need an easy to use bike rack

Old August 3rd 03, 05:44 AM
M&M

Default need an easy to use bike rack

BB wrote in message ...
On Sat, 02 Aug 2003 12:01:36 GMT, B a r r y B u r k e J r . wrote:
On Sat, 02 Aug 2003 07:42:47 -0400, bike wrote:

I have the mat. It's the sides that get scratch up and it's looking
pretty bad now.

You could put a fork mount on a 2x6, knock 1/2 the rear seat down, and
stand the bike up inside. A second rubber mat can protect the back of
the folded seat from mud.

You can get the fork mounts from Performance for $10 each. I've known a
few people that have used these, mounted on a 2x6 or something like that.
It seems pretty nice to be able to keep the bike inside the vehicle from a
security perspective, even if it is kind of a mess.

I've been shopping around for a pickup truck and the sales woman at
my local Dodge dealer showed me a very interesting feature in the bed
of the Ram pickup . 2 plastic tabs that can be pryed off (near the
back of the cab ) revealing locations where fork mounts can be
attached . Also in the Ram Quad cab , you can lift the rear seats an 2
metal plates fold out so you can place your bike behind the front
seats ( the rear doors open to 90 degrees ), which I thought to be a
nice touch . Some of the engineers must be mountain bikers .

M&M
Old August 4th 03, 04:32 AM
Pete

"bike" wrote in message
I have the mat. It's the sides that get scratch up and it's looking
pretty bad now. That is the reason I bought the big-ass SUV but it's
still to small for my bike.

Ayup. If only prospective SUV buyers would actually evaluate the storage
space in the back of those things. The 4WD mech takes up so much space, the
floor is higher. Badly reducing interior storage space.

Trade it in and get a minivan. Cheaper, better ride, better gas mileage, far
more useful storage space.

hehe...but it's not as *cool*, is it?

Pete

Old August 4th 03, 11:52 AM
B a r r y B u r k e J r .

On Mon, 04 Aug 2003 03:28:44 GMT, "Pete" wrote:

Me? I have a $0 2x4 rack in the bed of my (non extended cab) pickup. Having
to remove the wheels to haul it in a pickup is a serious disconnect.

When I had a truck, I didn't need ANY rack to haul my bike in the
back. G

Barry

Old August 5th 03, 07:59 AM
Jon Bond

"B a r r y B u r k e J r ." wrote
in message ...
On Mon, 04 Aug 2003 03:28:44 GMT, "Pete" wrote:

Me? I have a $0 2x4 rack in the bed of my (non extended cab) pickup.

Having
to remove the wheels to haul it in a pickup is a serious disconnect.

When I had a truck, I didn't need ANY rack to haul my bike in the
back. G

Barry

4 bungie cords seem to work pretty well, even in a small bed like in the
Baja (right Blaine?)

Although for longer trips with more cargo, I'd prefer a few fork mounts -
gives you more room for race bags in the bed.

Jon Bond

Trips for Kids 13th Annual Bike Swap & Sale Marilyn Price General 0 June 1st 04 04:52 AM
rear hitch bike rack curt General 12 March 18th 04 09:55 PM
surfboard bike rack Jeff General 11 November 3rd 03 08:57 AM
my new bike Marian Rosenberg General 5 October 19th 03 03:00 PM
Bike rack straps and spoilers Tim Lapin General 2 August 25th 03 02:33 AM