Shimano headset with hose clamp (for Frank)

Old June 7th 16, 10:34 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

Default Shimano headset with hose clamp (for Frank)

On 2016-06-07 08:35, jbeattie wrote:

Are you f****** kidding? An MP3 player and SPEAKERS? That is
trashier than the hose clamp. I hope the mountain lions do eat you.

It is one with an integrated speaker. I only use it on long boring
uphill slogs, especially when a heavier load slows me down. Above 15mph
on regular stretches it wouldn't make much sense anyhow because of the
wind noise. The speaker is pointed directly at me in order to minimize
bothering others (there usually aren't any others).

This is on the road bike. Still debating whether to get another one for
the MTB for long prairie sections of trail. But probably not.

Please, no.

We have a beautiful nature preserve very close to our house. I'm always
astounded that most of the joggers and many of the walkers on the trails
have earbuds or even isolation headphones.

Then there are those who show up at woodland campgrounds - even those in
national parks - and decide that what everyone needs to hear is BeeGee
recordings. We got that even in one of the more distant campgrounds in
Yosemite, we got that on the north rim of the Grand Canyon, and in other
places. I've walked to get the rangers to quiet things down, but damn!
How rude! And does nobody listen to nature any more?

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old June 8th 16, 01:30 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

I already said I won't. Promise :-)

We have a beautiful nature preserve very close to our house. I'm always
astounded that most of the joggers and many of the walkers on the trails
have earbuds or even isolation headphones.

Earbuds are no-no for me. They can be dangerous.

Then there are those who show up at woodland campgrounds - even those in
national parks - and decide that what everyone needs to hear is BeeGee
recordings.

Well ... I have real genuine Bluegrass on my player!

... We got that even in one of the more distant campgrounds in
Yosemite, we got that on the north rim of the Grand Canyon, and in other
places. I've walked to get the rangers to quiet things down, but damn!
How rude! And does nobody listen to nature any more?

As I said I only play music on stretched such as long uphill slogs on
roads. The sounds of nature there are VROOOOM ... phzzeeee ... wwhoosh
.... rumble-rumble-rumble ... vrooom. They deserve to be drowned out.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Old June 8th 16, 07:31 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_6_]

On Tue, 7 Jun 2016 08:35:29 -0700 (PDT), jbeattie

On 2016-06-06 19:56, John B. wrote:
On Tue, 7 Jun 2016 02:14:58 +0000 (UTC), David Scheidt
wrote:

Joerg wrote:
:On 2016-06-05 10:57, jbeattie wrote:
: On Sunday, June 5, 2016 at 8:06:19 AM UTC-7, Frank Krygowski wrote:
: On 6/5/2016 3:02 AM, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
: On Sunday, June 5, 2016 at 1:50:58 AM UTC-4, John B. wrote:
:
: The head set he describes has, I believe, an aluminum lock nut
: and aluminum being softer then steel will easily either wear
: or, perhaps strip, the threads whereupon its ability to "lock"
: the threads becomes nil.
:

:There is nothing stripped in this headset, or even worn. As evidenced by
:the fact that it remains in perfect alignment with the hose clamp fix.

that proves no such thing. If it doesn't stay tight, it's either
broken, worn out, or defective to start with. In any case, replacing
it is a reasonable action, especially since it's not some whacky
French piece of garbage that's impossible to find.

Replacement was suggested but he didn't want to spend the money, if I
remember correctly.

I have other priorities. Much higher is one that I hope ain't true. On a
rough ride yesterday I might have busted the rear axle of my MTB or
(worse) something in the linkage for the rear suspension. There is now
some sideways slack in the rear that wasn't there at lunch :-(

As I said the headset work just fine right now. Yeah, the hose clamp
looks a bit odd but it is mostly hidden from sight by the addition of an
MP3 player with speaker which is attached to the steerer tube.

Are you f****** kidding? An MP3 player and SPEAKERS? That is trashier than the hose clamp. I hope the mountain lions do eat you.

-- Jay Beattie.

Aw, an MP3 player is chicken feed. There is an old guy I occasionally
see in my area of the city that has a full size car radio and CD
player, four speakers, that I can see, and a big car battery on the
rear carrier. He plays CD's and you can REALLY hear him :-)
--
cheers,

John B.

Old June 8th 16, 03:04 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

On 2016-06-07 16:51, Phil W Lee wrote:
Joerg considered Sat, 04 Jun 2016
07:40:48 -0700 the perfect time to write:

On 2016-06-03 14:18, sms wrote:
On 6/2/2016 5:24 PM, Joerg wrote:
As promised here is the pic of the hose clamp "solution" for a Shiomano
headset that used to come loose all the time:

http://www.analogconsultants.com/ng/bike/Hoseclamp.JPG

Some day I'll re-do it by underlaying something up front so the whole
thing is flush with the bottom ring. Long story short I rode 60mi with
that and this included dirt roads, bush paths and dilapidated highway
surfaces. In the past the headset was guaranteed to come loose on each
of them. No more. So I guess we can conclude that this redneck fix
works.

Ok, it doesn't look great and I'll probably get a new headset some day
but for right now the problem is ... gone.

Do you have cars up on blocks in your front yard?

No, my wife is a neat freak and would not tolerate that.

Speaking of rednecks: In rural NE Alabama, it was common to see junk
cars tipped on their sides in front yards. I was told it was easier to
cannibalize the parts that way.

When a friend needed to do major work on his Fiat 500 (the old original
one) he made it a nest and rolled it on its side. Of course, after
removing the battery and oil.

Why?
The original Fiat 500 was designed so that the removal of very few
bolts and cables (and the fuel hose) enabled any adult of normal
strength to simply lift the entire body off the engine/gearbox/rear
axle assembly, do whatever work was necessary, then lift the bodywork
back on and bolt it back down.
I've ridden heavier motorcycles!

I have no idea since I never owned a Fiat 500. All I remember is that my
friend told me this was the quickest procedure.