Good road bike

Old January 19th 06, 11:28 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default Good road bike

On Thu, 19 Jan 2006 20:10:58 GMT, Michael Press wrote:

Another cause of flats is riding over debris on the
roadway. The solution is not to ride over debris on the
roadway. The difficulty with this solution is the constant
attention required to scout the roadway for debris. One
moments inattention and you are rolling over junk. Another
difficulty is that on a wet road, glass is invisible. When
I have inadvertently ridden over glass or something I will
stop and check the tire treads for imbedded material.

I use Mr. Tuffies. They work really well. I can ride over all sorts
of junk on the road and ignore it. The only stuff I have to pay
attention to is stuff large enough to present, perhaps, a bike handing
issue, or that would be gross to get on the bike (like dead flesh).

Glass is a non issue with them.

They slow the bike down a little but in many situations they're worth
it. Awesome product.

JT

****************************
Remove "remove" to reply
Visit http://www.jt10000.com
****************************
Old January 19th 06, 11:41 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

"Michael Press" wrote in message
In article
Another cause of flats is riding over debris on the
roadway. The solution is not to ride over debris on the
roadway. The difficulty with this solution is the constant
attention required to scout the roadway for debris. One
moments inattention and you are rolling over junk. Another
difficulty is that on a wet road, glass is invisible. When
I have inadvertently ridden over glass or something I will
stop and check the tire treads for imbedded material.

The other difficulty with constant attention I've found is these new road
surfaces made with recycled glass. All of a sudden the whole road is
glistening with the promise of punctures, and it's only there to play with
your head...

Riding in an Urban environment, you can fully justify getting Kevlar belted
tyres, when I rode them in London heavily I got very few (1 per year)
punctures.

Old January 20th 06, 02:54 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Michael Press wrote:
In article
.com,
"Roy Zipris" wrote:

Before your start sliming tires, er, tyres, read up a bit about the
different ways in which flats occur. It may be that your friend is,
inadvertently, the cause of his flat problems, perhaps without even
knowing it. When he flats, does he check the inside of the tire for the
cause and remove it? Does he pinch flat (2 small holes in the tube
caused when the tire is underinflated and you hit something)? A problem
at a nipple hole or with the rim tape? Does he install new tubes
properly? Etc., etc. In other words, slime might not be necessary.
Regards, Roy Zipris

Another cause of flats is riding over debris on the
roadway. The solution is not to ride over debris on the
roadway. The difficulty with this solution is the constant
attention required to scout the roadway for debris. One
moments inattention and you are rolling over junk....

Motor pace behind one of these to avoid flats:
http://www.elginsweeper.com/aircubLX/index.asp.

--
Tom Sherman - Fox River Valley

Old January 20th 06, 04:43 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Roy Zipris wrote:

Before your start sliming tires, er, tyres, read up a bit about the
different ways in which flats occur. It may be that your friend is,
inadvertently, the cause of his flat problems, perhaps without even
knowing it. When he flats, does he check the inside of the tire for the
cause and remove it? Does he pinch flat (2 small holes in the tube
caused when the tire is underinflated and you hit something)? A problem
at a nipple hole or with the rim tape? Does he install new tubes
properly? Etc., etc. In other words, slime might not be necessary.
Regards, Roy Zipris

Nice thorough paragraph, Roy.

And consider the software, too. The guys who always ride at
the curb, where debris is plentiful, have more punctures.

Sometimes moving your commute route over a street or two can
drop the incidence dramatically.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org