I'd prefer to hook my spin trainer up to the grid ....

Old March 17th 05, 02:57 AM
Carl Brewer

Default I'd prefer to hook my spin trainer up to the grid ....

Nukes vs Coal, protests about wind turbines(!) ...

I want to hook my fluid II up to the grid and get back some of my
watts!

Old March 17th 05, 03:24 AM
GPLama

Carl Brewer wrote:

Nukes vs Coal, protests about wind turbines(!) ...

I want to hook my fluid II up to the grid and get back some of my
watts!

oo oo... I have a fluid^2 being shipped to me right now... How do you
find it? Any setup/running tips?

cheers,
GPL
Old March 17th 05, 03:39 AM
eddiec

Carl Brewer Wrote:
Nukes vs Coal, protests about wind turbines(!) ...

I want to hook my fluid II up to the grid and get back some of my
watts!

Dammit... now you've got me thinking...

hmm... one grid feed inverter, one dynamo, presumably some kind o
AC/DC convertor thingamyjig...

assume a price around 5c/kwH (residential rates are around 10c an
assume they'd buy it bake at 'screw-you' rates). we'll be optimisti
and assume that if we're 'training' we could churn out 15
watts/hour...

hmm... barely 1 cent an hour... gonna take a while to pay off tha
inverter! bugger..

--
eddiec

Old March 17th 05, 04:31 AM
Carl Brewer

On Thu, 17 Mar 2005 14:39:52 +1100, eddiec
wrote:

Carl Brewer Wrote:
Nukes vs Coal, protests about wind turbines(!) ...

I want to hook my fluid II up to the grid and get back some of my
watts!

Dammit... now you've got me thinking...

hmm... one grid feed inverter, one dynamo, presumably some kind of
AC/DC convertor thingamyjig...

assume a price around 5c/kwH (residential rates are around 10c and
assume they'd buy it bake at 'screw-you' rates). we'll be optimistic
and assume that if we're 'training' we could churn out 150
watts/hour...

150w/h is pretty conservative, at threshold a decent rider will put
out 300w, and that's just at the flywheel. Given the roughly 20%
efficiency of the metabolic process, for that ~300w at the flywheel,
you can also get at the remaining 80% (~1200w) that's given off
as heat with some form of heat exchanger. So, if it's winter,
you're not only contributing enough wattage to run the PC that
you're hooking the HRM up to, but you're heating the house,
saving the need to burn precious fossil fuels. Or, you could
rig up a heat exchanger and use it to generate power, probably from
bits found in Hip's shed and the dumpster across the road from
Dutchy's office.

A win, I think. Of course, to maximise efficiency, it would have to
be a SS, as we all know that the weight savings and frictional
losses in jockeywheels and cassettes are of such a significant
magnitude as to completely overwhelm the issue of cadence and
efficiency. YMMV ...

Old March 17th 05, 04:43 AM
stu

"eddiec" wrote in message

Carl Brewer Wrote:
Nukes vs Coal, protests about wind turbines(!) ...

I want to hook my fluid II up to the grid and get back some of my
watts!

Dammit... now you've got me thinking...

hmm... one grid feed inverter, one dynamo, presumably some kind of
AC/DC convertor thingamyjig...

assume a price around 5c/kwH (residential rates are around 10c and
assume they'd buy it bake at 'screw-you' rates). we'll be optimistic
and assume that if we're 'training' we could churn out 150
watts/hour...

hmm... barely 1 cent an hour... gonna take a while to pay off that
inverter! bugger...

--
eddiec

yeap its as easy as that. (and i think they all do net metering, some even
used to pay up to 4 times more for "green" power, not sure if this still
goes on)
now if i could find 100 spare hours in the day for pedaling, i would beak
even(not including the gas for water and heater). still finding 100 hours in
the day seems easy compered to getting a reactor built

Old March 17th 05, 04:52 AM
hippy

Carl Brewer wrote:
150w/h is pretty conservative, at threshold a decent rider will put
out 300w, and that's just at the flywheel. Given the roughly 20%
efficiency of the metabolic process, for that ~300w at the flywheel,
you can also get at the remaining 80% (~1200w) that's given off
as heat with some form of heat exchanger. So, if it's winter,
you're not only contributing enough wattage to run the PC that
you're hooking the HRM up to, but you're heating the house,
saving the need to burn precious fossil fuels. Or, you could
rig up a heat exchanger and use it to generate power, probably from
bits found in Hip's shed and the dumpster across the road from
Dutchy's office.

If you are on a trainer, inside, during winter.. you wont NEED heating!
Yay for $aving million$ in fuel cost$!

hippy
Old March 17th 05, 05:52 AM
TimC

On Thu, 17 Mar 2005 at 02:57 GMT, Carl Brewer (aka Bruce)

Nukes vs Coal, protests about wind turbines(!) ...

I want to hook my fluid II up to the grid and get back some of my
watts!

I wish bikes had regenerative braking. Then those stupid traffic
lights at the bottom of valleys would be no problem. Just spin your
flywheel up to 200000 RPM (and make sure you don't turn any corners!),
stop, wait, then spin it back down. Easy!

Oooh, Look! Shiny New Thing! -- me
Old March 17th 05, 08:51 AM
bjay

I wish bikes had regenerative braking. Then those stupid traffic
lights at the bottom of valleys would be no problem. Just spin your
flywheel up to 200000 RPM (and make sure you don't turn any corners!),
stop, wait, then spin it back down. Easy!

I was just this morning dreaming up a lighting system with a wind generator
built in to regenerate the batteries. It made sense to me, because the
forward motion of the bike will always produce air movement to spin the
turbine. Brilliant, a foolproof plan! If only I was an engineer!

Bjay

Old March 17th 05, 09:00 AM
Marty

eddiec wrote:
Carl Brewer Wrote:

Nukes vs Coal, protests about wind turbines(!) ...

I want to hook my fluid II up to the grid and get back some of my
watts!

Dammit... now you've got me thinking...

hmm... one grid feed inverter, one dynamo, presumably some kind of
AC/DC convertor thingamyjig...

assume a price around 5c/kwH (residential rates are around 10c and
assume they'd buy it bake at 'screw-you' rates). we'll be optimistic
and assume that if we're 'training' we could churn out 150
watts/hour...

hmm... barely 1 cent an hour... gonna take a while to pay off that
inverter! bugger...

Just be careful how you connect that thing up. Make sure it doesn't
become an electric motor and take off down the road with you on it!

Marty
Old March 17th 05, 01:29 PM
Davidm

"bjay" wrote in message

I wish bikes had regenerative braking. Then those stupid traffic
lights at the bottom of valleys would be no problem. Just spin your
flywheel up to 200000 RPM (and make sure you don't turn any corners!),
stop, wait, then spin it back down. Easy!

I was just this morning dreaming up a lighting system with a wind
generator built in to regenerate the batteries. It made sense to me,
because the forward motion of the bike will always produce air movement to
spin the turbine. Brilliant, a foolproof plan! If only I was an engineer!

or do away with the middleman and just use a standard "bottle" type dynamo,
or a snazzy hub dynamo...

Cheers
David M