Keep your head up!

Old June 17th 04, 07:30 AM
hippy

Default Keep your head up!

Originally posted by flyingdutch

No loss of consciousness (yet )

Keep trying.. it's fun.. really...

Pretty sure Cecil Walker use Paconi to make all their frames.

I second the 'pretty sure'.

Should cheer yourself up and use the opportunity to surf bike-porn.
Cue Hippy...

Seeing as though my fixie is done at the powdercoaters, here's a custom
Seven fixie: http://www.fixedgeargallery.com/timdodge.htm

Check out some of the other machines on that site!

For something more high tech: http://www.cyclingnews.com/teamtech04.php-
?id=tech/2004/probikes/madone_ssl_armstrong

For some porn components: http://www.paulcomp.com/

hippy "Satisfies.."

Old June 17th 04, 08:15 AM
flyingdutch

hippy [/i]
[b][quote][i]Originally posted by flyingdutch wrote:
No loss of consciousness (yet )

Keep trying.. it's fun.. really...

I'll take your word on that one...

Besides, how can you tell its fun if your unconscious???

My most recent close shaves have been older-people-of-asian-decent
stepping out in front of me in Vic St Richmond. perhaps they are
used to the more 'organic' traffic rules/style that you hear so much
about in Asia?

I think Im about 2 years now without an accident. maybe Im not trying
hard enough. I doubt I can ride more...

Old June 17th 04, 10:30 AM
aeek

Originally posted by hippy
Seeing as though my fixie is done at the powdercoaters, here's
a custom Seven fixie:
http://www.fixedgeargallery.com/timdodge.htm

um, what if they stop making tyres in that colour before Seven needs a
repaint? my powdercoated R531 is smooth and shiny, ok a few nicks, and
she's old enough to drink!

Old June 17th 04, 11:11 AM
NickZX6R

jazmo wrote:
suzyj wrote:
Originally posted by jazmo:
What are the chances of me being able to get that frame
repaired ? ;-).
This bike is of real sentimental value to me and I intend to keep it.

If it's steel, they're probably pretty good. Tube replacement is simply
a matter of cutting the top and down tubes, then heating the lugs to pop
the stuffed tube ends out, then cleaning it up and putting in new tubes.
Go see a (good) frame builder.
Regards,
Suzy

Thanks for the advice Suzy. I had it built by Cecil Walker cycles (don't
know who the frame builder is) and it's made of Reynolds 653 tubing
(it's 12 years old). I might take the bike back to the shop and see what
they have to say.

--

Technically I expect it's very much repairable. Sounds like it might be
a new top tube, head tube and down tube so it will just be a matter of

Anyway, the TdF starts ina a couple of weeks so you can get some
vicarious riding in while you recover.

--
Nick
Old June 18th 04, 02:30 AM
flyingdutch

hippy wrote:
Gee, after all my talk of not needing a bell in the other thread, I have
TWO close calls on last night's commute with peds! Now, these were close
calls, the bell would've been useless but it's funny that it should
happen after my "I rarely see peds" statement that very day! I must have
cursed myself...
hippy

dont even think of looking sideways at the 'puncture fairy'

Old June 18th 04, 02:30 AM
hippy

Originally posted by flyingdutch I'll take your word on that one...
Besides, how can you tell its fun if your unconscious???

sarcasm.. my memory isn't as good as it should be these days.. i'm not
sure if that's from the knocks or the grog?

Old June 18th 04, 03:45 AM
ritcho

flyingdutch wrote:
dont even think of looking sideways at the 'puncture fairy'

Just don't say it three times. This morning there was not one, but two
stranded riders on Anzac Bridge. They were at more or less opposite ends
of the bridge, fixing flats... lucky for both that they seemed to be
carrying spares and tools.

Ritch

Old June 18th 04, 04:34 AM
rickster

jazmo wrote in message ...
Rickster wrote:

[snip]

Rick, are you able to give me a description of the "aftermath". I can't
remember actually hitting the car. I regained consciousness just before
the ambos put me in the ambulance.

Well, you were long gone when we came past, all we could see was the
car parked by the side of the road with it's windscreen broken and
lots of glass (and blood) on the road. This was about 10.30-11.00 am.

That's all I can give you, sorry !!
Old June 18th 04, 10:01 AM
andrew

Heres a bike to replace your broken one
http://www.cyclery.com.au/bicycles.html

"jazmo" wrote in message
.. .
At the risk of making a fool of myself, I thought I'd remind you all to
keep your heads up while riding.

On the morning of Saturday 5th June, I rode into the back of a parked
car (sedan) at speed ~35-40 kph, while riding along the Eplanade in
Brighton - heading towards St Kilda. My head went through the rear
windscreen and I received lacerations to my face, a factured vertebra
(not a serious one) and some ligament damage to my neck. My face is
recovering after having undergone plastic surgery and I need to wear a
neckbrace for the next 6 weeks.

The accident occurred after some sweeping bends along the road just
before the Brighton Baths. I figure I had my head down coming out the
last bend while inpecting the buckle in my rear wheel (as a result of a
broken spoke). I looked up and there was the car.

All up, I've come off pretty lightly considering the nature of
the accident.

I thought I'd let you all know about this because if this sort of
accident can happen to me it can happen to anyone.

Old June 18th 04, 10:11 AM
andrew

Sorry for top posting
Just for that I'll suspend myself from work for two days:-)

Head Stems xbgs351 Australia 10 June 14th 04 01:46 PM
Head Injuries. Am I right, or have I suffered a few too many Mark Thompson UK 5 April 27th 04 09:38 AM