suggestion on seatpost

Old December 2nd 05, 05:19 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default suggestion on seatpost

I need a seatpost with the smallest distance from the center of the
saddle rails to the purely round portion of the post...

and ideas?

I have a thomson that is pretty low, but is there another with less
(short of a custom ax-lightness)...

?

tia,

Old December 2nd 05, 07:03 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

gregclimbs wrote:

I need a seatpost with the smallest distance from the center of the
saddle rails to the purely round portion of the post...

and ideas?

Use a traditional "pipe type" post with separate clamp, and install the
clamp upside down.

Sheldon "Clearance" Brown
| Love seems the swiftest, but it is the slowest of all growths. |
| No man or woman really knows what perfect love is until they |
| have been married a quarter of a century. --Mark Twain |
Phone 617-244-9772 FAX 617-244-1041
http://harriscyclery.com
Hard-to-find parts shipped Worldwide

Old December 3rd 05, 04:23 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Sheldon Brown wrote:
gregclimbs wrote:

I need a seatpost with the smallest distance from the center of the
saddle rails to the purely round portion of the post...

and ideas?

Use a traditional "pipe type" post with separate clamp, and install the
clamp upside down.

Sheldon "Clearance" Brown

If you want something more elegant than the post Sheldon suggests, you
can *look* for an old (80's) SR model, or the Simplex post it was copied
from, that holds the post just as low. I've been using one for years on
the rear of my tandem, I can take the rails down to brushing against the
top of the seat tube.

The Simplexes show up periodically on Ebay but in a 26.? size usually.
Haven't seen one of the SR's in years; I *think* the model was called
"P3" but I'm not sure.

Mark

Old December 3rd 05, 01:01 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

gregclimbs wrote:

I need a seatpost with the smallest distance from the center of the saddle rails to the purely round portion of the post...

Are you talking about vertical distance or horizontal (set back)? If
horizontal, Thomson has a zero set back model. I can't visualize why
you would need less vertical distance since there's always a couple of
inches of seat post exposed. Also note that the distance from the
rails to the saddle top varies (sometimes significantly) from one
saddle to another.

Art Harris

Old December 3rd 05, 01:11 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

gregclimbs wrote:
I need a seatpost with the smallest distance from the center of the
saddle rails to the purely round portion of the post...

and ideas?

I have a thomson that is pretty low, but is there another with less
(short of a custom ax-lightness)...

?

tia,

Similar to Sheldon's idea: I've used a Bontrager Race Lite with the
clamps turned upside down. Click on "View Larger" and imagine the rails
passing across the lower part of the circle:
http://www.bontrager.com/Road/Compon...osts/22088.php

Old December 3rd 05, 10:33 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

the offset is fine... the VERTICAL distance is what I am concerned
about...

this is for a tt bike with a full seatmast (seattube goes up to almost
the bottom of the saddle...

I would like to keep the mast as long as possible (and keep the
seatpost as buried as possible...

hence the question...

I don't think I can get much lower than the thompson...

Old December 4th 05, 01:28 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On 2 Dec 2005 09:19:15 -0800, "gregclimbs" wrote:

I need a seatpost with the smallest distance from the center of the
saddle rails to the purely round portion of the post...

How about an old fashioned round-post with separate clamp combo? That gets
your saddle rails exactly even with the top of your seattube if you want
it. Adjustability in tilt is less, though.

Jasper

Old December 4th 05, 01:30 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Fri, 02 Dec 2005 14:03:07 -0500, Sheldon Brown
wrote:

Use a traditional "pipe type" post with separate clamp, and install the
clamp upside down.

Are those supposed to have the rails above the clamp bolt? I always see
them installed and sold with the clamp above the saddle rails. Well,
except for the Brookses which have the rails going right through the
middle of the clamp.

Jasper