A bike you've never seen before

Old October 4th 05, 03:29 AM
Andy Gee

Default A bike you've never seen before

As long as I'm succumbing to the temptation of playing with technical
stuff, I thought I'd post this pictu

http://www.andygeeon2wheels.blogspot.com/

(I'm not a blogger, I was just leafing through ways of getting pictures on
the web)

--ag
Old October 6th 05, 08:28 PM
Bill

Andy Gee wrote:
As long as I'm succumbing to the temptation of playing with technical
stuff, I thought I'd post this pictu

http://www.andygeeon2wheels.blogspot.com/

(I'm not a blogger, I was just leafing through ways of getting pictures on
the web)

--ag

I was thinking of something like that to keep the upper body in shape,
but I was thinking more of a sit down bike. I used to have a 16' motor
boat that I could row both ways to build up the top half. Does this
thingy give you that kind of workout or is it more leg power? My
interest level just went into the red zone. I did see a kids bike waay
back in the 50's that could be hand cranked with a rotary motion but it
never caught on. It would be great to ride using arm power one day and
leg power the next.
Bill Baka (57 year old mountain biker).
Old October 7th 05, 03:46 AM
John McCaskill

Bill wrote:
snip
I was thinking of something like that to keep the upper body in shape,
but I was thinking more of a sit down bike. I used to have a 16' motor
boat that I could row both ways to build up the top half. Does this
thingy give you that kind of workout or is it more leg power? My
interest level just went into the red zone. I did see a kids bike waay
back in the 50's that could be hand cranked with a rotary motion but it
never caught on. It would be great to ride using arm power one day and
leg power the next.
Bill Baka (57 year old mountain biker).

Here you go Bill:

http://www.easyracers.com/images/Gar...n_handfoot.jpg

Regards,

John McCaskill

Old October 7th 05, 10:56 PM
Andy Gee

Bill wrote in
:

Andy Gee wrote:
As long as I'm succumbing to the temptation of playing with technical
stuff, I thought I'd post this pictu

http://www.andygeeon2wheels.blogspot.com/

(I'm not a blogger, I was just leafing through ways of getting
pictures on the web)

--ag

I was thinking of something like that to keep the upper body in shape,
but I was thinking more of a sit down bike. I used to have a 16' motor
boat that I could row both ways to build up the top half.

I row, canoe, kayak and swim every chance i get, for the upper body workout
in fresh air, but it's not often enough. Theoretically, a commuter could
safely sea kayak across the hudson from New Jersey to New York; there are
now kayak launches available to the public here.

Does this
thingy give you that kind of workout or is it more leg power? My
interest level just went into the red zone. I did see a kids bike waay
back in the 50's that could be hand cranked with a rotary motion but
it never caught on. It would be great to ride using arm power one day
and leg power the next.

Almost no leg workout at all, except the standing up part. It would be
actually more efficient for speed and upper body to get a parapalegic arm-
powered trike. However, this gives some torso and ab workout as well.
My goal on arm-powered bikes is to find something that combines upper and
lower body effort to go _faster_ than a regular bike (this ArmBike Street
Surfer might get 13 MPH tops) but maintain the convenience of a
conventional bicycle. But it is fun, it does give a good workout, and it
certainly breaks the ice at parties.

If you want something that gives a total body workout and is a little
easier to wrangle (the ArmBike weighs about 45 pounds!), I'll post a
picture of the Trikke-8 on my blog. The Trikke may or may not be a legal
bicycle in New York, depending on what your definitions of "belt" "lever"
and "pedal" are.

Here's the link:

http://photos1.blogger.com/blogger/5...24/trikke2.jpg

--ag

Old October 7th 05, 10:59 PM
Andy Gee

"John McCaskill" wrote in
oups.com:

Here you go Bill:

http://www.easyracers.com/images/Gar...n_handfoot.jpg

I've seen that picture floating around, but could never (and still can't)
find any tech specs or availability info.

By the way, anyone from the group is welcome to come and take a test drive
on any of the unusual vehicles I post about, just let me know.

--ag
Old October 8th 05, 06:35 AM
Bill

John McCaskill wrote:
Bill wrote:
snip
More snipping, news client problem
Here you go Bill:

http://www.easyracers.com/images/Gar...n_handfoot.jpg

Regards,

John McCaskill

That is strange looking but I did not see a clear cut path of power from
the bars to the wheels. I was thinking about that kind of a sitting
position but no pedals at all.
Bill
Old October 8th 05, 06:37 AM
Bill

Andy Gee wrote:
Bill wrote in
:

Andy Gee wrote:

Here's the link:

http://photos1.blogger.com/blogger/5...24/trikke2.jpg

--ag

That looks like a pure toy. I was thinking of longer rides of ten miles
or more to build up an Arnold type top half.
Bill
Old October 8th 05, 06:48 AM
Zoot Katz

Fri, 07 Oct 2005 21:56:54 GMT,
, Andy Gee
wrote:

heoretically, a commuter could
safely sea kayak across the hudson from New Jersey to New York; there are
now kayak launches available to the public here.

That's the method I would use for a compulsory evacuation of the city.
--
zk
Old October 8th 05, 05:10 PM
Andy Gee

Bill wrote in :

Andy Gee wrote:
Bill wrote in
:

Andy Gee wrote:

Here's the link:

http://photos1.blogger.com/blogger/5...24/trikke2.jpg

--ag

That looks like a pure toy. I was thinking of longer rides of ten miles
or more to build up an Arnold type top half.
Bill

It's more of a zen meditation aid than toy. The motive force is subtle
manipulation of balance more than brute exertion. I've gone 25 miles on it
-- nothing becomes an "official" member of the fleet unless it can go from
my house to New Jersey and back. My wife really likes the effect it has on
my upper body, but it's definitely not Arnold-izing. You need to be a
brick carrier for that.

--ag
Old October 10th 05, 06:49 AM
Bill

Andy Gee wrote:

It's more of a zen meditation aid than toy. The motive force is subtle
manipulation of balance more than brute exertion. I've gone 25 miles on it
-- nothing becomes an "official" member of the fleet unless it can go from
my house to New Jersey and back. My wife really likes the effect it has on
my upper body, but it's definitely not Arnold-izing. You need to be a
brick carrier for that.

--ag

If you have made 25 miles on it then kudos to you. I now have to wonder
if it will take hills and how do you stop it fast? Toy, invention, or
whatever, it is a trend that probably should take off so people could
get the upper workout. I find lifting weights boring, but rowing a boat
through places motorized boats can't get to keeps me busy when I get the
chance. New places to explore get me going much better than a gym
membership ever would.
Bill

My New Bike brucianna General 6 June 8th 05 08:45 AM
Trips for Kids 13th Annual Bike Swap & Sale Marilyn Price Rides 0 June 1st 04 04:53 AM
Trips for Kids 13th Annual Bike Swap & Sale Marilyn Price General 0 June 1st 04 04:52 AM
Trips for Kids 13th Annual Bike Swap & Sale Marilyn Price Recumbent Biking 0 June 1st 04 04:49 AM
aus.bicycle FAQ (Monthly(ish) Posting) kingsley Australia 3 February 24th 04 08:44 PM