Garmin Edge 305

Old May 30th 06, 10:12 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

Default Garmin Edge 305

Anybody got / use one ...

1. How "waterproof" are they?

Cheers

Old May 30th 06, 11:06 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

Anybody got / use one ...

Had one about a month - very pleased with it - obviously is more of a
training tool than for navigation but suits my needs i.e. speed display,
recording routes, virtual racing etc. without having to put anything else on
the bike (have only got the heart rate monitor not cadence)

1. How "waterproof" are they?

I haven't actually submerged it fully in water but the following ride was in
constant heavy rain and it's been OK since
http://trail.motionbased.com/trail/i...pkValue=794410

and it's had plenty of other wet rides in the last couple of weeks and seems
to be fine.

sa

Old May 31st 06, 07:58 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling

Centurian_Ooo'yabass wrote:
Anybody got / use one ...

Just one word of caution, a friend bought one and isn't that happy
because.....

Unlike just about every other GPS on sale for over a decade, the Edge
appears to be unable to give you your current position in British OS grid.
This might be a serious problem if you plan to use the GPS device to relate
your position to a map.

It can give distances to waypoints pre-programmed, but that's not as
flexible if you are off the patch where you usually ride and know the
routes. You can put in waypoints, but only as Long-Lat (which you won't
get from a UK road map...).

( If you doubt the above, please point to place in manual where it can be
done, and I'll tell my friend.).

1. How "waterproof" are they?

Can't answer for the Edge, but the Vista-C is waterproof to the extent of
hours in rain on handlebars of bike, or hours on shoulder in rain whilst
walking.

--
Nigel Cliffe,
Webmaster at http://www.2mm.org.uk/

Old May 31st 06, 10:41 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling

Nigel Cliffe wrote:
Unlike just about every other GPS on sale for over a decade, the Edge
appears to be unable to give you your current position in British OS grid.
This might be a serious problem if you plan to use the GPS device to relate
your position to a map.

I'm pretty sure my Garmin Geko 201 can give location as OS grid
reference. And that's hardly a high-end model either, I'd be surprised
if most others didn't as well.

Anthony
Old May 31st 06, 10:42 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling

Anthony Jones wrote:
Unlike just about every other GPS on sale for over a decade, the Edge
appears to be unable to give you your current position in British OS
grid. This might be a serious problem if you plan to use the GPS
device to relate your position to a map.

I'm pretty sure my Garmin Geko 201 can give location as OS grid
reference. And that's hardly a high-end model either, I'd be surprised
if most others didn't as well.

Sorry, I misread your message and missed the 'unlike'.

Anthony