Headphones while riding?

Old May 31st 04, 02:43 AM
Mike

Default Headphones while riding?

hippy,
to some of us, "headphones" are the big ones designed to block external
noise. We wear earphones on bikes. I tend to turn mine off in traffic,
because the truck noise ruins the music :-)

Tamyka Bell wrote:
I've had a couple of incidents where people riding at dusk
with no lights and with headphones on have appeared in front of me and
as I call out a friendly "on your right" they just keep veering wherever
they please because they haven't heard me.

In their defence, much as I hate to defend the no-lights, you should
have rung your bell too. Friendly words arn't much use unless you
have made eye-contact first. Use the bell Bell!
Old May 31st 04, 03:00 AM
flyingdutch

hippy wrote:
[BThe only _modern_ 'guitar bands' I've got into have been Tool and
System of a Down...
psycho groupie cocaine crazy psycho groupie coke makes you high makes
you high makes you really want to go, STOP!
hippy

Ha! ... and perfect circle (Tool on a smaller gear

"Conversion, software version 7.0, Looking at life through the eyes of
tire hub, Eating seeds as a past time activity, The toxicity of ou
city, of our city

-

Old May 31st 04, 03:06 AM
Tamyka Bell

Tamyka Bell wrote:
I've had a couple of incidents where people riding at dusk
with no lights and with headphones on have appeared in front of me and
as I call out a friendly "on your right" they just keep veering wherever
they please because they haven't heard me.

In their defence, much as I hate to defend the no-lights, you should
have rung your bell too. Friendly words arn't much use unless you
have made eye-contact first. Use the bell Bell!

Please don't call me that. I get enough of that at work.
Old May 31st 04, 03:45 AM
hippy

Originally posted by flyingdutch
Ha! ... and perfect circle (Tool on a smaller gear )

Nah, too soft for me

"Conversion, software version 7.0, Looking at life through the eyes o
a tire hub, Eating seeds as a past time activity, The toxicity of ou
city, of our city

I think we've done this before, but

"Mind illusions accquainted Bubbles erotica Plutonium wedding ring
Icicle stretchings Bicycle shoe-strings One flag, flag number on
Hitting the paintings of the live!

He said "bicycle" OMG! :

Innervision: "It’s never too late to reinvent the bicycle...

hipp
- cranking SOAD out at work in between Beyer sets and Slater sets :

-

Old May 31st 04, 04:00 AM
coowoowoo

Tamyka Bell wrote:
I've had a couple of incidents where people riding at dusk with no
lights and with headphones on have appeared in front of me and as I
call out a friendly "on your right" they just keep veering wherever
they please because they haven't heard me.

In their defence, much as I hate to defend the no-lights, you should
have rung your bell too. Friendly words arn't much use unless you have
made eye-contact first. Use the bell Bell!

Good point I like to use the simultaneous bell/yell method myself.. An
what is with people riding bikes with no lights.. front or back. The
are so cheap to buy.. I have no sympathy for people who dont wear
helmet and use lights etc. I just hope that not too much of my ta
payers dollar goes towards your medical bills

-

Old May 31st 04, 02:04 PM
Justin

Don't know 'bout the legalities, but I wear 2 buds on a bike path, 1 on the
road (left ear as cars pass on the right).
"hippy" wrote in message
.. .
I used to ride in country Vic all the time with a Walkman but stopped
totally in Melbourne.

This morning, for some unknown reason, I decided to use them again and
it wasn't too bad at all. Something different. It _was_ 6am Sunday
morning though and not weekday peak hour so traffic volume (not db :P)
was very low.

Is it illegal? Is it dangerous? Who does it? One or both ears? Is
traffic volume (number of cars not db) an issue for you?

As cfsmtb would say... Discuss.

hippy singing going to the track worlds today, i'm going to the track
worlds today, the aussies will make other nations pay, i'm going to the
track worlds today, even if skys are gray, some time at the end of May,
i'm going to the track worlds today..

Old May 31st 04, 08:06 PM
DRS

"Zebee Johnstone" wrote in message

In aus.bicycle on Mon, 31 May 2004 04:15:55 +1000
DRS wrote:
"Spider1977" wrote in message

[...]

If it's good enough for a car driver to be couped up in a sound
proof cabin with the radio, stereo or mobile going then why not for
a humble cyclist.

Their cabins are not soundproof. It's as illegal for a cyclist to
put themselves in a position where they cannot hear what's going on
around them as it is for anybody else on the roads.

Good thing that complete silence is so hard to achieve then, isn't
it.,

If course it's quite legal to ride or drive even if you are deaf
so I've no idea where you got that factoid from.

The law, smartarse. Having your stereo up so loud you can't hear what's
going on around you - things like ambulances and what have you - is deemed
unsafe. If you don't believe me go and have a chat with your local
neighbourhood magistrate next time you're passing the courthouse.

--

A: Top-posters.

Old May 31st 04, 08:08 PM
DRS

"Tamyka Bell" wrote in message

[...]

I think headphones are more of a problem on (e.g.) cycle paths and
shared paths. I've had a couple of incidents where people riding at
dusk with no lights and with headphones on have appeared in front of
me and as I call out a friendly "on your right" they just keep
veering wherever they please because they haven't heard me. Not a
regular occurrence though.

That's where air horns are so useful. And fun.

--

A: Top-posters.

Old May 31st 04, 08:20 PM
DRS

"coowoowoo" wrote in message

[...]

And what is with people riding bikes with no lights.. front or back.
They
are so cheap to buy.. I have no sympathy for people who dont wear a
helmet and use lights etc.

It's illegal here in Vic for bicycles not to have lights. And before Zebee
starts getting up in arms about the bleeding obvious check out the Road
Safety (General) Regulations 1999, Schedule 4, Traffic Infringement Code
2228 'Fail to have lights or equipment', Penalty $50. Then there's Code
2229 'Riding improperly', Penalty $50 and Code 2230 'Misuse bicycle path,
separated footpath or shared path or footpath or fail to use bicycle lane',
Penalty $50. Don't forget Code 2233 'Fail to wear securely fitted approved
bicycle helmet', Penalty $50 and Code 2234 'Use a bicycle to carry a person
who is not wearing a securely fitted approved bicycle helmet', Penalty $50.

Oh, and for the sake of the record (because it's a question that keeps
coming up time and again), Code 2232 'Ride more than 2 abreast', Penalty
$50.

--

A: Top-posters.

Old May 31st 04, 09:24 PM
Zebee Johnstone

In aus.bicycle on Tue, 1 Jun 2004 05:06:44 +1000
DRS wrote:
The law, smartarse. Having your stereo up so loud you can't hear what's
going on around you - things like ambulances and what have you - is deemed
unsafe. If you don't believe me go and have a chat with your local
neighbourhood magistrate next time you're passing the courthouse.

I don't need to. You are the one making the claim, you get to back it
up.

And while you are at it you can explain the difference between "wearing
headphones" and "so loud you can't hear ambulances", plus you can show
which bicycle portable soundsystems can do that when earplugs can't.

And you can show how the law deals with deaf cyclists.

You claim, you prove. usenet at its finest....

Zebee

--
Zebee Johnstone ), proud holder of
aus.motorcycles Poser Permit #1.