Help With Spinning

Old July 4th 05, 09:59 PM
KlownLife

Default Help With Spinning

I am unsure on how to perform a spin. If you have any details on how to
help or a Video, which would be preferred, please help.

Much Appreciated,
Jas'o

--
KlownLife - The Bad Boy Of Uni

"Whoever Said The Darkside Was Dead?"
KlownLife's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/5196

Old July 4th 05, 10:00 PM
James_Potter

unicyclist.org has videos of every freestyle skill like ever, including
spins. I think unicycle.2ya.com has a little bit about 'em too....and
als http://marsht.tripod.com

--
James_Potter - betcha can't stick it!

Old July 4th 05, 10:10 PM
flyer

I learned to spin by trying to satisfy the level 4 requirement for a 360
degree turn. Practice turning in really tight circles, tight enough that
when you're on a 20" with 127's, your crank will hit the ground due to
lean. Then turn even tighter!

If you manage to get your circle circumference small enough, you will
move your centre of gravity, and be able to turn with much less lean.
When you hit the spin, you'll know it. If you pedal too fast, you'll fly
off! The other sites listed in the post above me are also a good place
to look. Good luck with spins, they're probably one of the most fun
things I'm able to do yet

Also, as a side note, high tire pressure will help with this. The tires
on my unis are (over)inflated to 80psi, and the gain in control over 60
is amazing, and makes spins very easy to get into, even from a
standstill. Pirouettes also become easier to to as well.

Good luck!

-Dave

--
flyer - Level 4 Unicyclist
flyer's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/9894

Old July 4th 05, 11:42 PM
Diznei

flyer
I learned to spin by trying to satisfy the level 4 requirement for a
360 degree turn. Practice turning in really tight circles, tight
enough that when you're on a 20" with 127's, your crank will hit the
ground due to lean. Then turn even tighter!

That has to be the best description for a spin that I've heard so far.
Thanks for the advice!

--
Diznei - University of Illinois Unicycler

john_childs
A good sticker slogan for KOXX would be "Ride hard, Ride KOXX".

Diznei's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/8959

Old July 5th 05, 12:34 AM
KlownLife

so what exactly is the difference between a spin and a pirouette???

Jas'o

Old July 5th 05, 12:44 AM
jsm

In a spin, the rider (the rider's upper body at least) spins on an axis
while the lower body and unicycle ride in a tight circle. In a
pirouette, the rider and unicycle spin on an axis. A spin can be
maintained indefinitely, but a pirouette rarely lasts more than about
four revolutions. The pirouette is far more difficult.

--
jsm - Sunset Side Ride

Help edit the Unicyclopedia!
http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/The_Unicyclopedia
jsm's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/6911

Old July 5th 05, 02:17 AM
unign

So the level 4 360 degree turn is a super tight turn, not a spin at a
total stand still? And I am having trouble spinning but can pirouette

--
unign
unign's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/10305

Old July 5th 05, 02:52 AM
skate4flip

I have been working on the level 4 360 degree turn too. Are you supposed
to do a action-reaction turn or one revolution (360) of a spin? Which is
easier? When i ever i try either i fall off. i have a 20" wheel with
150mm cranks i think.

--
skate4flip - Almost level 4
skate4flip's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/10198

Old July 5th 05, 02:53 AM
jsm

The 360 degree turn on level four requires you to ride into a circle one
meter in diameter, turn all the way around, and ride out the other side.
It's just a really tight turn. Action-reaction and leaning turns are
both acceptable. I don't believe anyone can pirouette, but not spin,
since the pirouette is a much more difficult extension of the spin. To
do a pirouette, you do a really tight, fast spin, then stop the wheel
and pull your arms in so that you and the unicycle spin several times on
an axis. (In theory; currently I rarely get much beyond one revolution
before losing balance or momentum.)

Old July 5th 05, 02:55 AM
skate4flip

So a action-reaction turn in a circle is one revolution of a pirouette?

Spinning Bikes Garry Jones Techniques 0 January 24th 05 05:29 PM
Spinning Guide? Roger Zoul General 22 July 26th 04 06:00 AM
Spinning Shoes? What are they? HardwareLust Techniques 2 July 11th 04 02:37 PM
Tried spinning: but why do I bounce? Sarennah UK 76 April 1st 04 09:35 PM
Spinning Tom Blum Recumbent Biking 2 July 19th 03 09:21 PM