giant crx4 v's apollo allegro

Old January 21st 09, 01:28 AM posted to aus.bicycle,rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc

Default giant crx4 v's apollo allegro

Hi guys and girls,

I am looking at some honest advice and feedback for Giant CRX 4 and
Apollo Allegro bikes. I have compared the two and they seem very
similar in their componentary but I have been told CRX 4’s are better
built with a far superior “ride” and gearing system. I am hoping you
woul give me some advice that might separate the truth from the sales
pitch.

Thank you in advance for your advice and comments.

Pago
Old January 21st 09, 03:50 AM posted to aus.bicycle,rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc
landotter

On Jan 20, 6:28*pm, wrote:
Hi guys and girls,

I am looking at some honest advice and feedback for Giant CRX 4 and
Apollo Allegro bikes. *I have compared the two and they seem very
similar in their componentary but I have been told CRX 4’s are better
built with a far superior “ride” and gearing system. *I am hoping you
woul give me some advice that might separate the truth from the sales
pitch.

Thank you in advance for your advice and comments.

Comfort has to do with tire width/construction, saddle fit, handlebar
fit, and if the bike generally fits you. Both bikes are Asian made
aluminum bikes--maybe even in the same factory as the bike companies
contract out. You can swap out the contact points and it will make far
more difference customizing that than worrying about whether one low
end (but perfectly decent) Shimano derailleur is better than another.
Which color do ya like better? ;-)

Old January 21st 09, 07:58 AM posted to aus.bicycle,rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc

On Jan 21, 11:50*am, landotter wrote:
On Jan 20, 6:28*pm, wrote:

[...]

which bike is better? giant or apollo? i like blue.
Old January 21st 09, 10:51 AM posted to aus.bicycle,rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc
Tomasso[_2_]

"landotter" wrote in message ...
On Jan 20, 6:28 pm, wrote:
Hi guys and girls,

I am looking at some honest advice and feedback for Giant CRX 4 and
Apollo Allegro bikes. I have compared the two and they seem very
similar in their componentary but I have been told CRX 4~Rs are better
built with a far superior ~Sride~T and gearing system. I am hoping you
woul give me some advice that might separate the truth from the sales
pitch.

Thank you in advance for your advice and comments.

Comfort has to do with tire width/construction, saddle fit, handlebar
fit, and if the bike generally fits you. Both bikes are Asian made
aluminum bikes--maybe even in the same factory as the bike companies
contract out. You can swap out the contact points and it will make far
more difference customizing that than worrying about whether one low
end (but perfectly decent) Shimano derailleur is better than another.
Which color do ya like better? ;-)

Well, sort of.

Frame geometry can make a difference. I once had a frame wade that was 75 degrees (track frame geometry on a road bike) - zippy, but not good for commuting

Frame material, too. I have a steel frame (Reynolds 853) which is much more comfortable than any aluminium bike I've ridden. Also an older Tange Cromo frame which is pleasant.

Also, carbon forks make a BIG improvement. Everyone seems to offer them now.

My favourite seat was a Terry (first person to put hole in seats), the male version. I had one Selle Italia which gave me a numb dick (my unfavoured seat), and another (titanium one) which had so little side that is was almost 2 dimensional (and unpleasant).

Colour: Blue or white or yellow. But I do have a red mtn bk.

Tomasso.

Old January 21st 09, 06:18 PM posted to aus.bicycle,rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc
landotter

On Jan 21, 3:51 am, "Tomasso" wrote:
"landotter" wrote in ...
On Jan 20, 6:28 pm, wrote:
[...]

The OPs choices are pretty normal in your average sizes. The Apollo is
a degree slacker in the head angle, but seeing as we don't know what
the trail is--we can only speculate what difference that makes. The
Giant has steeper seat tube angles on the smaller wee models compared
to the Apollo which sticks to the same for all sizes. Ultimately, the
differences are pretty tiny. A degree or half on either side of the
fairly normal 72-3.

So with that in mind, it's just a matter of riding them to see if the
included kit feels right. The Giant's slightly more expensive--but if
the OP enjoys the cockpit choices more than the Apollo, then it might
be the best value. Conversely, the less expensive Apollo might be just
the ticket.

Old February 3rd 09, 02:02 AM posted to aus.bicycle,rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc

On Jan 20, 7:28*pm, wrote:
Hi guys and girls,

I am looking at some honest advice and feedback for Giant CRX 4 and
Apollo Allegro bikes. *I have compared the two and they seem very
similar in their componentary but I have been told CRX 4’s are better
built with a far superior “ride” and gearing system. *I am hoping you
woul give me some advice that might separate the truth from the sales
pitch.

Thank you in advance for your advice and comments.

Pago

Hi Pago,

I just bought a Giant CRX 4 09. Brand spanking new. BLACK. My first
tim espending this sort of money on a bike, so I am no conossieur like
some of the others. I tried the GIANT 2 and the Apollo Allegro before
making my choice and took them for a test ride at the same shop. The
CRX 4 was the most comfortable and fast of the lot to my liking. I
know the shop owner and therefore he had no interest in selling me
something. He recommended these 3 as best options for me starting out
and my decision was the CRX 4. I got an XL as well, because I am a
tall person (1.86m, 94kgs) - rides like a dream.

Hope this helps.

Apollo CX 10S. What do you think? salmon[_2_] UK 12 February 18th 08 01:42 PM
apollo 13 type question Callistus Valerius Techniques 7 May 6th 07 01:01 AM
FIR Apollo rims -- asking for opinion geos Techniques 4 March 29th 06 03:36 AM
Halfords Apollo bikes Tosh UK 81 May 1st 04 10:02 PM
Avanti Blade vs. Apollo Allegro dave911 Australia 8 April 13th 04 01:00 PM