Rowbike

Old June 25th 04, 11:40 AM
Gags

Default Rowbike

Ever seen one of these in Aust???

http://www.bike-on.com/newhandcycles/Rowbike726King.htm

Could be fun although steering might be a challenge.

Ride On,

Gags

Old June 25th 04, 01:12 PM
HUMBUG

On Fri, 25 Jun 2004 20:40:58 +1000, Gags tba@tba Wrote :
Ever seen one of these in Aust???

Many moons ago - like over 30 years - there were a couple of home
made work-alikes getting around on all the rides. There used
to be quite a few organised rides in 'the good old days'
(the '60's and '70's).

Anyhow the old ones were a single speed with the 'gearing'
being changed by the posi of the pulling end of the chain on
the lever (for want of a better word). The other end of the chain
was kept under control by a long spring just strong enough to
take up the chain.

Someone else oughta remember 'em they were both on the ride over the
West Gate the day before it opened. Ray P., Peter Sig. perhaps ??

Perhaps it's only my memory but there used to be heaps of rides
with heaps of people on 'em. There was that ride around Packenham,
the bike ride into spring and of course the legendry MAD ride.
Surely there were more than that - anyone ?

--

Humbug
Old June 25th 04, 01:27 PM
D&M Johnston

"Gags" tba@tba wrote in message ...
Ever seen one of these in Aust???

http://www.bike-on.com/newhandcycles/Rowbike726King.htm

Could be fun although steering might be a challenge.

Ride On,

Gags

Oh Man what a contraption!!

Now I don't have a degree in physics, mechanics or any damn ics, but it's
got me intrigued on how you actually get to move anywhere as the chain
that's comming off the rear cluster seems to be bolted on a bracket of some
kind, which kinda looks to me like a rocking bike/horse type
contraption.Just how does the chain continue around if it stops at the
rowing impliment? mmmm, might get Prof. Hippy on this one!! hehehe

DJ

Old June 25th 04, 03:51 PM
Terry Collins

D&M Johnston wrote:

Now I don't have a degree in physics, mechanics or any damn ics, but it's
got me intrigued on how you actually get to move anywhere as the chain
that's comming off the rear cluster seems to be bolted on a bracket of some
kind, which kinda looks to me like a rocking bike/horse type
contraption.Just how does the chain continue around if it stops at the
rowing impliment?

My guess is that the excess/extra chain and return spring is actually
inside the pulling handle shaft.

Steering by feet pressure on the shoulders of the front forks?
Old June 26th 04, 04:30 AM
Mike

D&M Johnston wrote:
"Gags" tba@tba wrote in message ...

Ever seen one of these in Aust???

http://www.bike-on.com/newhandcycles/Rowbike726King.htm

Now I don't have a degree in physics, mechanics or any damn ics, but it's
got me intrigued on how you actually get to move anywhere as the chain
that's comming off the rear cluster seems to be bolted on a bracket of some
kind, which kinda looks to me like a rocking bike/horse type
contraption.Just how does the chain continue around if it stops at the
rowing impliment?

Fascinating! The chain doesnt go around, just back and forth. Its not
continuous. I'd like to try one of these!
Old June 26th 04, 05:15 AM
hippy

Originally posted by D&M Johnston Now I don't have a degree in physics,
mechanics or any damn ics, but it's got me intrigued on how you
actually get to move anywhere as the chain that's comming off the rear
cluster seems to be bolted on a bracket of some kind, which kinda looks
to me like a rocking bike/horse type contraption.Just how does the
chain continue around if it stops at the rowing impliment? mmmm, might
get Prof. Hippy on this one!! hehehe

http://www.rowbike.com/video.shtml

It's a 'forward and back' motion so the chain doesn't actually have to
go all the way around methinks. Pulling the lever pulls the chain
forward and rotates the rear wheel and pushing it back just rotates the
freewheel back to the start position, repeat. I don't know if the rear
derailer would have enough movement to properly tension the chain
though? Maybe it does get sucked up the big lever?

Hmm.. different vids confuse the matter.. if it IS fixed then excessive
chainwear might be an issue due to the chain angle.

There's lots of vids on the original site that might help...
http://www.rowbike.com/assembly.htm

Steering is via the handlebars like a normal bike except there must be a
linkage to let it control the front wheel.

It looks damn silly!

hippy

Old June 27th 04, 01:09 PM
Peter Signorini

"HUMBUG" wrote in message

Anyhow the old ones were a single speed with the 'gearing'
being changed by the posi of the pulling end of the chain on
the lever (for want of a better word). The other end of the chain
was kept under control by a long spring just strong enough to
take up the chain.

There was a similar 'rowbike' about in the late 70s/early 80s, but it was
much superior. The pivot point was further forward on the steering crown so
steering was by hands and feet as you rowed. Both hands and feet provided
power, and there was a control to slide the chain connection point up/down
to give gear range via different leverage.

