3D Printed Ti Lugs

Old June 9th 16, 06:45 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

Default 3D Printed Ti Lugs

http://www.bikerumor.com/2016/06/07/...link-shredder/

I would enjoys metallurgist's comments on crystal structure
and strength/weight on those Ti printed joints compared to
welded joints with cold formed Ti tube.
--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old June 9th 16, 08:15 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Is there any point to these Ti lugs? All the titanium frames weld the tubes together without any lugs. Just like TIG welded steel and aluminum frames. And all carbon frames with lugs, except this one apparently, use carbon lugs. Not a metal. Not since the days of Vitus and Alan frames, decades ago, have carbon frames used metal lugs. Why reinvent an inferior method to assemble a frame? Just to be different? It does allow custom sized frames. But at 4400 Pounds, $6400 US dollars, this process does not seem to be a cost savings. The most expensive custom frames on earth go for that price.
Old June 9th 16, 08:22 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Thursday, June 9, 2016 at 2:15:11 PM UTC-5, wrote:
Not since the days of Vitus and Alan frames, decades ago, have carbon frames used metal lugs.

And Giant frames too. I have three friends with Giant frames with carbon tubes and aluminum lugs. Late 80s or early 90s vintage.
Old June 10th 16, 04:00 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_6_]

On Thu, 09 Jun 2016 12:45:00 -0500, AMuzi wrote:

http://www.bikerumor.com/2016/06/07/...link-shredder/

I would enjoys metallurgist's comments on crystal structure
and strength/weight on those Ti printed joints compared to
welded joints with cold formed Ti tube.

I'm certainly not a metallurgist but I suspect that the lugs are
essentially sintered, and sintering is a variable process and depends
largely on the material being used. My guess is that the lugs are at
least as strong as the tubes.

But, as a confirmed cynic, I might add that it appears that using lugs
is simply a cheaper way to build frames of various dimensions in small
quantities. While "carbon" frames can be built by cutting and mitering
the tubes and then wrapping each joint with cloth and epoxy.
Essentially like a steel frame with wrapping and gluing substituted
for brazing, although it does take longer to "fair" the wrapped and
epoxied joints.

The commercial method of fame building is normally to build molds for
each size frame and then by allowing cloth overlap in the molds create
what might be called a monolithic frame. But of course a number of
molds in various sizes is results in rather expensive start up costs.

And it might be that "genuine titanium lugs" probably add a whole
bunch to the "gee-whiz" factor and undoubtedly are justification for a
higher price than a grotty old black frame.
--
cheers,

John B.

Old June 10th 16, 04:32 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_2_]

On Thursday, June 9, 2016 at 1:45:00 PM UTC-4, AMuzi wrote:
http://www.bikerumor.com/2016/06/07/...link-shredder/

I would enjoys metallurgist's comments on crystal structure
and strength/weight on those Ti printed joints compared to
welded joints with cold formed Ti tube.

Here you go:
http://cdn.intechopen.com/pdfs-wm/47735.pdf

Scanning the article briefly, it sounds like it's strong enough.

But it's not as easy as it sounds:
http://pencerw.com/feed/2015/3/15/3d...-broken-dreams

- Frank Krygowski