How come bicycle clothing looks so silly?

Old January 20th 09, 11:10 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.racing,rec.bicycles.soc
Tom Sherman[_2_]

Default How come bicycle clothing looks so silly?

Edward Dolan wrote:
On 2009-01-14, Tom Sherman wrote:

PatTX wrote:
::
:: In that case teachers would have been able to buy more than two
bikes
:: a day. Most teachers only work about 200 days a year, the rest is
:: just weekends and long holidays.

You just cannot be so stupid as to believe what you just posted.
Really? When I went to US K-12, it was 180 days/year, 8:30-15:30.
When you went to school US K-12 was it as a student or as a teacher?
Teachers do not work only the hours students are in attendence. I don't
know any teachers who don't take work home with them to be completed on
their own (uncompensated) time or who do not purchase materials for their
classes from their own (uncompensated) pockets. Those long summers are
often spent in curriculum development, continuing education, and/or
teaching summer school.

Most of the teachers in my school also drove school buses or had other
outside work, so they can not have been that busy. Nothing like the 50
weeks of 50+ hours expected of most salaried employees.

Maybe Mr. Sherman missed his true calling. He would have been an excellent
high school teacher of physics. Of course, this would have meant a huge
decline in his income (he is a civil engineer), but what does that matter
when you are considering the welfare of nations. But let's face it, who
wants to put up with crappie teenagers. Teachers need a summer respite from
teenagers or else they would go crazy.

One of my cow-orker's wife is a unionized teacher who is younger than I
am and she makes more money than I do. Of course, some teachers at rural
districts in the state make about half of what I do. Of course the
unionized jobs are much harder to get, unless one knows the right people.

I would never want to teach, except at the level where students are not
made to attend. Having to pay to attend (and adulthood) does wonders for
eliminating behavioral problems in class.

College in the US is typically two 16-week semesters.
Never heard of "publish or perish" in academia?

Yes, and in those institutions, professors typically teach 2 classes a
semester, so only about 10 hours a week needs to be devoted to
instruction.

Professors are the most underworked class in American society today.
Whenever I encounter a professor, all I ever want to do is kick his dumb
ass. If the god damn dumb liberal media were not in cahoots with
academicians, they would write more articles about the scandal of higher
education in this country - where graduate students do all the hard work of
class room instruction and the g.d. professors get a free ride. I say ****
'em all!

A lot of colleges now hire "instructors" that have PhD's to non-tenure
track positions at low pay ($25-40K/year) - the wonders of having a
liberal arts degree.

--
Tom Sherman - 42.435731,-83.985007
LOCAL CACTUS EATS CYCLIST - datakoll
Old January 21st 09, 02:59 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.racing,rec.bicycles.soc
Edward Dolan

On 2009-01-14, Tom Sherman wrote:

PatTX wrote:
::
[...]

Public school teachers do not need to have unions since they work at the
pleasure of the public (school boards). Half the public school teachers in
the country need to be fired for simply being bad teachers.

I would never want to teach, except at the level where students are not
made to attend. Having to pay to attend (and adulthood) does wonders for
eliminating behavioral problems in class.

I believe most science courses at the high school level are considered to be
electives and not required of anyone to take against their will. But no
matter, I could never be a teacher because I simply can't stand young
people. You only get socialized in this country by the age of 30 or so.
Hardly anyone in this country ever gets civilized regardless of their age.

[...]

It is tenure for the professoriate that ruins higher education. If someone
can't be fired, they can't be controlled. Institutions with tenure have weak
administrations which are feckless and hopeless. When I was attending
college I made damn sure by my sophomore year that I was only taking classes
from full professors, not an easy thing to do at a large state university.

In any event, teachers are overpaid and it is why all education has become
so expensive. I doubt I would ever consider going on to higher education at
the cost that prevails today. It is actually a scandal how expensive higher
education has become. It is clearly not worth it! Anyone from a modest
background is better off becoming a plumber or an electrician and pocketing
the tens of thousands of dollars that he would otherwise spend at some
worthless institution of higher education.

Regards,

Ed Dolan the Great - Minnesota
aka