Can someone help with Cinelli?

Old January 17th 06, 04:52 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default Can someone help with Cinelli?

Hello all

New to this group, I could use help identifying my Cinelli I bought from a
neighbor a few years ago. There is nothing on the bike to identify a model
designation. I understand it may be considered "vintage", my neighbor
purchased it new in the early to mid 80s. The serial number is 84820 (1984
model??). It looks similar to the supercorsa at cinelli's website with the
lugged Columbus frame, it has the full Dura Ace package. I emailed the folks
at the website but they were completely unhelpful. Any information would be
greatly appreciated

Thanks!

Old January 17th 06, 02:10 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

M Santos wrote:
Hello all

New to this group, I could use help identifying my Cinelli I bought from a
neighbor a few years ago. There is nothing on the bike to identify a model
designation. I understand it may be considered "vintage", my neighbor
purchased it new in the early to mid 80s. The serial number is 84820 (1984
model??). It looks similar to the supercorsa at cinelli's website with the
lugged Columbus frame, it has the full Dura Ace package. I emailed the folks
at the website but they were completely unhelpful. Any information would be
greatly appreciated

Thanks!

Picture?

But Cinelli lugged steel bicycles are a real find in spite of having DA
on it.

Old January 18th 06, 02:06 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

You don't want to post images in a non-binary newsgroup, so best thing is to
upload them to one of your web sites (you DO have one, don't you?) and
provide the link. The Columbus sticker on the seat tube (if it's still
there) will also tell you something about the frame material (SL perhaps?).

Were they even making Dura Ace in '84? I remember meeting a guy on a ride
around '86 or '87 who had a Dura Ace equipped bike with that new-fangled
"index shifting". He let me ride it and I was amazed... I went back to the
local bike shop and told my buddies about these amazing components and how
much better it was than the Campy Super Record stuff we were riding...
everybody just shrugged and said their Super Record stuff worked just fine
and there was no reason to switch....

Old January 18th 06, 02:09 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

"Brian Phillips" wrote in message
You don't want to post images in a non-binary newsgroup, so best thing is

upload them to one of your web sites (you DO have one, don't you?)

Regrettably, I do not

and
provide the link. The Columbus sticker on the seat tube (if it's still
there) will also tell you something about the frame material (SL

perhaps?).

Does SLX mean anything to you?

Were they even making Dura Ace in '84?

I'm just guessing it's from '84 because of the first 2 positions in the
serial number. I could be way off.

Again, thanks for any info you can give.

Old January 18th 06, 03:29 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Tue, 17 Jan 2006 18:06:48 -0800, "Brian Phillips"
wrote:

Were they even making Dura Ace in '84?

Yes.

JT

****************************
Remove "remove" to reply
Visit http://www.jt10000.com
****************************
Old January 18th 06, 03:42 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Qui si parla Campagnolo aka Peter Chisholm wrote:
M Santos wrote:
Hello all

New to this group, I could use help identifying my Cinelli I bought from a
neighbor a few years ago. There is nothing on the bike to identify a model
designation. I understand it may be considered "vintage", my neighbor
purchased it new in the early to mid 80s. The serial number is 84820 (1984
model??). It looks similar to the supercorsa at cinelli's website with the
lugged Columbus frame, it has the full Dura Ace package. I emailed the folks
at the website but they were completely unhelpful. Any information would be
greatly appreciated

Thanks!

Picture?

But Cinelli lugged steel bicycles are a real find in spite of having DA
on it.

Too bad this bike is not a high quality lugged steel Japanese made
frame that would better complement the quality Shimano Dura-Ace
components.

--
Tom Sherman - Fox River Valley

Old January 18th 06, 03:46 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Brian Phillips wrote:
Were they even making Dura Ace in '84?...

The use of the Dura-Ace name for Shimano's top component line was over
a decade old in 1984.

See
http://dura-ace.shimano.com/publish/content/duraace/en/home/history.html.

--
Tom Sherman - Fox River Valley

Old January 18th 06, 04:33 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Wed, 18 Jan 2006 03:41:45 +0000, dtmeister wrote:

Here are links to some pictures of this bike that were emailed to me.

http://dt.c47.org/MVC-013F.JPG
http://dt.c47.org/MVC-014F.JPG
http://dt.c47.org/MVC-016F.JPG
http://dt.c47.org/MVC-020F.JPG

Very nice bike. Classic Cinelli. I wonder about the components, though.
Could they possibly be original? Hard to imagine a Cinelli coming with
Shimano components.

Oh, and I hope you don't need to keep the stem and seatpost that far
exposed. The bike looks like it is too small for the rider, especially
with the stem being that far up.

--

David L. Johnson

__o | Some people used to claim that, if enough monkeys sat in front
_`\(,_ | of enough typewriters and typed long enough, eventually one of
(_)/ (_) | them would reproduce the collected works of Shakespeare. The
internet has proven this not to be the case.

Old January 18th 06, 05:43 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

M Santos wrote:

Does SLX mean anything to you?

If I remember right, SLX was SL that had spiral
ribbing on the inside to make it stiffer.

Larry Coon
University of California