commuting... bike shorts ... underwear - learning experience.

Old February 25th 05, 02:34 AM
RonSonic

On 24 Feb 2005 09:38:03 -0800, "Velo Psycho" wrote:

RonSonic wrote:
On 24 Feb 2005 04:17:01 -0800, "Velo Psycho"

wrote:

David L. Johnson wrote:

I guess I wouldn't understand, since I never use the stuff myself,
but why
is it necessary to use chamois buttr [sic] for a 12-mile commute?

The same reason a hot shower is superior to a lukewarm shower. It
feeeeeeels better! You've GOTTA try it.

A commute is not a race. For 12 miles I can see the shorts, since
you'll
want to change anyway, but you don't need to go the whole 9 yards.

True, but 12 miles in the AM, 12 in the PM (often extended if I'm
feeling good), turns into some nice training riding.

When I started riding again, about 10 years ago, and did a
hillclimb-commute, I would change into shorts for the long uphill
home.
But that gets tiresome. These days I certainly don't bother with
shorts
for the commute, and my standard commuter even has platform pedals

so
don't have to bother with cycling shoes. Now, my commute is

short,
but I
still think you are over-doing it.

You can never over-do it! Go slather your choad some morning before
your commute -- you'll NEVER go back to dry riding again.

Ya know, in a world such as we live in there's hardly any reason to

criticize
you for your particular enjoyments, however strange they may seem to

us. Except,
(and I suppose you sensed that coming) for the apparent added

enjoyment you get
from telling us about it.

See back in the old days when life was good and people went through

their days
with joy and hope for the future, you were smearing your whatever

with whatever
and all remained well, for us and your whatever'd whatever. But that

wasn't good
enough for you and you had to post about your, uh, practice. Worse,

you posted
about it in the context of your undergarmentless suit wearing with

your whatever
- coated whatevers bestaining your trousers.

I must retaliate:

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmp...0802230014&e=7

Ron

Is it still voluntary to read posts on RBT?

Actually, it is forbidden but being scofflaws we do so anyway.

Ron

Old February 25th 05, 03:29 AM
firewolf65

I'm at a loss as to why all the chamois and the butter, and creams and
padding. I have been riding on and off over the years and have gotten back
it to it seriously, and am back up to 40 miles at a clip. I never liked the
padded riding short, and I never used the butters and creams, and have no
problem. I prefer the saddles without all the gel and padding. For 12
miles I'm not sure if I would even worry about the shorts.

Lighten up and just ride the damn bike and forget about the extra details.
"Andy Morris" wrote in message
Velo Psycho wrote:
So here I am... slathered in chamois butter... panicked. Do I wear my
bibs all day long, under my suit? Or do I go commando, and chamois
buttr my pants?

How much do you put on?

--
Andy Morris

AndyAtJinkasDotFreeserve.Co.UK

Love this:

Old February 25th 05, 10:42 PM
LioNiNoiL_a t_Y a h 0 0_d 0 t_c 0 m

http://www.worldnakedbikeride.org/

Old February 26th 05, 06:07 PM
Velo Psycho

firewolf65 wrote:
I'm at a loss as to why all the chamois and the butter, and creams

and
padding. I have been riding on and off over the years and have

gotten back
it to it seriously, and am back up to 40 miles at a clip. I never

liked the
padded riding short, and I never used the butters and creams, and

have no
problem. I prefer the saddles without all the gel and padding. For

12
miles I'm not sure if I would even worry about the shorts.

Lighten up and just ride the damn bike and forget about the extra

details.

Theoretically, you don't even need the bike. Right? You could walk.

You don't need to get laid either... but it feels good.

You don't need to drink beer... it tastes good.

You don't need chamois butter, but man... your balsac will LOVE you for
it.

Old February 26th 05, 11:28 PM
huffyrider

"Velo Psycho" wrote in message
oups.com...

firewolf65 wrote:
[...]

Got in 60+ this morning. Forgot the under-carriage body lube. It would
certainly have been more enjoyable with something...especially during the
post-ride shower.
hr

Old February 27th 05, 04:09 AM
Tim McNamara

"huffyrider" writes:

"Velo Psycho" wrote:

firewolf65 wrote:

I'm at a loss as to why all the chamois and the butter, and creams
and padding.

You don't need chamois butter, but man... your balsac will LOVE you
for it.

Got in 60+ this morning. Forgot the under-carriage body lube. It
would certainly have been more enjoyable with something...especially
during the post-ride shower.

Hmmm. I've been riding bike for about 40 years. I didn't even have
cycling shorts until 1983 or so, I just rode in whatever I was wearing
which was usually skivvies and jeans or cutoffs. I don't recall
having much trouble with saddle sores or such, occasionally some
chafing. I've had more trouble with this since the advent of Lycra
shorts, thanks to their lack of breathability and thus the ability to
turn one's chamois pad into a bacterial culture medium. On the other
hand, the lack of seams and the benefits of a little padding are nice,
and wool shorts unfortunately lack adequate *ahem* support.

I use some kind of lube on longer rides. I don't bother with it for
rides up to about 50 miles or so. Longer rides a little lubrication
is helpful. I find that Noxcema works as well as any of the
high-priced "chamois butt'r" preparations, and washes out of the
chamois better. I used to use petroleum jelly and then Unpetroleum,
but both caused the chamoises to deteriorate quickly. I've tried
udder balm, am not a fan despite the near-mythical qualities found by
others. You don't want anything with lanolin, IMHO, because you don't
want the skin to be softened.
Old February 27th 05, 02:55 PM
RonSonic

On Sat, 26 Feb 2005 22:09:31 -0600, Tim McNamara wrote:

"huffyrider" writes:

"Velo Psycho" wrote:

firewolf65 wrote:

[...]

Noxcema used to be standard with me back in the days of natural chamois, now
it's just for extra long miles or a bit of soreness.

Ron

Bike rack [email protected] General 9 April 22nd 05 02:50 AM
Still Looking for a bike [email protected] UK 19 September 5th 04 10:25 AM
How old were you when you got your first really nice bike? Brink General 43 November 13th 03 10:49 AM
Considering a Road bike for commuting... good idea? Mike Beauchamp General 116 August 18th 03 11:44 PM
Considering a Road bike for commuting... good idea? Mike Beauchamp Techniques 95 August 18th 03 11:44 PM