A Cycling & bikes forum. CycleBanter.com

Go Back   Home » CycleBanter.com forum » rec.bicycles » Techniques
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Sheldon's still helping!

Old May 9th 14, 03:37 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot
external usenet poster

Default Sheldon's still helping!

I'm getting a bicycle Columbus SL frame repainted. I had to get the cup and cone bottom bracket off and there was no way that my fixed cup wrench was going to budge that Italian fixed cup. Once again Sheldon brown came to the rescue. His "Bolt, washers and nut" fixed cup removal tool worked like a charm. I made mine with a 5/8" bolt with a 9/16" hex-head, 5 split washers and 3 flat washers and one 9/16" nut. The split washers went onto the bolt which was then inserted into the fixed cup from the left side of the bottom bracket. Then i added the 3 flat washers (to cover the bolt threads) on the outside of the fixed cup. Next i put the nut onto the bolt and really tightened it. Finally I used a socket on the bolt head inside the fixed cup to unscrew it by tightening the bolt. It was quite easy to get the fixed cup off this way and there was not danger of a wrench slipping off the very narrow fixed cup flats and mashing knuckles.

You can see Sheldon's Fixed Cup Tools description of this tool he

http://sheldonbrown.com/tooltips/bbcups.html

Thank you Sheldon!

Cheers
Ads
Old May 9th 14, 05:13 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Duane[_3_]
external usenet poster

On 5/9/2014 10:37 AM, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
I'm getting a bicycle Columbus SL frame repainted. I had to get the cup and cone bottom bracket off and there was no way that my fixed cup wrench was going to budge that Italian fixed cup. Once again Sheldon brown came to the rescue. His "Bolt, washers and nut" fixed cup removal tool worked like a charm. I made mine with a 5/8" bolt with a 9/16" hex-head, 5 split washers and 3 flat washers and one 9/16" nut. The split washers went onto the bolt which was then inserted into the fixed cup from the left side of the bottom bracket. Then i added the 3 flat washers (to cover the bolt threads) on the outside of the fixed cup. Next i put the nut onto the bolt and really tightened it. Finally I used a socket on the bolt head inside the fixed cup to unscrew it by tightening the bolt. It was quite easy to get the fixed cup off this way and there was not danger of a wrench slipping off the very narrow fixed cup flats and mashing knuckles.

Thank you Sheldon!

Cheers

Every year, I send the new members of our club a link to his sight.
Old May 9th 14, 05:13 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi
external usenet poster

On 5/9/2014 9:37 AM, Sir Ridesalot wrote:

That works but most painters use a Campagnolo right cup tool
and don't charge for the service. Ditto headset cups & crown
race. Rusted frame end screws however can be expensive to
remove!

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/
Open every day since 1 April, 1971

Old May 9th 14, 05:22 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot
external usenet poster

On Friday, May 9, 2014 12:13:46 PM UTC-4, AMuzi wrote:
On 5/9/2014 9:37 AM, Sir Ridesalot wrote:

That works but most painters use a Campagnolo right cup tool

and don't charge for the service. Ditto headset cups & crown

race. Rusted frame end screws however can be expensive to

remove!

--

Andrew Muzi

www.yellowjersey.org/

Open every day since 1 April, 1971

I had to strip all parts from the frame prior to taking it to the painter.

Cheers