My new baby??

Old December 16th 04, 06:10 PM
Preston Crawford

Default My new baby??

http://www.bianchiusa.com/607.html

I need a winterized bike badly. My current bike is being brutalized (I
live in Portand, Oregon so lots of rain and silt) and it's almost
impossible to keep this clean. And the bike I have (Trek 1000) isn't
exactly fender-friendly. I tried earlier to see if LBS would have
something that would work (hybrid geometry, road handlebars, etc.) but hit
kind of a brick wall. This other shop my wife goes to (her Triathlon
store) came up with this bike. I'm very excited about it. Fenders out of
the box. The light may go, depending on whether it's a hindrance and a
gimmick. Tiagra over Sora is nice. It's more upright. And the store will
do a free fitting + swap out any parts I need swapped out (like for sure
I'll need wider handlebars) for free, charging me only what the difference
in cost to them is. I'm very excited. They ordered it for me yesterday and
got Bianchi to ship one out yesterday. So it should be here either Monday
or Friday. Praying for Friday. It's been dry here, but I'm sick of putting
my poor beloved Trek 1000 through this weather.

Plus I like that it's a single in the front. More of a challenge, easier
to clean, without going to the other extreme of a single-speed.

Preston
Old December 16th 04, 06:12 PM
Preston Crawford

Oh, and the question marks were because obviously I have to ride the
thing. So it's not a lock yet. But I'm pretty sure I'll like it. I'm
excited to get on it and give it a go.

Preston
Old December 16th 04, 06:19 PM
B i l l S o r n s o n

Preston Crawford wrote:
Oh, and the question marks were because obviously I have to ride the
thing. So it's not a lock yet. But I'm pretty sure I'll like it. I'm
excited to get on it and give it a go.

Too bad about the color ;-)

Old December 16th 04, 06:21 PM
Preston Crawford

On 2004-12-16, B i l l S o r n s o n wrote:
Preston Crawford wrote:
Oh, and the question marks were because obviously I have to ride the
thing. So it's not a lock yet. But I'm pretty sure I'll like it. I'm
excited to get on it and give it a go.

Too bad about the color ;-)

That's a good one. I didn't buy my current Trek just because it was
Orange. It didn't hurt, though. Oh well, I can always get orange cages for
this bike. :-)

Preston
Old December 16th 04, 07:28 PM
maxo

On Thu, 16 Dec 2004 12:10:35 -0600, Preston Crawford wrote:

Fenders out of
the box.

All you need is a spray flap up front and you'll be set. Trust me. You can
get a sexy rubber one if you're not a milk jug fan. :P

The light may go,
depending on whether it's a hindrance and a
gimmick

Hub based dynamo systems ain't no gimmick, they're a low resistance and
maintenance free way to make candlepower. Been around for at least half a
century. Cool stuff. Add a tiny yellow front blinky if it doesn't have a
standing light for stops

Very nice niche bike. I like the omission of the front derailleur. Of
course I would have gone for a Milano myself, switching out the seat,
bars, and pedals ... The internal gearing is very good in mucky
conditions, though it weighs a bit--a matter of priorities I guess. I'm
surprised it hasn't dominated the commuter market. Simple and sexy.
Old December 16th 04, 07:32 PM
maxo

On Thu, 16 Dec 2004 18:19:53 +0000, B i l l S o r n s o n wrote:

Too bad about the color

Complaining about a green Bianchi is truly absurd.

I find it gorgeous.

Old December 16th 04, 07:36 PM
Preston Crawford

On 2004-12-16, maxo wrote:
On Thu, 16 Dec 2004 12:10:35 -0600, Preston Crawford wrote:

Fenders out of
the box.

All you need is a spray flap up front and you'll be set. Trust me. You can
get a sexy rubber one if you're not a milk jug fan. :P

I've went that way for a while. Problem is it does nothing for the back.
And the real problem isn't a question of ME getting wet, but rather of
trying to trap as much mud as possible on fenders as opposed to in the
components.

The light may go,
depending on whether it's a hindrance and a
gimmick

Hub based dynamo systems ain't no gimmick, they're a low resistance and
maintenance free way to make candlepower. Been around for at least half a
century. Cool stuff. Add a tiny yellow front blinky if it doesn't have a
standing light for stops

I have a good blinky that I keep on the front for emergencies (i.e. my
battery-powered light runs out of juice). But that's good to know those
lights work.

Very nice niche bike. I like the omission of the front derailleur. Of
course I would have gone for a Milano myself, switching out the seat,
bars, and pedals ... The internal gearing is very good in mucky
conditions, though it weighs a bit--a matter of priorities I guess. I'm
surprised it hasn't dominated the commuter market. Simple and sexy.

Oh yeah, that's the other thing. Comes with clipless out of the box too.
So many things that you don't have to worry about. I like it. Very niche
for sure, but that's my niche. I would imagine I'm not alone, though. The
Milano is interesting. I don't know how it would do on some of the hills I
have to climb, though.

Preston
Old December 16th 04, 07:38 PM
Preston Crawford

On 2004-12-16, maxo wrote:
On Thu, 16 Dec 2004 18:19:53 +0000, B i l l S o r n s o n wrote:

Too bad about the color

Complaining about a green Bianchi is truly absurd.

I find it gorgeous.

I think he's joking with me because I have a love-affair with Orange and
have a very beautiful orange bike that I fell head over heals for a couple
years ago. Good memory if so. I like the color too, but I'm looking
desparately for orange cages. Where to find them...???

Preston
Old December 16th 04, 07:47 PM
maxo

On Thu, 16 Dec 2004 13:36:38 -0600, Preston Crawford wrote:

The
Milano is interesting. I don't know how it would do on some of the hills I
have to climb, though.

I rode a similar bike in the city for many years with narrow flat MTB bars
so I could split lanes--its gearing was just fine, though the internal
hubs do have a bit of resistance--felt like riding a hardtail MTB, but
looked all friendly. :P

If you're used to a road bike then I think you made the right choice. Even
if you manage to smash the derailleur--the parts are common and fairly
inexpensive.

You're right about fenders saving wear and tear on components, I've been
on several rain rides with my single speed with fenders this week, and the
chain is still silent. Fenders are a magic thing. Ride them in dry and
people giggle at you. In the wet the road strip'ed racer boys gaze upon
them with admiration. LOL

Old December 16th 04, 07:51 PM
maxo

On 2004-12-16, maxo wrote:
On Thu, 16 Dec 2004 18:19:53 +0000, B i l l S o r n s o n wrote:

Too bad about the color

Complaining about a green Bianchi is truly absurd.

I find it gorgeous.

I think he's joking with me because I have a love-affair with Orange and
have a very beautiful orange bike that I fell head over heals for a couple
years ago. Good memory if so. I like the color too, but I'm looking
desparately for orange cages. Where to find them...???

Preston

Steel cages and your local powdercoater...

:P

It's got to be a warm 70s appliance orange to go with that green though...