Someone else oughta remember 'em they were both on the ride over the
West Gate the day before it opened. Ray P., Peter Sig. perhaps ??

Indeed I was on that ride, but that was a fearfully long time ago. A gent
named Alan Parker sold me a copy of the first issue of Freewheeling magazine
at that Bikeweek Rally. And the Bicycle Institute of Victoria (now BV) took
us up the West Gate Bridge in defiance of Police instructions. So BV was the
original Critical Mass, using non-violent protest to assert cyclist' rights.

Perhaps it's only my memory but there used to be heaps of rides
with heaps of people on 'em. There was that ride around Packenham,

Vague memory of this but I can't name it.

the bike ride into spring

Spring Bike - conducted by the State Bike Commitee I think.

and of course the legendry MAD ride.

Which is still being held every autumn and getting more and more popular. So
much more peaceful than the GMBR.

Surely there were more than that - anyone ?

The Geelong Otway Century Ride
Knox Hard Hundred (metric or imperial)
Bendigo Double Century (vested interest here, and there were only ever about
50 or so entrants)
For touring club members, the Combined Clubs Winter BBQ Ride to Churchill
National Park.
And don't forget Audax.

But I do think that today we have even more options in rides, even if they
are more commercially oriented.

Cheers
Peter

Old June 28th 04, 06:25 AM
HUMBUG

On Sun, 27 Jun 2004 22:09:27 +1000, Peter Signorini Wrote :
snip

There was a similar 'rowbike' about in the late 70s/early 80s, but it was
much superior. The pivot point was further forward on the steering crown so
steering was by hands and feet as you rowed. Both hands and feet provided
power, and there was a control to slide the chain connection point up/down
to give gear range via different leverage.

Yep that's what I was thinking of.

Someone else oughta remember 'em they were both on the ride over the
West Gate the day before it opened. Ray P., Peter Sig. perhaps ??

Indeed I was on that ride, but that was a fearfully long time ago. A gent

It was indeed. On that ride I saw two "mature" gents on fixies doing
amazing track stands without getting off the seat. They just sort of
coasted to a stop and stayed there with only VERY small movements.
*******s...:-)

snip

Perhaps it's only my memory but there used to be heaps of rides
with heaps of people on 'em. There was that ride around Packenham,

Vague memory of this but I can't name it.

I _think_ it was an autumn ride perhaps a precursor to the MAD
ride - IIRC the MAD ride started in the early '80's ? I was a member
of Action Unlimited at the time but I can't recall what AU had to
do with it, if anything.

the bike ride into spring

Spring Bike - conducted by the State Bike Commitee I think.

Did the SBC do bike week ? So long ago - memory almost gone...:-)

snip

And don't forget Audax.

Can't - I've got the first Woody 5000 hanging on the wall....:-)

I see that the MBTC now meets on Thursdays again - I'll have to pop
along for the first time in yonks and endure the jeers...:-) I was
an early member of Action Unlimited, which became the MBTC, until
other things captured my weekends. I rejoined for a few years in the
late '80's and early '90's and then went off to do other things again.
Maybe it's time to rejoin again....

But I do think that today we have even more options in rides, even if they
are more commercially oriented.

You're right of course - I hadn't considered things like the GMBR, etc.

Cheers
Peter

--

Humbug
Mark Forsyth
Old June 28th 04, 07:15 AM
hippy

Originally posted by Humbug
It was indeed. On that ride I saw two "mature" gents on
fixies doing amazing track stands without getting off the
seat. They just sort of coasted to a stop and stayed there
with only VERY small movements. *******s...:-)

I posted a question about this on cyclingforums - how to trackstand on a
freewheeled bike on a downhill slope? I didn't get a reply though

The way I currently last the longest is to remain seated. I don't know
why this works better but I think if I stand up and rock up and down the
hill, I overbalance too easily? I also need to use the brakes to stop me
rolling forward - more trickyness.. ?:S

hippy

Old June 28th 04, 08:15 AM
HUMBUG

On Mon, 28 Jun 2004 06:15:21 GMT, hippy Wrote :
Originally posted by Humbug
It was indeed. On that ride I saw two "mature" gents on
fixies doing amazing track stands without getting off the
seat. They just sort of coasted to a stop and stayed there
with only VERY small movements. *******s...:-)

I posted a question about this on cyclingforums - how to trackstand on a
freewheeled bike on a downhill slope? I didn't get a reply though

Trackstands - no problem. If ya can't do 'em and don't try they don't
cause problems. I already know enough ways of falling over without
adding "attempted trackstand" to the list...:-)

snip

--

Humbug

Rowbike? ain Mountain Biking 25 August 9th 04 05:48 PM
FREE Rowbike for Riding NBG Relay Leg National Bicycle Greenway General 0 March 18th 04 05:21 PM