building/repairing

Old May 4th 04, 04:05 PM
digigal1

Default building/repairing

Do most riders here know how to build their own unis from components, or
even just how to repair them? There are so many threads about doing
these things, but I'm wondering if there are a lot of people who let
their LBS do everything for them, and they are the ones who don't post
about it.

Also, if you do know how, how did that start? Is it a self-training
kind of thing?

--
digigal1 - 3 revs on carpet!

Omni for Uni and Uni for Omni!
digigal1's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/5848

Old May 4th 04, 04:12 PM
one wheeled stallion

How do you mean? Building/repairing wheels etc? Or making custom things
or buying standard parts to make a unicyle?

--
one wheeled stallion - Guerilla Unicyclist

OWS

"It's all in the mind, not the behind" -Mikefule
one wheeled stallion's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4832

Old May 4th 04, 04:29 PM
theamazingmolio

A unicycle's a pretty simple piece of equipment mechanically. With a
10mm spanner, a 15mm socket (I think!), and a couple of tyre levers, I
could completely dismantle mine easily. There isn't really any work I
would need to get anyone else to do for me, when building or repairing a
unicycle, except for completely rebuilding a wheel, I can replace a
couple of spokes easily enough, but I don't think I'd even have the
confidence, let alone the skill, to build a wheel from scratch.

I think pretty much anyone could maintain their unicycle for themselves,
but if there are friendly people at their LBS, and they can afford it,
it's some find it easier to get someone else to do it.

I, however don't have the money, and if I did I'd resent giving it to
someone else for something I know I could do myself just as well.

I've always enjoyed that sort of thing, though not as much as riding it,
and at the moment I own 2 unicycles, 2 1/2 bicycles, and 2 motorbikes,
and all the work on them gets done by me.

My dad's an engineer by trade, and our garage is pretty much full of all
the tools and things that you could need, so I didn't have much chance
of not knowing these things

The other thing, of course, is that if your unicycle comes in a box from
unicycle.com or somewhere like that, you have to put it all together
yourself, the only real difference with buuilding a custome unicycle is
that you get to choose all the components

--
theamazingmolio - A Unicylist, a juggler, and a prat

Luke Duller )
Never trust anything you read on the internet
theamazingmolio's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/5931

Old May 4th 04, 04:38 PM
digigal1

Right, that's what I meant, putting it together from components. Not
necessarily building wheels, but knowing what goes together and what
wouldn't if making a custom, and taking things apart to grease them and
tightening stuff up or whatever.

My uni came with the cranks attached and the seat on the post, so all I
had to do was tighten the seat clamp and put the pedals on.

Old May 4th 04, 05:09 PM
one wheeled stallion

Pretty much the same as theamazingmolio, can do all the essential stuff
to my unis, some with splined pinch-bolt cranks, some with regular
splines, cotterless etc. That's about as complex as it gets really. I've
never tried replacing a spoke tho, as I've never had to. I'd give it a
go if I had to as there's always folks on here with years of uni and
bike experience on hand to give advice. Obviously I can't build wheels.

My girlfriends dad is super good at hands-on stuff, does motorbikes a
lot and is always willing to help. He also has friends in upholstery and
metal working etc so I can usually find the advice I'm looking for. I
guess I get a lot of general advice from him about stuff but just
experiment and experience for specific uniycle things. This forum is
great for that too.

theamazingmolio is right, I find building them up to be a lot of fun and
is a big part of the appeal and enjoyment of unicycles.