Access Development Officer (Cycling) - Hampshire County Council

Old May 24th 05, 05:46 PM
HCC

Default Access Development Officer (Cycling) - Hampshire County Council

Job advert some might be interested in!

http://myjobs.hants.gov.uk/vacancy/jobdetail.aspx?ID=EWORK01$IT2000$00082317

http://tinyurl.com/87cq3

* Location: Winchester
* Advertisement No: 7009
* Salary: £24,708 - £26,157 (temporary for 3 years)
* Hours: 37 hours per week
* Grade: Not Applicable

As part of our small but dynamic team, you will plan, develop and
promote access for cycling in Hampshire.

Working in partnership with other organisations and individuals, you
will be responsible for implementing the Recreational Cycling Strategy
and contributing to the development of the Countryside Access Plan for
Hampshire. This will involve developing a strong relationship with Local
Transport Planning colleagues, putting forward new and innovative
projects that fulfil strategic objectives and the management of
feasibility studies across the county.

Educated to degree level or equivalent, you will have experience of
liaising and negotiating with a wide range of partners and up to two
years' experience of project planning and management. Motivated and
committed, you will have the ability to work on your own initiative
along with first class communication and presentation skills.

This post is temporary for 3 years.
Old May 24th 05, 07:59 PM
wafflycat

"HCC" wrote in message

Educated to degree level or equivalent, you will have experience of
liaising and negotiating with a wide range of partners and up to two
years' experience of project planning and management. Motivated and
committed, you will have the ability to work on your own initiative along
with first class communication and presentation skills.

This post is temporary for 3 years.

Hmm... seems it is not a requirement of the post to do with cycling that you
need to be a cyclist... Shame really. The most obvious & important skill is
not required. Que sera.

Cheers, helen s

Old May 24th 05, 08:35 PM
Tony Raven

wafflycat wrote:

Hmm... seems it is not a requirement of the post to do with cycling that
you need to be a cyclist... Shame really. The most obvious & important
skill is not required. Que sera.

It would be an advantage but as I read it this is primarily off-road
leisure cycling access and not road cycling facilities.

--
Tony

"A facility for quotation covers the absence of original thought" Lord
Peter Wimsey (Dorothy L. Sayers)
Old May 24th 05, 08:51 PM
Tilly

On Tue, 24 May 2005 20:35:22 +0100, Tony Raven
wrote:

It would be an advantage but as I read it this is primarily off-road
leisure cycling access and not road cycling facilities.

*As part of our small but dynamic team, you will plan, develop and
promote access for cycling in Hampshire.*

It's funny how we read different meaning into these things.

I read *develop and promote access for cycling* to mean develop and
promote cycling among those groups under represented as cyclists.
Old May 24th 05, 09:07 PM
Tony Raven

wrote:

It would be an advantage but as I read it this is primarily off-road
leisure cycling access and not road cycling facilities.

*As part of our small but dynamic team, you will plan, develop and
promote access for cycling in Hampshire.*

It's funny how we read different meaning into these things.

I read *develop and promote access for cycling* to mean develop and
promote cycling among those groups under represented as cyclists.

You need to read the fuller job description on the web site where its
all about Countryside Access Plans and Rights of Way Improvement Plans.

Old May 24th 05, 10:13 PM
John Burns

Hmm... seems it is not a requirement of the post to do with cycling that you
need to be a cyclist... Shame really. The most obvious & important skill is
not required. Que sera.

Quite. You can easily see that the person who designed the cycle paths
for NCN7 in Strathspey hadn't been on a bike for a number of years
either :-(

Email: , John G.Burns B.Eng, Bonny Scotland
Web :
http://www.unixnerd.demon.co.uk - The Ultimate BMW Homepage!
Old May 24th 05, 10:27 PM
citizen142

As a Welshman I am (reluctantly) prepared to accept that English is
the most beautiful language in the world!

Who writes this jargonistic ****. Why do Councils when they advertise
positions have to mutilate and debase the language? I envisage some
'jobs worth' with a fully paid up membership of the talking ********
society trying to embellish, obfuscate and mystify something that is
in essence very simple. We have a job, are you interested, are you
qualified, if so apply. Then again it strikes me that plumbers,
carpenters, plasterers, car mechanics et al have skills that if they
can't prove and justify on a daily basis will soon find themselves out
of work. It just seems to me that the only way these overpaid nobodys
can justify their council tax paid jobs is to try and appear as clever
as possible.

Sorry - rant over - they just drive me mad.

Old May 24th 05, 11:17 PM
Helen Deborah Vecht

"citizen142" typed

[...]

Send your rant, and a specimen of the gobbledigook to the Plain English
Society. You could win HCC a prize...

--
Helen D. Vecht:
Edgware.
Old May 25th 05, 08:50 AM
David Martin

Time to run this through Gobble2Real..

Working in partnership with other organisations and individuals,

This job involves herding cats. You will have to try and persuade a
bunch of people with different agendas to do things for you and when
they don't you get the blame
you will be responsible for implementing the Recreational Cycling Strategy

We'll blame you for not being able to get this done
and contributing to the development of the Countryside Access Plan for

Hampshire.
the cyclists of Hampshire will also blame you for not getting
anything done
This will involve developing a strong relationship with Local

Transport Planning colleagues,
Local Transport colleagues will block anything you try to do.
putting forward new and innovative projects that fulfil strategic objectives and the management of

feasibility studies across the county.
You don't have to be able to do anything concrete, just prepare loads
of strategy ideas and then work with your other colleagues to find out
why they will never happen.

Educated to degree level or equivalent, you will have experience of

liaising and negotiating with a wide range of partners and up to two
years' experience of project planning and management.
we want someone who is intelligent enough to not need much
supervision but not experienced enough to realise they are being
politically hamstrung.

Motivated and committed, you will have the ability to work on your own initiative

along with first class communication and presentation skills.
Don't expect any management support, and you'd better be able to come
up with dammned good explainations on demand.

This post is temporary for 3 years

We don't want to risk gettign anyone productive in the post long
term.

Anyone still interested?

...d

Old May 25th 05, 08:58 AM
Robert Bruce

Roedd wafflycat wedi ysgrifennu:

Hmm... seems it is not a requirement of the post to do with cycling
that you need to be a cyclist... Shame really. The most obvious &
important skill is not required. Que sera.

Specifying 'cyclist' might lead to accusations of dissuading disabled people
from applying. /We/ know that plenty of disabled people cycle, but it's
general perceptions that count.

--
Rob

http://www.asta51.dsl.pipex.com/webcam/