Slightly ovaled headset suitable for commuter bike?

Old May 19th 14, 11:23 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default Slightly ovaled headset suitable for commuter bike?

Hi All-

A few years ago, I bought an early '90s Ritchey mountain bike frame off of Ebay with grand designs of building myself a "vintage" mountain bike. However, when I received the frame and started assembling it, it became apparent that the top of the head tube is slightly ovaled. The headset doesn't exactly drop in, but it's a looser fit than is optimal. My LBS cautioned me about riding it as a mountain bike for obvious reasons. Does anyone here have any opinions as to whether or not I could get away with using it as a commuter bike? It's otherwise a nice frame, and I'd hate to throw it away. Are the stresses generated by mountain biking significantly more than by commuting?

Cheers,
Casey
Old May 20th 14, 03:30 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 5/19/2014 6:23 PM, wrote:
[...]

I'm sure mountain biking stresses are higher, assuming similar wall
thicknesses in the frame.

If the head tube isn't cracked, I can't imagine it would cause a sudden
failure. I'd at least assemble the fork and headset and see if it can
be adjusted well enough. If it doesn't bind or clunk badly, I'd try
riding it. If it can't be adjusted, I'll bet Andrew Muzi will have some
good advice.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old May 20th 14, 02:46 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 5/19/2014 9:27 PM, John B. wrote:
On Mon, 19 May 2014 15:23:04 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

Hi All-

A few years ago, I bought an early '90s Ritchey mountain bike frame off of Ebay with grand designs of building myself a "vintage" mountain bike. However, when I received the frame and started assembling it, it became apparent that the top of the head tube is slightly ovaled. The headset doesn't exactly drop in, but it's a looser fit than is optimal. My LBS cautioned me about riding it as a mountain bike for obvious reasons. Does anyone here have any opinions as to whether or not I could get away with using it as a commuter bike? It's otherwise a nice frame, and I'd hate to throw it away. Are the stresses generated by mountain biking significantly more than by commuting?

Cheers,
Casey

The head tube is actually an oval? Or the bearing race just pushes in
easier? If the former I believe I would investigate further, if the
latter I wouldn't worry about it as the head bearing race fit seems to
vary somewhat from bike to bike.

I'm guessing here but I believe that you could break a fork before you
would ovalize (is that a word?) a head tube.
--
Cheers,

John B.
(invalid to gmail)

Yes, a head tube can be oval and/or enlarged without fork
damage. The repair is to fill in new metal and cut a round
bore of the correct diameter:
http://www.yellowjersey.org/photosfr...t/headfill.jpg

--
Andrew Muzi