Disk Brakes Again

Old May 28th 19, 03:26 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

Default Disk Brakes Again

On Monday, May 27, 2019 at 3:46:16 PM UTC-7, Tom Kunich wrote:
On Monday, May 27, 2019 at 1:47:35 PM UTC-7, jbeattie wrote:
On Sunday, May 26, 2019 at 9:23:45 PM UTC-7, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 5/26/2019 9:52 PM, Tom Kunich wrote:
On Friday, May 24, 2019 at 10:07:31 AM UTC-7, jbeattie wrote:
On Friday, May 24, 2019 at 9:27:51 AM UTC-7, Tom Kunich wrote:
I don't know how many of you watched the Amgen Tour of California but I think it was a Frenchman that got way hell and gone off of the front on Stage 5 I think.

As he was descending a rather long and steep climb he looked like an absolute beginner. All of his lines were screwed up and he almost went off the road several times. On one occasion he ran off of the road and up onto the sloped dirt siding.

I could not understand how someone that could ride 7 minutes off the front of a 140 mile race was so amateurish descending. He wasn't tired because he kept his lead for a very long way after the descent finishing with a full 7 minute lead.

Two days ago during some rain I was looking at videos and ran across one of them by a pro that showed himself descending almost identically amateurishly. The same bad lines though the corners and the same very dangerous lines.

He blamed this entirely on his disk brakes. He said climbing they drag and make noises and descending they cannot be relied upon to slow you properly. The upshot is he said that NO PRO would choose disk brakes over rim brakes and that this was just another gadget to up the price of a bike.

When I was talking here about how too F-ing powerful the large disks were and how much better the V-brakes were on a cross bike I got a whole lot of static. Well it appears that the same problem is on road bikes with the smaller disks.

They also have an aero disadvantage and I can tell you that the new bikes are so aero that you have to be careful descending in a group because you keep closing up on those in front.

The original idea was to have an alternate way to brake so that you wouldn't wear out the braking surface of carbon wheels. But using the artificial cork brake pads allows you to use a set of carbon wheels as long as you can the super-light aluminum wheels with standard brake pads.

Although we are presently in a trade dispute with China I don't expect that to last long and carbon wheels from China only seem to have one problem - they do not have much spoke tension and so move around too much in side winds. And they are spectacularly cheap.

While the US made carbon wheels are slightly more aero it isn't by much and unless you're riding TT's it isn't worth paying six to eight times the price.

Another problem - rim brakes put all of the braking forces at the strongest portion of the bike. Disks put the forces at the weakest. This forces manufacturers to make much heavier forks and rear stays. And the axles have gone to much larger sizes that cannot be used with quick releases. Pro mechanics no long change out wheels on bikes but make entire bike changes and that costs a lot more time than it used to.

All in all I think that disks are nothing more than something different to buy if you're a non-mechanical enthusiast that is likely to go with the flow.

Here is what some pros say: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OX_EPa0ZuSM

Discs do give better braking with CF rims, they don't heat rim glue, so you don't get sew-ups squirming around on the rims. If I were doing a long descent with lots of braking on sew-ups, I might prefer a disc. Otherwise, on a rapid descent on a racing bike with clinchers on aluminum rims on dry pavement, there is no a whole lot of difference between the two, assuming both are properly adjusted and the pistons lubricated. I own both and don't find much difference, except in ways that are equally bad, e.g. rim brakes grabbing at seams or with contaminants on the rim and discs shuddering or grabbing or screaming.

If disc brakes are juiced up to the point where light braking locks up the wheel, then that's a problem. If one is used to the requisite heavy hand to get good rear braking with a cable caliper brake, then that can be a problem with discs. I had to adjust after a couple of fish-tailing experiences.

Discs are the clear winner in wet-weather riding, but on dry pavement, it's just a matter of feel and personal preference. In professional racing, there are other considerations.

-- Jay Beattie.

I have had very long rides in the rain though not by choice. I never had a single problem with the brakes but with the tires. Stronger brakes would make that problem worse yet.

Since aluminum rims actually conduct heat a lot more directly than carbon wheels what would make you single out carbon wheels?

I have been thrown over the bars - WAY over the bars on my cross bike when I was braking and a trail bump locked the front wheel solid and releasing the brakes doesn't release the disk brake the same speed.

On my other cross bike I have TRP 9.0 brakes and they are so superior I have told that story more times than necessary.

I think that team mechanic summed it up - "The industry wants it and it is coming whether we want it or not. So we might as well get used to the idea."

The industry wants it for racers because a significant number of
ordinary cyclists will want whatever the racers use - as I said earlier.

Maybe, but unlike some equipment first seen on racing bikes -- SIS, step-in pedals, electronic shifting, X + 1 speed, etc. -- the pro peleton seems to be following the consumer market. My 2006 Cannondale CX was sold with discs when they were still prohibited by the UCI -- totally ruining my Euro pro CX career. The Trek Portland had discs. Phil Wood had a disc brake in the mid to late '70s. Small rotor hydraulic discs were introduced by Shimano in 2013 and not seen in the TdF until five years later. Yes, putting them on TdF bikes stimulates the market, assuming consumers pay attention to what's on TdF bikes, which is a questionable assumption. Most people don't follow pro racing and just go into bike shops and look around.

And for Tom, carbon rim wheels are hard to stop when wet and they are poor at dissipating heat. Discs fix a lot of problems with carbon wheels. I've been riding on cable or hydraulic road discs for 13 years and have never thrown myself over the bars. I have locked up a rear wheel because rear braking is so much more positive, so I avoid being ham-handed. Discs have their own set of problems and aren't perfect, but like I said, they're great wet weather brakes, and you don't grind your rims into oblivion.

-- Jay Beattie.

That isn't clear Jay. While normal old Carbon Fiber conducts heat up to half as good as aluminum, the unidirectional stuff conducts twice as good a aluminum.

The problem is that carbon fiber itself is a good conductor while the resin isn't. So depending on the construction technique you could have a pretty heat conductive rim. And if they were to put it together with graphene strips that a whole other ball game since graphene conducts heat 30 times better than aluminum.

Also, they had this really great test of aluminum vs carbon fiber bars in YouTube. The final result was that aluminum has a fatigue limit while carbon fiber fatigue limit was so high they never reached it in three days of constant running. However - in a crash that exceeded the strength of the material carbon fiber would break while aluminum would bend.

I know that modern designs are better with heat dissipation. My son has some Vision CF wheels that were OE on his Emonda. His major complaint is braking with wet rims -- or the lack of braking. He also complains that the brakes scream when the rims are hot. He's shopping from some new aluminum wheels. He's moving back to SLC and is going to resume his former life of climbing and descending canyons. His comment is "why own them." His words, not mine. He'd probably miss having really stiff wheels, but the braking issues are important to him -- and they should be on the twisting, steep roads in the Wasatch. Shimano C40s would probably be a good choice.

-- Jay Beattie.

Old May 28th 19, 05:13 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joy Beeson

On Sun, 26 May 2019 18:06:08 -0500, AMuzi wrote:

Four bicycles is not ridiculous. A Sunday morning road bike,
my beloved ancient Raleigh with steel mudguards, and a cute
little folder that easily goes with me to other cities where
local auto driving is undesirable. Then my fixie, which was
built expressly to avoid winter salt on the other bikes.

YMMV and probably does but each of them fills a real need
better than the others do. I gave away or sold everything else.

Even I have two: an ancient Fuji Gran Tourer for getting around, and
a comparitively-new Trek Pure for days when I can't walk, and times
when I want to walk faster or I want to carry something that would
throw me off balance.

--
Joy Beeson
joy beeson at comcast dot net
Old May 28th 19, 08:31 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Chalo

In my observation, when disc brakes get wet, they lose power and make noise.. Evidently people who believe in them also believe they don't get wet.

The best brakes for wet conditions are drums, which almost always stay dry inside where it counts, and which give consistent braking that helps avoid unwanted skidding or overrun. They're also much cleaner than discs in the wet. I never hear any of the folks who tout discs' wet performance mention drums. Maybe they're more into new hotness than good wet braking? Or do they think weaker wheels make for better stopping?

Old May 28th 19, 08:50 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
SMS

On 5/27/2019 2:07 PM, jbeattie wrote:

snip

Hmmm. I don't know what problems you're having, but a popular problem for me is the "last chain" syndrome: I change the chains before they elongate, and after the third chain, the cassettes are gone and don't shift well. There is no bad skipping like the old days -- just poor shifting, shifts hanging up and apparent ghost shifting. My son was whining about the shifting on his (formerly my) 10sp CAAD 9, and that was the problem. I threw on a cassette today, and it works flawlessly. That is a great bike -- last of the American produced Cannondales.

My next door neighbor was going to give away a U.S. produced Cannondale
to a thrift store. I took it and fixed it up. It needed new brakes,
tires, and a new seat. It has upright bars. I just gave it to my
daughter to use for commuting because her drop bar road bike is hard on
her neck. One thing it doesn't have is bottle mounts in the right place.
I need to drill some hole for some Rivnuts (no, just kidding).
Old May 28th 19, 03:02 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

On Tuesday, May 28, 2019 at 12:32:01 AM UTC-7, Chalo wrote:
In my observation, when disc brakes get wet, they lose power and make noise. Evidently people who believe in them also believe they don't get wet.

