How many rides should you get from a chain?

Old August 31st 03, 09:40 PM
Steve Brunsman

Default How many rides should you get from a chain?

Answer: If it's a Campy 10 speed chain... one. That's right, last night on
the first ride with a brand new Campy 10 speed chain, the worthless piece of
**** broke within the first 4 miles. Not at the Perma-Link, either.

This is the first time I've broken a chain of any kind. I'm a Campy fan, but
their chains are absolute crap.

Old September 1st 03, 07:27 AM
A Muzi

"Steve Brunsman" wrote in message
news2t4b.319211$uu5.65808@sccrnsc04...
Answer: If it's a Campy 10 speed chain... one. That's right, last night on
the first ride with a brand new Campy 10 speed chain, the worthless piece

of
**** broke within the first 4 miles. Not at the Perma-Link, either.

This is the first time I've broken a chain of any kind. I'm a Campy fan,

but
their chains are absolute crap.

Agreed. We no longer use them on new bicycle builds.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org

Old September 1st 03, 08:04 AM
Mark Wolfe

Get a wipperman.

Steve Brunsman wrote:

Answer: If it's a Campy 10 speed chain... one. That's right, last night on
the first ride with a brand new Campy 10 speed chain, the worthless piece

of
**** broke within the first 4 miles. Not at the Perma-Link, either.

This is the first time I've broken a chain of any kind. I'm a Campy fan,

but
their chains are absolute crap.

--
Mark Wolfe http://www.wolfenet.org
gpg fingerprint = 42B6 EFEB 5414 AA18 01B7 64AC EF46 F7E6 82F6 8C71
Old September 1st 03, 02:18 PM
Qui si parla Campagnolo

andy- Agreed. We no longer use them on new bicycle builds. BRBR

What do ya do when they want a Campagnolo one?

We also use IRD, Wipperman are too expensive, never tried a KMC one.

Peter Chisholm
Vecchio's Bicicletteria
1833 Pearl St.
Boulder, CO, 80302
(303)440-3535
http://www.vecchios.com
Old September 1st 03, 03:09 PM
Steve Brunsman

I used the Connex from my Wipperman to join the chain, but it broke
elsewhere, not at the Connex link..

"Qui si parla Campagnolo" wrote in message
Steve- Answer: If it's a Campy 10 speed chain... one. That's right, last
night on
the first ride with a brand new Campy 10 speed chain, the worthless piece

of
**** broke within the first 4 miles. Not at the Perma-Link, either.

This is the first time I've broken a chain of any kind. I'm a Campy fan,

but
their chains are absolute crap. BRBR

How about some info..Permalinks haven't been used for about 18

months...Was the
chain joined in some other way, one pin pushed out then in??

Peter Chisholm
Vecchio's Bicicletteria
1833 Pearl St.
Boulder, CO, 80302
(303)440-3535
http://www.vecchios.com

Old September 1st 03, 03:12 PM
Steve Brunsman

I do and i have... the IRD is better. The Wipperman was jumping links on the
11 tooth cog, which led me to try the Campy. When that piece of junk failed,
I went back to the IRD and the cog jumping stopped.

"Mark Wolfe" wrote in message
Get a wipperman.

Old September 1st 03, 06:19 PM
David L. Johnson

On Mon, 01 Sep 2003 14:12:09 +0000, Steve Brunsman wrote:

I do and i have... the IRD is better. The Wipperman was jumping links on
the 11 tooth cog, which led me to try the Campy. When that piece of junk
failed, I went back to the IRD and the cog jumping stopped.

Hmm. Was, by any chance, the IRD chain the one that was on the bike
earlier? That is, had it had some use already? And the Campy was a new
chain, as was the Wipperman?

The reason I wonder is that skipping is the universal indicator of a worn
cassette. 11s would wear more quickly than other sprockets, all things
being equal -- do you use the 11 a lot? Especially since the skipping
stopped after replacing the old chain (if my supposition is correct),
cassette wear is a very likely culprit.

Maybe you covered that territory already, but if so I missed it.

--

David L. Johnson

__o | We have a record of conquest, colonization and expansion
_`\(,_ | unequalled by any people in the Nineteenth Century. We are not
(_)/ (_) | to be curbed now. --Henry Cabot Lodge, 1895

Old September 2nd 03, 12:58 AM
A Muzi

(am) Agreed. We no longer use them on new bicycle builds. BRBR

"Qui si parla Campagnolo" wrote in message
What do ya do when they want a Campagnolo one?

We also use IRD, Wipperman are too expensive, never tried a KMC one.

We do stock and sell them but our preference is Wippermann/KMC. Isn't good
to say "no"

Old September 2nd 03, 01:52 PM
Qui si parla Campagnolo

Andy- We do stock and sell them but our preference is Wippermann/KMC. Isn't
good
to say "no" BRBR

Thanks, I'm gonna get a couple of KMC ones and see how they do. We like the IRD
one but have problems on 11t cogs. Connex link works with 11t if it facing the
correct way. Would love to see a $25 10s chain with snap link that works with
11t...Wipperman are nice but expensive.

Peter Chisholm
Vecchio's Bicicletteria
1833 Pearl St.