pinch flats

Old October 9th 05, 12:33 AM
Zoot Katz

Default pinch flats

Sat, 08 Oct 2005 16:12:40 GMT,
,
wrote:

Bill Baka writes:

\szip
Its shape is like pinching your cheek.

Jobst Brandt

This is going to be a hard image for me to dispell; JB tweaking BB's
cheek.
--
zk
Old October 9th 05, 12:34 AM
Zoot Katz

Sat, 08 Oct 2005 19:00:01 -0400,
,
Marlene Blanshay wrote:

wrote:
I got a couple of really bad pinch flats in Holland, where the mortar
was missing between the pavers on the bike trail, and I rode into the
gap.

This reminds me... i just remembered. I dreamed last night, or this
morning, that I was fixing a flat tire! I was about to take out my bike
when I noticed the tire was flat. I thought, oh S***....so I set about
fixing the flat. At first I wasn't sure I'd done a very good job, so i
asked a friend (another cyclist who is very tech savvy) if he could take
a look at it. He said I did it fine, but I just needed to inflate it a
bit more. I said fine, I'd do that, and I was surprised I'd done a good job!

And the best part is that you didn't even get your hands dirty!
--
zk
Old October 9th 05, 02:34 AM
Marlene Blanshay

Zoot Katz wrote:
Sat, 08 Oct 2005 19:00:01 -0400,
,
Marlene Blanshay wrote:

wrote:

I got a couple of really bad pinch flats in Holland, where the mortar
was missing between the pavers on the bike trail, and I rode into the
gap.

This reminds me... i just remembered. I dreamed last night, or this
morning, that I was fixing a flat tire! I was about to take out my bike
when I noticed the tire was flat. I thought, oh S***....so I set about
fixing the flat. At first I wasn't sure I'd done a very good job, so i
asked a friend (another cyclist who is very tech savvy) if he could take
a look at it. He said I did it fine, but I just needed to inflate it a
bit more. I said fine, I'd do that, and I was surprised I'd done a good job!

And the best part is that you didn't even get your hands dirty!

and the good thing is it happened before i left the house, rather than
out on the road somewhere...
Old October 9th 05, 04:50 AM
the new number 2

"Bill" wrote in message
gds wrote:
Someone please help me out in understanding the term. I have always
thought of pinch flats as what happens when a tube is improperly seated
in the tire ans gets "pinched" between the tire and rim wall.

In this group lots of folks seem to refer to pinch flats as what
happens with "too small" tires for the load being carried. Is the idea
that the load essentially flattens the tire and thus "pinches" the tube
between the tire and rim body?

If this is so I have never seen that happen. Is it really a matter of
load or insufficient inflation?

Thanks!

I think it is something like that when you hit a rock or a decent
pothole the tire can't hold its shape and the tube gets pinched between
the rim and the obstacle.
Bill

and pinch flats are one reason not to BUI

Old October 10th 05, 04:46 PM
gds

Thanks again!
I imagine that since I basically ride only road bikes and run pretty
high pressure are the reasons for my lack of familiarity.
But it is good to have common definitions when discussing anything!

Flats associated with spoke head positions Kurt L. General 3 September 13th 05 08:43 PM
Lots of flats - is it time for new tires? [email protected] General 4 August 3rd 05 03:58 PM
27 vs. 700 pinch flats meb Techniques 1 May 8th 05 06:53 PM
4 flats on one (road bike) ride! Mike Jacoubowsky/Chain Reaction Bicycles Rides 21 December 22nd 04 12:41 AM
4 flats on one (road bike) ride! Mike Jacoubowsky/Chain Reaction Bicycles Rides 0 December 11th 04 12:20 AM