Why does my chain "lock up"

Old August 5th 03, 09:47 AM
Peter Tønnesen

Default Why does my chain "lock up"

"Dave Dixson" skrev i en meddelelse
om...
I am having a problem with my new Felt FS800 mountain bike (Deore
chanset) - every 10 miles or so, when changing gear with my front
derailer, when chain seems to get caught up somewhere. When it
happens, I am able to peddle maybe half a revolution forward and then
the chain locks completly.

I then have to peddle back, change gear and try again. This doesnt
always fix it right away though - sometimes I have to change gears a
couple of times.

I have heard of something called chain suck, but I thought it only
happened after the small ring had become worn - this is a brand new
bike.

If it is just a matter of adjusting the gears around I would prefer to
do it my self rather than return it, as the bike shop is quite a long
way away.

Sounds like chainsuck. Its often because of worn rings or "sucky" rings. My
XT crankset had the same problem, almost from the beginning. It helped a bit
when i changed the middle ring with a TA specialities, but it didnt solve
the problem completely.

Now i throw the XT crankset away and got myself a FSA Afterburner instead,
problem solved (almost). Its difficult to avoid completely. The problem may
happen in really muddy conditions to, muddy, dirty chain. Rough and bumpy
terrain and so on. But, it shouldnt happen as often as you are writing.

Solution: New chainrings :-( Clean rings and chain or look at Huws link :-)

Peter
DK

Old August 5th 03, 10:37 AM
bomba

Huw Pritchard wrote:

I have heard of something called chain suck, but I thought it only
happened after the small ring had become worn - this is a brand new bike.

It does indeed sound like chainsuck to me. Have a look at this:

http://www.mtbbritain.co.uk/chain_suck.html

Or this: http://www.fagan.co.za/Bikes/Csuck/

Unless your chain is dirty and worn, it's likely a design problem. I'd
be tempted to return the bike and get them to replace the chainset.

BTW, you 'pedal' a bike.
/Pet grievance

a.bmx FAQ: http://www.t-online.de/~jharris/bmx_faq.htm

Old August 5th 03, 12:53 PM
Mark Webb

I got the same problem for the first time on my new bike.

Turned out to be as simple as an incrrectly lubricated chain.
As yours is a new bike i suggest the same thing as i did to try and correct
the prolbem - give the chain a proper degrease and grease

cheers
Mark

Old August 5th 03, 01:24 PM
David L

Sounds to me like you have a twisted chain from shifting under load,
happened to me a new chain is the solution IMHO.

Dave 'top posting for life'

"Dave Dixson" wrote in message
om...
I am having a problem with my new Felt FS800 mountain bike (Deore
chanset) - every 10 miles or so, when changing gear with my front
derailer, when chain seems to get caught up somewhere. When it
happens, I am able to peddle maybe half a revolution forward and then
the chain locks completly.

I then have to peddle back, change gear and try again. This doesnt
always fix it right away though - sometimes I have to change gears a
couple of times.

I have heard of something called chain suck, but I thought it only
happened after the small ring had become worn - this is a brand new
bike.

If it is just a matter of adjusting the gears around I would prefer to
do it my self rather than return it, as the bike shop is quite a long
way away.

Cheers,

Dave.

Old August 5th 03, 03:30 PM
Peter Tønnesen

"Dave Dixson" skrev i en meddelelse
om...
Thanks for the info - sounds likne I am getting some form of 2-ring
suck, as it is always after I change gear.

I read that it can happen if you change gear under load - I do
probably change gear whilst the chain is under load (ie - I am
powering the bike), but not whilst going up hill - is this OK. It was
fine to do this on mu old MTB.

Off course its fine. But, it puts stress on the drivetrain, and if its worn,
dirty, sucky, it will make problems like chain suck. A MTB is build for that
sort of riding :-)

Peet
DK

Old August 5th 03, 05:54 PM
JD

(Dave Dixson) wrote in message . com...
I am having a problem with my new Felt FS800 mountain bike (Deore
chanset)

****mano chains suck.

JD
Old August 6th 03, 02:02 PM
Stephen Baker

Huw says:

Huw "Emergency Rimmer substitute" Pritchard

Thank heavens! I thought Sorni was gonna make me do it all......

Steve
Old August 7th 03, 11:54 AM
Dave Dixson

Bill - thanks for the advice, but I think I can beat even your SS for
chain-sucking resistance. Surly the BEST way to geid rid of chain
suck is to elimnate the chain altogether.

I am planning to discard my chain-sucking bike and get an off-road
penny-farthing instead. Could be a bit hairy on the downhills,
although full sus would probobably be fairly easy to implement.

Dave.