer's day after a hundred miles.

Heh. I don't think this has come up yet. I'll have to show her your
post.

o Amusingly, I can literally kiss his ass, especially on downhills in a
tuck. Heh.

Heh. I haven't received any smooches, but someone does occasionally
develop wandering hands. Of course, she claims it just to place gloves
in my back pockets...

o It's easier for me to reach the water bottle when tucked into his back
jersey pocket than on the bike. Maybe after we both feel more confident on
the thing, we can reach down for waterbottles, but we're not quite there
yet.

Tina is having some problems with this, but our balancing does seem to
be getting smoother. Our starting is noticably better now.

Oh, and congrats on the new bike!

--
Dane Jackson - z u v e m b i @ u n i x b i g o t s . o r g
"Heck was created for those who refuse to believe in Gosh."
Old April 27th 04, 12:50 AM
Chris Neary

o He'll eventually learn to warn me when he decides he's going to coast, or
suddenly start pedaling again. Especially since the suddenly start pedaling
again thing could have potentially damaging consequences to my crotch.

Likely he will eventually learn to subtlety decrease/increase power as a cue
for you to do the same.

Chris Neary

Chris & Tracey
1999 Co-Motion Speedster
Old April 27th 04, 03:01 AM
Claire Petersky

"Roger Zoul" wrote in message
::: Get a computer, cheapo!

Since we had ownership of the bicycle for less than 24 hours, you may want
to excuse us for not having installed every component we would like the bike
to have.

That's not a flame, it was suggestion, jackass!

My, my, such language. And in mixed company, too.

I appreciate AustinMN chivalrously standing up for me, but really, there was
no offence taken.

Warm Regards,

Claire Petersky
Home of the meditative cyclist: