Offroad cycling news

Old July 3rd 19, 01:58 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

Default Offroad cycling news

Scary! Like a crosstown commute:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BlcAFVO_Kyo

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old July 3rd 19, 05:19 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 7/3/2019 8:58 AM, AMuzi wrote:
Scary! Like a crosstown commute:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BlcAFVO_Kyo

Two questions:

1) Why??

2) Shouldn't their disc brakes have saved them?

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old July 3rd 19, 05:26 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

On Wednesday, July 3, 2019 at 12:19:28 PM UTC-4, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 7/3/2019 8:58 AM, AMuzi wrote:
Scary! Like a crosstown commute:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BlcAFVO_Kyo

Two questions:

1) Why??

2) Shouldn't their disc brakes have saved them?

--
- Frank Krygowski

Wheels probably locked up when/if they applied the brake.

Cheers
Old July 3rd 19, 06:13 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 7/3/2019 8:58 AM, AMuzi wrote:
Scary! Like a crosstown commute:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BlcAFVO_Kyo

Two questions:

1) Why??

2) Shouldn't their disc brakes have saved them?

--
- Frank Krygowski

Wheels probably locked up when/if they applied the brake.

Ya think? :-)

I guess I needed a smiley after the brake question.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old July 3rd 19, 06:45 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Mark J.

On 7/3/2019 9:19 AM, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 7/3/2019 8:58 AM, AMuzi wrote:
Scary! Like a crosstown commute:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BlcAFVO_Kyo

Two questions:

1) Why??

2) Shouldn't their disc brakes have saved them?

I don't see what year that video is/was, but another video gives a
different impression (still insane, but different), in ?a different
year? and at the front of the event:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J_IFoSKTl1Y

It's the 2019 edition, taken from the ?winner's? helmet cam. The first
~5 minutes are interesting, then I clicked ahead randomly. If you watch
some of the brief uphill bits (they are rare), you see that this guy has
comparatively huge horsepower - he moves up dramatically at every uphill.

Mark J.
Old July 3rd 19, 06:50 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

On 7/3/2019 8:58 AM, AMuzi wrote:
Scary! Like a crosstown commute:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BlcAFVO_Kyo

Two questions:

1) Why??

2) Shouldn't their disc brakes have saved them?

--
- Frank Krygowski

Wheels probably locked up when/if they applied the brake.

Ya think? :-)

I guess I needed a smiley after the brake question.

--
- Frank Krygowski

No smiley needed. I answered for others who might have been following. One thing I learned very early in my riding on ice or had pack snow was STAY OFF THE FRONT BRAKE! Especially in a turn.

I'm still amazed a how much traction those Michelin Pro Comp 19mm tires had on ice and hard pack snow or even on wet leaves covered roads.

I remember reading Pete Penseyres stating that he tried to get Avocet slick tires to break loose by riding the white fog-line up a hill for a quarter of a mile in the rain and was unable to do so.

Cheers
Old July 3rd 19, 07:40 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

On 7/3/2019 8:58 AM, AMuzi wrote:
Scary! Like a crosstown commute:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BlcAFVO_Kyo

Two questions:

1) Why??

2) Shouldn't their disc brakes have saved them?

I don't see what year that video is/was, but another video gives a
different impression (still insane, but different), in ?a different
year? and at the front of the event:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J_IFoSKTl1Y

It's the 2019 edition, taken from the ?winner's? helmet cam. The first
~5 minutes are interesting, then I clicked ahead randomly. If you watch
some of the brief uphill bits (they are rare), you see that this guy has
comparatively huge horsepower - he moves up dramatically at every uphill.

Mark J.

After the snowfield, it turns into a pretty ordinary ski-resort DH. The snowfield is the crazy part and certainly not my cup of tea. Maybe on skis, but I look at the video and can feel my edges chattering on that hard-pack. It's like skiing Palmer in the summer -- which is great in that ten minutes between morning ice and afternoon slush. Timing that bike race must be very important as is getting out front before the snow is all churned up. I think they should do a version on racing bikes with 23mm tires. Make it a bit more challenging.

-- Jay Beattie.

Old July 3rd 19, 08:17 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

On 7/3/2019 8:58 AM, AMuzi wrote:
[...]

The Hi-Lite SuperComp HD and the Avocet were pretty grippy. The Avocet was a supposed "game changer" because it was a slick with no raised ridge or file tread like the Elan and Turbo of the era, but the rubber compound was a pretty straight forward carbon black compound. IIRC, Michelin jumped on the slick bandwagon with the Hi-Lite which leap-frogged the Turbo -- which had killed the Elan. The bloody tire wars of the 70s - 80s!

IRC made the Avocet and now has a magical rice-compound wet grip tire. https://ircbike.com/collections/road...aspite-pro-wet I've never tried one, but I hear it is good if you're riding in soy sauce.

-- Jay Beattie.

Old July 4th 19, 06:15 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
dave[_3_]

On Wed, 03 Jul 2019 10:50:36 -0700, Sir Ridesalot wrote:

I guess I needed a smiley after the brake question.

No smiley needed. I answered for others who might have been following.

Everyone else following got the joke.

--
davethedave

New Coker offroad tyre! TonyMelton Unicycling 10 October 8th 08 01:26 AM
Offroad Light Noel UK 6 November 7th 06 11:14 PM
Mandatory for offroad riding Mojo General 0 December 5th 05 01:58 PM
Very Wide Tires For Offroad? Chris Hedges Techniques 7 September 28th 04 09:56 PM
Galaxy Offroad ? Tom McCabe UK 6 July 28th 04 10:09 AM