The Effects of Mountain Biking on Wildlife and People -- WhyOff-Road Bicycling Should be Prohibited

Old July 29th 03, 01:31 AM
Pablo Ricardo

Default The Effects of Mountain Biking on Wildlife and People -- WhyOff-Road Bicycling Should be Prohibited

On 7/13/2003 6:18 PM, jazu wrote:

"Mike Vandeman" wrote in message

The Effects of Mountain Biking on Wildlife and People --
Why Off-Road Bicycling Should be Prohibited
Michael J. Vandeman, Ph.D.
May 31, 1997

Best solution for all of these kind of problems.
Let's go back to the caves.

Do you really believe that a Ph.D would end all his rebuttals with "DUH!" ?

Nope, me either. An 8-year-old troll, perhaps...

Let's just put this self-righteous asshole in our killfiles and move on
to bigger and better things -- time to get the signal-to-noise ratio in
this noisegroup back up to decent levels.

Pablo

Old July 31st 03, 02:56 PM
Mike Vandeman

On Mon, 28 Jul 2003 16:31:50 -0800, Pablo Ricardo
wrote:

..
..
..On 7/13/2003 6:18 PM, jazu wrote:
..
.. "Mike Vandeman" wrote in message
.. ...
..
.. The Effects of Mountain Biking on Wildlife and People --
.. Why Off-Road Bicycling Should be Prohibited
.. Michael J. Vandeman, Ph.D.
.. May 31, 1997
..
..
.. Best solution for all of these kind of problems.
.. Let's go back to the caves.
..
..
..
..Do you really believe that a Ph.D would end all his rebuttals with "DUH!" ?
..
..Nope, me either. An 8-year-old troll, perhaps...
..
..Let's just put this self-righteous asshole in our killfiles and move on
..to bigger and better things -- time to get the signal-to-noise ratio in
..this noisegroup back up to decent levels.

Impossible, since you are starting below zero. Mountain bikers are afraid to
tell the truth, because then their peers will gang-bang them.

..Pablo

===

http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande
Old August 10th 03, 01:24 PM
Stephen Baker

Doug Haxton says:

By the way...every time you say "Duh", it makes you look even more
moronic.

And every time somoeone replies to that, it makes him feel even more
intelligent and effective.

Just a helpful hint.......
Old August 15th 03, 11:53 PM
DaveWV

Jim Roberts wrote:
Oh we are back to Tanks in the Backcountry.
jimbat
Doug Haxton wrote:
On Sun, 10 Aug 2003 04:52:43 GMT, Mike Vandeman
wrote:

.1) If the quote accurate ("They aren't human, so they don't have
.rights. QED") then you're contradicting yourself. Is it accurate?

Yes. I was talking about BICYCLES. Can't you think at all?????

I was simply asking a polite question. Can't you respond in kind at
all?????

.2) Why does wildlife have a "right" to kill each other? What's the
.enforcement mechanism for this right?

They are able to do it. DUH!

Humans are able to kill wild animals as well. By your own logic we
have therefore have the right to kill them.

By the way...every time you say "Duh", it makes you look even more
moronic.

Just a helpful hint.

Doug

Let's say all of the land presently used for outdoor recreation is
closed to all use. What will happen to that land? Well, if no one can
use it and enjoy the "natural" place that it is, people will forget why
we need to save these areas and end up not caring about saving other
wild places.

I believe outdoor recreation is a mojor contributor to the saving of
many areas from development. Hunters, hikers, mountain bikers, climbers,
rafters, on and on. Ducks Unlimited has saved more acres than any so
called environmental group ever has. Why, because they use and enjoy the
land. ( from "Comming out of the Woods" by Wallace Kaufman)

I'll admit I didn't read all of this guy's long winded posts but of the
ones I did read I didn't see any mention of where he got his
"scientific" evidence from.

Just my $.02 worth.----------Dave

--
Come ride in West Virginia!

