Compact frame vs Traditional Frame geometry

Old August 31st 03, 10:58 PM
Jkpoulos7

Default Compact frame vs Traditional Frame geometry

I don't know why so many are still attached to old headsets.

Because too many factories and/or shops cut steerer tubes short for that "racy"
look which makes fitting extremely difficult. If the steerer tubes were left
uncut until the buyer decides on an ideal height I'd support threadless as well
but leaving the steer tubes long is very rare.
Old September 1st 03, 05:32 AM
David L. Johnson

On Sun, 31 Aug 2003 14:53:19 +0000, Robin Hubert wrote:

You've never had to pound a cone-style quill stem bolt/binder system to
get the cone outa the quill?

Pound, no. Tap, yes.

--

David L. Johnson

__o | A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored
_`\(,_ | by little statesmen and philosophers and divines. --Ralph Waldo
(_)/ (_) | Emerson

Old September 1st 03, 02:00 PM
Qui si parla Campagnolo

H guy- well, i'm going to give the manufacturers the benefit of the doubt
here, and theorize that cheaper manufacturing leads to cheaper
prices, which puts more bikes between the legs of customers. if a
decent alu-framed bike costs you almost $2K, i'm betting you could
add another $.5K to get a nice handmade, lugged steel frame on there.
BRBR

Like threadless, that savings was not passed onto the consumer.

Lugged framesets from Mark Nobilette-custom are about $1600.

Peter Chisholm
Vecchio's Bicicletteria
1833 Pearl St.
Boulder, CO, 80302
(303)440-3535
http://www.vecchios.com
Old September 1st 03, 02:04 PM
Qui si parla Campagnolo

basjan- I like shimano HS..great design..

And the whole crowd fell silent BRBR

Ya need to read more of my posts or at least don't ignore the ones where I
think the shimano 'thing' is a great idea. Like MTB hubs for touring, samo for
their barends, samo for big MTB cogsets on road bikes, even with ERGO
shifting..

And when I say that Campagnolo package wheels are dumb, etc.

But when somebody 'accuses' me of being biased, I just smile..

Peter Chisholm
Vecchio's Bicicletteria
1833 Pearl St.
Boulder, CO, 80302
(303)440-3535
http://www.vecchios.com
Old September 2nd 03, 01:40 AM
Mark Hickey

"David L. Johnson" wrote:

On Sat, 30 Aug 2003 06:29:29 +0000, Tim McTeague wrote:

I don't know why so many are still attached to old headsets. I LOVE the
threadless design. Yes, I miss the easy adjustability of quill stems

Enough for me, there. A minor spill -- pushes your bars out of alignment,
then you have to re-adjust the headset?

Worse, due to the fact the threadless design grips the steer tube more
than is necessary, very likely the crash will bend your bars. Worse
yet, if your soft middle is what's doing the bending, the damage could
be painful.

With a threaded stem, the stem simply slips a bit. You stand the bike
up, twist it back and ride.

If you pack the bike for shipment with a threadless stem, the fork is
no longer held in. When you reassemble the bike, you'll have to futz
around with the headset preload. Oh, and did you remember to tape all
those spacers to the bike, or do you have to drive to the LBS to get
some more?

With a threaded stem, drop it in, set the height, twist the allen
wrench and ride. If you decide to raise the bars a bit in the middle
of a ride, it's a 30 second adjustment. With a threaded stem, you get
to pull the stem off, juggle washers, and reset your headset preload
(unless you drop one of the washers or bolts, in which case you get to
ride in the sag).

And, while I did not
have to adjust it often, I hated having to use those huge wrenchs. More
than once over the years my headset became lose on a ride and I had to
keep trying to tighten it with my hands, as who carries the proper tools
for that?

My headset has been quietly doing its job for two years. No adjustment.
Meanwhile, I move the bars to accomodate my aging back, no trouble, and to
re-align after falling in the rain.

I NEVER have to tighten my threaded headsets. Just get 'em right the
first time and ride until you decide to repack.

Threadless can be adjusted with just about any mini-tool.
Alligning the stem does not require me to "pound" the center bolt to free
the wedge as with quills.

"Pound"?

A love tap, maybe. With a bit of grease and an absolute minimal
amount of maintenance, you're not going to have any problems with a
threaded stem.

Mark Hickey
Habanero Cycles
http://www.habcycles.com
Home of the $695 ti frame
Old September 2nd 03, 02:16 AM

If you pack the bike for shipment with a threadless stem, the fork is
no longer held in.

Since most threadless stems detach at the end, couldn't you just keep the fork
and stem in place and only remove the handlebars?

(remove clothes to reply)
Old September 3rd 03, 11:25 PM
Doug Kaye

What is the main difference between the two bike geometries?

The most rational answer I've seen for this question was posted by
Gerard Vroomen of Cervelo, on the slowtwitch forum:
"The differences are actually very easy to measure and understand,
unfortunately few people in the industry are interested in the actual
differences or in testing and rather just make up stuff for their
brochure.

The differences between sloping and horizontal are small, but if you
use the same tubeset for both frames, the following differences will
occur:

1) slightly higher bottom bracker stiffness for the sloping frame
2) slightly higher torsional stiffness for the horizontal toptube
frame
3) slightly lighter frame with the sloping toptube
4) slightly lighter seatpost wit the horizontal toptube frame
5) slightly more seatpost compliance with the sloping frame.

issues 3 and 4 are a wash, and for us at Cervelo the choice between
sloping and horizontal depends on whatcombination we are looking for
out of 1, 2 and 5. For our Alu bikes, which have plenty of bb and
torsional stiffness anyway, we go with a sloping toptube (or a dropped
toptube on the tri bikes which has the same effect) to get a bit more
seatpost compliance.

For the steel frames, this is not necessary and so we can increase the
torsional stiffness by keeping the toptube horizontal, especially nice
for the twisting and turning on rough roads.

For the new carbon frame, the seatpost compliance wasn't an issue but
we did want to get the highest possible bb stiffness, so we opted for
a sloping frame."
Old September 4th 03, 02:10 AM
Kyle Brooks

Another great bargain in custom built lugged steel frames is Mercian. You
can order direct from them in England, if you don't have a dealer nearby --
and even when you factor in the astronomical shipping from England, the
frame and fork come in well under $1000.

Compact frame sizeing TG General 10 June 30th 04 06:45 AM
handlebar height n crowley General 35 April 19th 04 07:12 PM
Compact Geometry and Long Distance Jason T Techniques 15 August 7th 03 12:44 AM
SuperGo Weyless Ultra frame recall Slash Mountain Biking 2 August 1st 03 05:16 PM
Merits of compact geometry frames vs "classic" geometry??? ari Techniques 8 July 17th 03 03:40 AM