Polar 720i (710) Power Meter Performance

Old July 7th 04, 07:07 AM
Pippen

Default Polar 720i (710) Power Meter Performance

I'm currently interested in the Polar Power Meter for the 720/710 HRM. I
have researched the web and have a pretty good idea as to how they compare
to the SRM and the Power Tap. I'm looking for individual feed back, not so
much on accuracy as consistency. I should metion that I currently have a
720i and I'm not willing to sink another $700 (Power Tap) to $1500 + (SRM)
on another system.

Most of the sites I found using google dealt with accuracy which the Polar
falls behind compared to the others mentioned above. I don't care if I'm 40
watts off actual on a particular climb only that the next time that I ride
that climb I'm still 40 watts off the actual wattage.

I know that this is very difficult if not impossible to test. What I'm
looking for is gut feeling on consistency of this power meter...

Thanks,

-p

Old July 7th 04, 05:42 PM
JPape

I have the power meter and am quite satisfied with it. Can't say much about
accuracy against other units, but when comparing my efforts w/ same meter
suits me fine. Only issue that I find is that it appears to suffer from
interference near power lines. I pass by a network of powerlines when I ride
and sometimes see my power go up to 900 watts. I think " pretty
impressive... I'm on par w/ Cippolini", but once I get past the line it
returns to the 200 watt range. Oh well.

Set up was easy on my road bike. On my triathlon bike (KM40), has a curved
chain stay and I was unsure if I had the placement set right. Comparing
power between the bikes, they appeared similar, so it was probably not an
issue.

Old July 8th 04, 08:58 AM
Jørn Dahl-Stamnes

In article , "JPape" wrote:
I have the power meter and am quite satisfied with it. Can't say much about
accuracy against other units, but when comparing my efforts w/ same meter
suits me fine. Only issue that I find is that it appears to suffer from
interference near power lines. I pass by a network of powerlines when I ride
and sometimes see my power go up to 900 watts. I think " pretty
impressive... I'm on par w/ Cippolini", but once I get past the line it
returns to the 200 watt range. Oh well.

Your bike is probably draining power from the powerlines... ;-)

One one of my routes, there is a point where my heart rate goes up to 280 bpm,
the speed up to 80-90 km/h and my cadence to 150-200... It last for 5-10
seconds, then it's normal again. No powerlines around, but I can see an
antenna nearby the road.

--
Jørn Dahl-Stamnes

Old July 9th 04, 03:43 AM
Andy Coggan

"Pippen" wrote in message
I'm currently interested in the Polar Power Meter for the 720/710 HRM. I
have researched the web and have a pretty good idea as to how they compare
to the SRM and the Power Tap. I'm looking for individual feed back, not so
much on accuracy as consistency. I should metion that I currently have a
720i and I'm not willing to sink another $700 (Power Tap) to $1500 + (SRM)
on another system.

Most of the sites I found using google dealt with accuracy which the Polar
falls behind compared to the others mentioned above. I don't care if I'm

40
watts off actual on a particular climb only that the next time that I ride
that climb I'm still 40 watts off the actual wattage.

I know that this is very difficult if not impossible to test. What I'm
looking for is gut feeling on consistency of this power meter...

The answer to your question can be found by perusing the archives of the
wattage list on topica.com:

http://www.topica.com/lists/wattage/read

Andy Coggan