Can I store my bike like this?

Old May 10th 14, 05:34 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Bob Newman[_2_]

Default Can I store my bike like this?

My bikes are taking up too much room in my house and I have no garage. Would it be okay to store them in a non-heated or air conditioned shed in the back yard? I have several bikes (both steel & aluminum - no carbon fiber). I live in Gainesville, Florida so it will be pretty hot and muggy in the summer time. Opinions please.

Thanks in advance... Bob
Old May 10th 14, 06:40 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 5/10/2014 11:34 AM, Bob Newman wrote:
My bikes are taking up too much room in my house and I have no garage. Would it be okay to store them in a non-heated or air conditioned shed in the back yard? I have several bikes (both steel & aluminum - no carbon fiber). I live in Gainesville, Florida so it will be pretty hot and muggy in the summer time. Opinions please.

Thanks in advance... Bob

Walk in that shed and look for steel things. Are they
rusted? Unless it's vented to let moisture out you'll have
troubles.

You can remove the front wheel and store a road bike rear
wheel up sitting on its fork tips and brake levers in a
closet. Throw a plastic bag over it and it can sit right
amidst hanging clothes.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old May 10th 14, 08:22 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Bob Newman[_2_]

On Saturday, May 10, 2014 1:40:51 PM UTC-4, AMuzi wrote:
[...]

The shed has not been built yet. Chances are there will be no metal in it's construction. Two of the bikes I use several times a week so I want them easily accessible.

Bob
Old May 10th 14, 08:37 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Mike Causer[_3_]

On Sat, 10 May 2014 12:22:28 -0700 (PDT)
Bob Newman wrote:

The shed has not been built yet. Chances are there will be no metal
in it's construction. Two of the bikes I use several times a week so
I want them easily accessible.

If you're using them that frequently then I think they'll be fine in any
storage that keeps the bird-crap off them.

It's non-use that causes problems. If you have a bike that only gets
used once a year then I would get it under a cotton cover (not
plastic!), hang it up to take the weight off the tyres (sorry, tires),
and turn the wheels, cranks and handlebars around each month to stop the
bearings sitting the same place. If it has dynamo lighting then expect
problems with the connections corroding.

Mike

Old May 10th 14, 08:38 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 5/10/2014 2:22 PM, Bob Newman wrote:
[...]

Good practice is to ensure venting lest moisture accumulates
and rots the roof.

http://www.secrets-of-shed-building....ng-a-shed.html

Old May 11th 14, 02:53 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
SMS

On 5/10/2014 9:34 AM, Bob Newman wrote:
My bikes are taking up too much room in my house and I have no garage. Would it be okay to store them in a non-heated or air conditioned shed in the back yard? I have several bikes (both steel & aluminum - no carbon fiber). I live in Gainesville, Florida so it will be pretty hot and muggy in the summer time. Opinions please.

Thanks in advance... Bob

When I lived in Gainesville, with no garage, I carried my bike up three
flights of stairs and dtored it in my dorm room.

Put a solar powered dehumidifier in the shed. Or use the rock salt and
bucket method.

1. Buy two 5 gallon orange buckets from Home Depot.
2. In one of them, drill 1/8" holes around the perimeter of the bottom.
3. Fill the one with the holes with rock salt
4. Place the one with holes inside the one with no holes
5. In the bottom one, put in a PVC connection near the bottom and run a
piece of 1/2" PVC through a hole in the wall or floor of the shed for
the water to drain out.

You could put several of these around the shed. Maybe just put a hole in
the bottom of the outer bucket and a hole in the floor of the shed, for
draining. The article below says you can use a fan to direct air toward
the buckets, so some small solar powered fans might be a good idea, i.e.
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B008EPDRTY.

http://web.archive.org/web/20120201005754/http://www.cheapdehumidifiersite.com/make-your-own-cheap-dehumidifier

Old May 12th 14, 01:28 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.

On Sun, 11 May 2014 10:35:44 -0700 (PDT), Bob Newman
wrote:

[...]

Amazing! Historically bicycles have been stored, on the lawn, in the
garage, in the cellar, on the front porch and various other exotic
locations.

Now we need to build climate controlled facilities for them?

--
Cheers,

John B.
(invalid to gmail)
Old May 13th 14, 10:25 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
ian field

wrote:

[...]

My spare bicycle is stored uncovered on the back yard.

Most of the cables will need replacing, but other than that nothing serious.

The sprockets are showing rust, but the previous owner left enough grease on
the chain, it should be OK.

The real killer is roads gritted with salt in winter - especially with
aluminium frames and electrolysis with any steel attachments.

Need Online Used Bike Store John Schutkeker General 16 January 10th 08 01:35 PM
Anyone used UK Bike Store? Tony Raven[_2_] UK 4 April 11th 07 01:20 PM
Best bike store in Canada? [email protected] General 0 April 3rd 06 04:29 PM
Used bike parts store? BC Techniques 6 September 23rd 05 01:32 AM
Best bike store in London? Ole Mikkelsen UK 11 March 22nd 04 10:09 PM