27.2/26.8 mm seatpost in a 27.0 mm tube??

Old July 29th 05, 12:28 PM
Earthstick

Default 27.2/26.8 mm seatpost in a 27.0 mm tube??

My Marin has a 27.0 mm seat tube but these seems to be going obsolete
now and the closest seat posts I see are 27.2 mm or 26.8mm. Is it
possible to squeeze one in? Or get a 26.8 mm and wrap tape around the
contact area?

Ideally I would like a carbon post to reduce road vibrations but from
reading about them they are dodgy anyway so would this be very unwise?
Maybe a titanium post would damp vibrations and remain strong??

Richard

Old July 29th 05, 01:13 PM
Dave Thompson

Earthstick wrote:
My Marin has a 27.0 mm seat tube but these seems to be going obsolete
now and the closest seat posts I see are 27.2 mm or 26.8mm. Is it
possible to squeeze one in? Or get a 26.8 mm and wrap tape around the
contact area?

Ideally I would like a carbon post to reduce road vibrations but from
reading about them they are dodgy anyway so would this be very unwise?
Maybe a titanium post would damp vibrations and remain strong??

Richard

Neither one of your ideas is good. Forcing a larger post into your seat tube
would damage your bike. Wrapping tape around a smaller post would work
poorly and only for a short time at best.

The best thing to do would be to buy a post of the correct size. Thomson
makes one of the better seat posts and in the size you need. The sdcond best
thing would be to buy a smaller diameter seat post, say a 25.4 and buy a 1.6
shim to fit your 27.0 seat tube.

Old July 29th 05, 01:56 PM
Chris Nelson

Thomson still makes a 27.0, and will likely outlast your frame. Awesome
seat post.

FWIW, I fit a 30.9 seat post into my 30.8 seat tube and she slides up
and down real easy when loose.

The thing to worry about most is a stuck seatpost. Always use grease.
Do not wrap tape around the post. Always use grease. Stay away from
Titanium as they tend to seize more frequently. Always use grease.
Carbon is not bad because it will not seize, but will probably not
dampen the ride except in your mind. Did I mention to use grease?

Chris

Old July 29th 05, 02:04 PM
Qui si parla Campagnolo

Earthstick wrote:
My Marin has a 27.0 mm seat tube but these seems to be going obsolete
now and the closest seat posts I see are 27.2 mm or 26.8mm. Is it
possible to squeeze one in? Or get a 26.8 mm and wrap tape around the
contact area?

Ideally I would like a carbon post to reduce road vibrations but from
reading about them they are dodgy anyway so would this be very unwise?
Maybe a titanium post would damp vibrations and remain strong??

Richard

First, don't expect any seatpost of any material to dampen your ride
vibration, use wider tires. Second don't squeeze an off sized SP into
the frame. Get a good LBS to ream the 27mm to 27.2mm, then use any
27.2mm seatpost.

Old July 30th 05, 05:21 AM
A Muzi

Earthstick wrote:

My Marin has a 27.0 mm seat tube but these seems to be going obsolete
now and the closest seat posts I see are 27.2 mm or 26.8mm. Is it
possible to squeeze one in? Or get a 26.8 mm and wrap tape around the
contact area?

Ideally I would like a carbon post to reduce road vibrations but from
reading about them they are dodgy anyway so would this be very unwise?
Maybe a titanium post would damp vibrations and remain strong??

No difference this rider can feel. Whatever you do, use a
27.0 or a smaller post with a metal liner cut to 27.0*.
Seatlugs and frames really do fail with the wrong size post.

[*U.S.E. for example has a 25.0 post with a 27.0 sleeve]
--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org
Old July 31st 05, 06:30 AM
maxo

On Fri, 29 Jul 2005 04:28:27 -0700, Earthstick wrote:

Or get a 26.8 mm and wrap tape around the contact area?

tape?

Don't be a slob.

Get a can of beer. Drink. Cut aluminum square from can, wrap around
and epoxy to post low enough so it won't be seen, or if it is seen keep
the beer logo towards the post.

Shimtastic.

Old August 2nd 05, 01:34 AM
Phil, Squid-in-Training

The epoxy would need to be distributed reeeal evenly or else it won't
be uniform, causing pressure points in the seat tube. Probably
wouldn't do much since the seat tube doesn't see much stress, but
still.

Shims @ the LBS are cheap!

Phil, Squid-in-Training

Old August 2nd 05, 01:42 AM
Phil, Squid-in-Training

" Carbon is not bad because it will not seize, but will probably not
dampen the ride except in your mind."

Maybe a rain jacket for the dampened ride?

Phil, Squid-in-Training