CO2 Systems for tire inflation

Old October 18th 04, 06:48 PM
Weisse Luft

If you get the combination inflator/pump, you can use any size
cartridge and if you opt to use cheap 12g non-threaded, you can pum
20-30 PSI into the tire before hitting the CO2 for high pressur
top-off. Its a little slower than exclusively using CO2 but its fa
easier than 100% pumping

--
Weisse Luft

Old October 18th 04, 07:54 PM
Jay Beattie

"Werehatrack" wrote in message
On Sun, 17 Oct 2004 04:05:20 GMT, Blair P. Houghton

wrote:

Werehatrack wrote:
Oops, you're right, CO2 is a larger molecule. If that was

the only
criterion tha counted, then Xenon would be a better choice

still, with
a molecular diameter that's significantly larger than any of

those
mentioned.

I say we fill our tires with cholesterol.

Why stop there? Use a massively cross-linked polymer;

potentially,the
entire space could be enclosing just one very large molecule.

It
would ride a bit rough, though.

It's been done. What were those plastic hose inserts called?

I was riding around in the rain with some raceurs this weekend,
and one flatted. He used a CO2 filler but had to top it off with
my Zefal HPX. I still think a full sized frame pump is the best,
but then again, it weighs more than a few grams and is probably
unacceptably big and heavy for most modern cyclists. -- Jay
Beattie.

Old October 19th 04, 04:29 AM
B.B.

In article ,
Werehatrack wrote:

[...]

I wonder what you could charge for tires based on this:

http://www.nanotech-now.com/ucb-release-08262002.htm

You'd have to make the hairs a lot more durable before it would be a
marketable product, but hey, who knows, with enough of them on a fat
tire you could ride up a wall, right?

Ooh, you could make a "velcro" helmet--no more itchy chin strap!

B.B. --I am not a goat! thegoat4 at airmail.net
Old October 19th 04, 12:15 PM
Dave Kahn

Larry Coon wrote in message ...

One of my bikes has Continental Sprinter sew-ups, and the
front one has a slow leak. Starting from the same PSI, the
tire goes flat in about two days with pumped-in room air,
and about three days with CO2.

Gas escaping through a slow leak is not the same as gas diffusing
through the material itself. In the case of a leak you might expect
the molecule size to be the major factor determining the rate of flow.
This probably explains why the CO2 lasts longer in this case. It does
seem an expensive way to keep refilling a tyre that you know is
leaking.

--
Dave...

Old October 21st 04, 12:13 AM
Larry Coon

Dave Kahn wrote:

Gas escaping through a slow leak is not the same as gas diffusing
through the material itself. In the case of a leak you might expect
the molecule size to be the major factor determining the rate of flow.
This probably explains why the CO2 lasts longer in this case.

I'm not up on the physics of gas diffusion, so I'll
take your word for it.

It does
seem an expensive way to keep refilling a tyre that you know is
leaking.

I just sacrificed one cartridge for the sake of testing...

Larry Coon
University of California