The best brakes for wet conditions are drums, which almost always stay dry inside where it counts, and which give consistent braking that helps avoid unwanted skidding or overrun. They're also much cleaner than discs in the wet. I never hear any of the folks who tout discs' wet performance mention drums. Maybe they're more into new hotness than good wet braking? Or do they think weaker wheels make for better stopping?

Drums are great except when you want to stop on a long descent or quickly. A Sturmey-Archer front hub also weighs more than a modern racing frame. http://www.sturmey-archer.com/en/products/detail/xl-fd Can you even get a drum with a QR? A drum brake doesn't solve any problems for me.

-- Jay Beattie.

Old May 28th 19, 04:45 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 5/28/2019 10:02 AM, jbeattie wrote:
[...]

For a long time, Santana (the tandem manufacturer) advised against disc
brakes, saying IIRC that those then available didn't have the thermal
capacity for long descents with tandem loads.

I think they now have their own model with a greatly oversized disc.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old May 28th 19, 06:32 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Mark J.

On 5/28/2019 8:45 AM, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 5/28/2019 10:02 AM, jbeattie wrote:
On Tuesday, May 28, 2019 at 12:32:01 AM UTC-7, Chalo wrote:
In my observation, when disc brakes get wet, they lose power and make
noise.Â* Evidently people who believe in them also believe they don't
get wet.

The best brakes for wet conditions are drums, which almost always
stay dry inside where it counts, and which give consistent braking
that helps avoid unwanted skidding or overrun.Â* They're also much
cleaner than discs in the wet.Â* I never hear any of the folks who
tout discs' wet performance mention drums.Â* Maybe they're more into
new hotness than good wet braking?Â* Or do they think weaker wheels
make for better stopping?

Drums are great except when you want to stop on a long descent or
quickly. A Sturmey-Archer front hub also weighs more than a modern
racing frame. http://www.sturmey-archer.com/en/products/detail/xl-fd
Can you even get a drum with a QR?Â* A drum brake doesn't solve any
problems for me.

For a long time, Santana (the tandem manufacturer) advised against disc
brakes, saying IIRC that those then available didn't have the thermal
capacity for long descents with tandem loads.

I think they now have their own model with a greatly oversized disc.

IIRC, Santana said a /lot/ of things were unsuitable for tandems...
until Santana started selling those things.

Mark J.
Old May 28th 19, 08:38 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

On Tuesday, May 28, 2019 at 10:32:47 AM UTC-7, Mark J. wrote:
[...]

And the drums of the era like the Arai drum brakes were just rear drag brakes known to overheat. The primary brakes were still cantis or v-brakes.

-- Jay Beattie.
Old May 28th 19, 08:54 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 5/28/2019 2:38 PM, jbeattie wrote:
[...]

With likely more miles and years on a drum (1953 SA) than
anyone here, they are indeed the same wet or dry, warm
(never experienced overheating symptoms) or cold (cold being
Wisconsin headline-notable cold).

They are indeed ridiculously heavy and impede wheel changes.

The most significant aspect IMHO is that while they offer
some consistent brake effect, drums can't be a primary brake
in traffic or probably most real-world riding[1]. Another
snappier more responsive brake is needed. In my case a
Universal 61 front which I lost in a car crash, replaced by
a Zeus Alfa front.

As with Santana's big disc, which is tandem-specific and
proportional to the load, a drum for a tandem should be much
larger to dissipate heat effectively. Arai drums are not.

[1] There are outliers such as 20" Schwinn Krates with big
Atom aluminum front drum on a small diameter 16" wheel.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old May 28th 19, 09:54 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Roger Merriman[_4_]

Chalo wrote:
In my observation, when disc brakes get wet, they lose power and make
noise. Evidently people who believe in them also believe they don't get wet.

The best brakes for wet conditions are drums, which almost always stay
dry inside where it counts, and which give consistent braking that helps
avoid unwanted skidding or overrun. They're also much cleaner than discs
in the wet. I never hear any of the folks who tout discs' wet
performance mention drums. Maybe they're more into new hotness than good
wet braking? Or do they think weaker wheels make for better stopping?

Since discs at least for bikes essentially come from MTBing which is often
wet and dirty braking is remarkably consistent, my commute bike which is a
old MTB with fairly basic hydro discs, bar the the first braking of the
commute where it clears the disc.

If the disc is noisy none of mine are, most normal culprit is oil, discs
generally should be left be, wash off the dead sheep maybe, but don’t
fiddle.

Roger Merriman

Disk vs. V-Brakes mike[_3_] Techniques 19 May 9th 07 03:46 AM
Disk brakes? Sticky Wicket Techniques 112 February 8th 07 05:27 PM
Disk brakes General 13 July 3rd 06 03:44 PM
Disk brakes? Hot! ain Mountain Biking 20 May 5th 04 12:57 PM
Disk Brakes john Mountain Biking 4 January 22nd 04 02:44 AM