Painted chrome frame

Old December 3rd 05, 08:20 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default Painted chrome frame

Hello all,

I picked up a older GT Freestyle (20") bicycle at a yard sale but it had
been painted. The paint is pilling off and I can tell that it is chrome
underneath. What would be the best way of stripping the paint without
harming the chrome?

Thanks

Eric

To reply with email replace dot with .

Old December 3rd 05, 09:01 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

"CDC" wrote: (clip) The paint is pilling off (clip)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^
You mean like from a sweater? Just kidding.

Chrome is one of the most durable surfaces there is, so you will have to go
out of your way to damage it. Try scraping, or steel wool. Depending on
the paint, solvents like lacquer thinner or acetone may work. Next try a
gel type paint remover.

You could also try heating gently with a torch--the paint will soften and
blister. However, this is the one way you could damage the chrome. Too
much heat will turn it blue.

Old December 3rd 05, 09:27 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Sat, 3 Dec 2005 15:20:19 -0500, "CDC" wrote:

I picked up a older GT Freestyle (20") bicycle at a yard sale but it had
been painted. The paint is pilling off and I can tell that it is chrome
underneath. What would be the best way of stripping the paint without
harming the chrome?

It was almost certainly painted because the chrome was either peeling off
or no longer shiny, or both. Best option is probably having it re-chromed,
if you want the original look back.

Jasper
Old December 4th 05, 02:14 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

CDC wrote:
Hello all,

I picked up a older GT Freestyle (20") bicycle at a yard sale but it
had been painted. The paint is pilling off and I can tell that it is
chrome underneath. What would be the best way of stripping the paint
without harming the chrome?

Thanks

Eric

To reply with email replace dot with .

Try "Aircraft Remover" available at your local auto parts store to goop it
off. Also try using a scraper blade at your hardware store, or even a hard
plastic like the edge of a pair of safety scissors.
--
Phil, Squid-in-Training

Old December 4th 05, 08:19 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Sat, 3 Dec 2005 15:20:19 -0500, "CDC" wrote:

Hello all,

I picked up a older GT Freestyle (20") bicycle at a yard sale but it had
been painted. The paint is pilling off and I can tell that it is chrome
underneath. What would be the best way of stripping the paint without
harming the chrome?

Paint stripper is probably your best bet, as long as that's actually
chrome and not an aluminum frame under the paint.
--
Typoes are a feature, not a bug.

WTB: 58cm Trek or 57cm Lemond etc.. oclvframe Marketplace 1 October 24th 05 06:31 PM
FS: 55cm NOS Colnago Conic SLX frame and fork Frank Marketplace 0 October 7th 05 09:34 PM
New bicycle idea Bob Marley General 49 October 7th 04 05:20 AM
2003 Aegis Shaman Cyclocross Carbon Fiber 56 CM frame for sale Nat Busquelo Racing 0 August 24th 04 05:58 PM