Old August 21st 03, 08:13 PM
ireman_1

Wow. I wish I could be some hypocritical environazi. Makes sense that we
have vast tracts of land no one is allowed to use. You, by the way,
wouldn't be interested in growing "hemp" now would you guys? I hear
there's plenty of nasty gases in the smoke you puff out regularly, or is
that a lie? Go set another forest service building on fire, avoid
another shower, get some more federal money for your foodstamps, move
(back) in with your parents and get offended when someone doesn't
appreciate your intolerance and then cry fowl yourself. How do the
emperor's new clothes look to you? Don't bother trying to impress us by
saying you have advanced degrees in blah, blah, blah. A lot of us went
to grad school and understand where you are really coming from. See you
on the trail. Oh yeah, get a tune up on your Volvo wagon, it seems to be
smoking more than it was designed to.

K.

--
Don't give up, don't ever give up.

Old November 3rd 03, 12:16 AM
Johnsben01

To Mike Vandeman,

I don't claim to be the smartest guy around. Nor do I claim to have
all the answers. However, what I do know is that every person has an
opinion. Some people are very open about their opinions and some are
not. I have enjoyed mountain biking; since I was knee high to a
grasshopper. There is nothing you can ever say or do that will keep me
from mountain biking. Like many Americans, I enjoy the freedoms that
our men and women have died for. You sir, have a freedom and a right
to voice your opinion. And I, a freedom and a right to mountain bike.
"...Life, Liberty and the Pursuit of Happiness...", isn't that true?
What is upsetting to me is that you find your happiness in trying to
prevent people from pursueing that which makes them happy and that you
are concsious of that fact. You're lack of logic in your explanations
and opinions shows your foolishness. It is better to remain silent,
and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt.
You sir have removed all doubt.

-Benji Johnson

Old November 3rd 03, 12:50 AM
Sorni

"Johnsben01" wrote in message
To Mike Vandeman,

prevent people from pursueing that which
-- ^^^^^^^^^

Now there's a shock.

Bill "yet to see a coherent thought expressed via that entity" S.

Old November 3rd 03, 02:02 AM
Nick D.

"Johnsben01" wrote in message
To Mike Vandeman,

I don't claim to be the smartest guy around. Nor do I claim to have
all the answers. However, what I do know is that every person has an
opinion. Some people are very open about their opinions and some are
not. I have enjoyed mountain biking; since I was knee high to a
grasshopper. There is nothing you can ever say or do that will keep me
from mountain biking. Like many Americans, I enjoy the freedoms that
our men and women have died for. You sir, have a freedom and a right
to voice your opinion. And I, a freedom and a right to mountain bike.
"...Life, Liberty and the Pursuit of Happiness...", isn't that true?

What is upsetting to me is that you find your happiness in trying to
prevent people from pursueing that which makes them happy and that you
are concsious of that fact.

First, let me state that I am an avid mountain biker and in no way condone
Mikey's views or actions...But, are you sure you're only upset about him
"trying to prevent people from pursueing that which makes them happy"? I
have a feeling you're really upset about him picking on mountain biking.
After all, if murdering little kids made some people happy, and he was
trying to prevent them from pursueing that, would you be upset?

Old November 8th 03, 05:31 AM
Mike Vandeman

On 3 Nov 2003 10:06:38 +1050, Johnsben01 wrote:

..To Mike Vandeman,
..
.. I don't claim to be the smartest guy around. Nor do I claim to have
.. all the answers. However, what I do know is that every person has an
.. opinion. Some people are very open about their opinions and some are
.. not. I have enjoyed mountain biking; since I was knee high to a
.. grasshopper. There is nothing you can ever say or do that will keep me
.. from mountain biking. Like many Americans, I enjoy the freedoms that
.. our men and women have died for. You sir, have a freedom and a right
.. to voice your opinion. And I, a freedom and a right to mountain bike.

BS. That was settled in federal court: there IS no right to mountain bike:
http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande/mtb10.htm

.. "...Life, Liberty and the Pursuit of Happiness...", isn't that true?
.. What is upsetting to me is that you find your happiness in trying to
.. prevent people from pursueing that which makes them happy

You get your thrills at the expense of wildlife and other people, which is a
crime.