Spoke tension meter

Old June 11th 05, 06:35 PM

Default Spoke tension meter

Can't we just use the term: "Tensiometer"?
It sounds so hokey with all these pseudonyms.

Old June 11th 05, 08:15 PM
Ken

wrote in message
Can't we just use the term: "Tensiometer"?
It sounds so hokey with all these pseudonyms.

Well I would have used this term, but i was not sure it was a the right
term, or something someone had made up.

Ken

Old June 11th 05, 10:56 PM

Ken Marcet writes:

Can't we just use the term: "Tensiometer"?
It sounds so hokey with all these pseudonyms.

Well I would have used this term, but i was not sure it was a the
right term, or something someone had made up.

Try:

http://www.m-w.com/

Old June 12th 05, 06:44 PM
Sheldon Brown

Quoth Peter Chisholm:

Gee, so do I. Tone to compare tension is something all of us old fart
wheelbuilders use. But I also use a DT dial tensionometer to check
actual tension to see if I am where I want to be. I think I could
probably tell also but when building 5-6 wheels in one day, hands
getting tired, different rims, the tensionometer is a good thing.

But the concept of plucking a spoke and then truing a wheel cuz it's a
few notes too low, that just makes me giggle, but I don't play anything
but the truing stand.

I don't think you give yourself enough credit. If somebody brought you
a wheel and the spokes plunked "a few notes too low" I'm sure you could
tell that it was undertensioned without needing to throw a tensiometer
on it.

I don't understand why you keep bringing up the issue of whether
somebody knows how to play a musical instrument. This has _nothing_ to
do with the issue.

Sheldon "Not Tone Deaf" Brown
| If you haven’t yet discovered the novels |
| of Neal Stephenson, don’t wait! |
| Start with Snow Crash or Quicksilver |
Phone 617-244-9772 FAX 617-244-1041
http://harriscyclery.com
Hard-to-find parts shipped Worldwide

Old June 12th 05, 07:11 PM

On Sun, 12 Jun 2005 13:44:49 -0400, Sheldon Brown
wrote:

Quoth Peter Chisholm:

[snip]
But the concept of plucking a spoke and then truing a wheel cuz it's a
few notes too low, that just makes me giggle, but I don't play anything
but the truing stand.

I don't think you give yourself enough credit. If somebody brought you
a wheel and the spokes plunked "a few notes too low" I'm sure you could
tell that it was undertensioned without needing to throw a tensiometer
on it.

I don't understand why you keep bringing up the issue of whether
somebody knows how to play a musical instrument. This has _nothing_ to
do with the issue.

Sheldon "Not Tone Deaf" Brown

Dear Sheldon,

True, but I still enjoy a fantasy in which Harpo Brown
plucks a delightful Gilbert and Sullivan tune on a
mis-tensioned 36-string 700c-sharp wheel.

(Or a loom. Or a piano.)

Carl Fogel
Old June 12th 05, 07:11 PM
Ken

"Sheldon Brown" wrote in message
[...]

I have noticed a lot of people posting about the "tone" that a spoke makes
when plucked. But myself being tone def, this seems like a very unlikely
method I would be able to use. I am thinking that if I am ever to "build" my
own wheels I will invest in a tensionometer.

Ken

Spoke Tension Earl Bollinger General 3 October 4th 05 10:48 AM
Wheelbuilding issues Nate Knutson Techniques 13 May 9th 04 03:29 PM
Park spoke tension meter??? Zilla Mountain Biking 2 April 20th 04 02:14 AM
(Un)even spoke tension Ted Bennett Techniques 2 July 17th 03 12:33 PM