Why does my CHAIN....

Old April 26th 08, 03:13 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
TBerk

Default Why does my CHAIN....

1) Jump off the front gear when I pedal backwards?

2) yank on the rear derailer sometimes making it snap backwards from
time to time?

Thanks in advance,
TBerk
Old April 26th 08, 04:08 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
clare at snyder dot ontario dot canada

On Fri, 25 Apr 2008 19:13:02 -0700 (PDT), TBerk
wrote:

1) Jump off the front gear when I pedal backwards?

2) yank on the rear derailer sometimes making it snap backwards from
time to time?

Thanks in advance,
TBerk

Does it by chance need cleaning and lubricating? A stiff chain WILL do
that.
Old April 26th 08, 12:27 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
catzz66

TBerk wrote:

1) Jump off the front gear when I pedal backwards?

2) yank on the rear derailer sometimes making it snap backwards from
time to time?

Thanks in advance,
TBerk

When was the last time you cleaned and lubed your chain?
Old April 26th 08, 05:29 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
TBerk

On Apr 26, 4:27 am, catzz66 wrote:
TBerk wrote:

1) Jump off the front gear when I pedal backwards?

2) yank on the rear derailer sometimes making it snap backwards from
time to time?

Thanks in advance,
TBerk

When was the last time you cleaned and lubed your chain?

Good point. I haven't.

What I _did_ do recently was take apart the rear dérailleur gears and
repack them with clean bearing grease. (I found some grass stems
wrapped up in there.)

I'll try the clean chain, lube inside of links, wipe down out side of
chain proceedure today and report back.

TBerk