"Dedicated Bike Lanes Can Cut Cycling Injuries in Half"

Old July 31st 13, 11:02 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
SMS

Default "Dedicated Bike Lanes Can Cut Cycling Injuries in Half"

See:
http://www.theatlanticcities.com/commute/2012/10/dedicated-bike-lanes-can-cut-cycling-injuries-half/3654/.

The full study is at
http://ajph.aphapublications.org/doi/pdf/10.2105/AJPH.2012.300762.

Warning! This is a peer-reviewed, scientifically sound, statistically
sound study. Eight of the authors have PhDs and two are MDs.

The article about the study is rather amusing. They try to be gentle,
but they do state that Forester's idea that biking in traffic is safer
than separate facilities was based on studies that were not
"well-conducted or appropriate."

Now to be fair to Forester, back when he came up with his ideas, there
weren't a lot of cycling facilities in North America, nor were there
well-conducted studies available for him to use in the formulation of
his postulates. I'm sure that he'll update his theories very soon to
jive with all the newly available evidence.
Old July 31st 13, 01:48 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
datakoll

https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&....1.CrTJswjREyY
Old July 31st 13, 06:38 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Gus

"sms" wrote in message
[...]

lol: "The researchers excluded bikers who were fatally injured (there
were two in this time period), those who couldn't remember or speak
about their rides,..."

why exclude them? I guess they are being thorough saying who they
sampled and interviewed. But it kinda of goes with out saying, that
dead people and those who could not communicate were not included.

Old August 1st 13, 12:36 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
datakoll

MANY path miles I've ridden were poisoned with insceticides or weed killer.

Have you read background on bikeways on the Blue Ridge Parkway ?