ok to eat junk food?

Old December 13th 03, 05:52 AM
wle

Default ok to eat junk food?

say you ride, oh, 26 miles a day.

according to some calculations, that would be roughly 1300 calories
needed just to power the bike.

is it ok to eat what would normally be considered junk food,
to get these calories?

assume the daily requirements of vitamins, proteins,
minerals, etc are met by other, decent food. and assume you don;t want or
need to lose any weight.

i mean, don;t the muscles run on sugar? what would be wrong with getting
the extra calories right from sugar?

what about fat?

just wondering,
wle.
Old December 13th 03, 06:24 AM
Jeff

Minimize the junk food.

Eat lots of fruit. Eat lots of vegetables. Eat potatos and whole grains for
carbs. Eat beans and oatmeal for fiber. Eat fish and poultry for protein
unless you are vegetarian. If you are vegetarian, I can't tell you
specifics, but I know many people live long happy lives as vegetarians.

Exercise at least thirty minutes three times per week. Cycling is wonderful
exercise.

I know I'll get flamed, or at least this will become a long tortured thread.
But the more I read about nutrition, the more ideas converge into the simple
advice above.

And I enjoy the occasional bag of Cheetos or Fritos.

om...

Old December 13th 03, 09:22 AM
Q.

"wle" wrote:

snip
is it ok to eat what would normally be considered junk food,

snip

Are you old and decrepit?

A human beings natural lifespan is about 40 years. That's why you start to
fall apart after that and need more attention to stay alive, like an
increasing dependency on drugs.

If you're over 40 and supposed to be dead, then you're on borrowed time and
eating junk food is pushing it.

In all seriousness ... why don't you go get a check up and ask your doctor?
If you are old then it wouldn't surprise me if the doctor found significant
health reasons why you should start watching your diet and avoiding certain
foods.

Junk food is just that ... junk. I can see some very similar parallels to
say, the bikes they sell at Wal Mart. Tastes / looks good but has no
substance, skimps on quality for taste / looks. Cheep because it's mass
produced and mass marketed, and only the bottom line matters. Eating junk
food fills your stomach but that's about it. Riding a Wal Mart bike gets
you from point A to point B, but that's about it.

Well, that's my $.02. If you're old, eat right and ride a decent bike.

.... sorry, the closer we get the Xmas the more misanthropic I feel (c:

C.Q.C.

Old December 13th 03, 01:27 PM
res09c5t

Wouldn't it also depend on speed? As you go faster, air resistance is
higher leading to more calories per mile?

according to some calculations, that would be roughly 1300 calories
needed just to power the bike.

Sounds high. I weigh 210 lbs (oops, 215 thanks to not having been
able to get any exercise for the past month due to various things) and
I estimate 25-30 calories per mile. So I'd estimate 650 to 780
calories, less if you're a 120 pound climber. More if it's 26 miles
uphill.

Old December 13th 03, 01:53 PM
Per Elmsäter

wle wrote:
say you ride, oh, 26 miles a day.

according to some calculations, that would be roughly 1300 calories
needed just to power the bike.

is it ok to eat what would normally be considered junk food,
to get these calories?

assume the daily requirements of vitamins, proteins,
minerals, etc are met by other, decent food. and assume you don;t
want or need to lose any weight.

i mean, don;t the muscles run on sugar? what would be wrong with
getting the extra calories right from sugar?

what about fat?

just wondering,
wle.

The people in my club that do the Randonneur thing ( Ultra long distances)
eat almost nothing but junkfood on their rides.

I believe it has to do with when you are eating the junkfood. On your ride
and immediately after it your body can handle sugar bombs without raising
the insulin level. Between rides we should eat what is normally considered
healthy food.

As for riding 26 miles a day you don't really need to eat or drink anything
extra, since you have enough stored carbs for that ride and you can drink
water before and after your ride, unless exceptionally hot ofcourse.

--
Perre

Old December 13th 03, 07:33 PM
Tim McNamara

"Q." LostVideos-AT-hotmail.com writes:

A human beings natural lifespan is about 40 years.

And on what do you base this astonishing revelation?
Old December 13th 03, 07:36 PM
Werehatrack

On 12 Dec 2003 20:52:58 -0800, (wle) may have said:

say you ride, oh, 26 miles a day.

according to some calculations, that would be roughly 1300 calories
needed just to power the bike.

is it ok to eat what would normally be considered junk food,
to get these calories?

My advice: I'd avoid most of it. Not because the calories are
unclean in some way, but because the average junk food has crap in it
which, if you really understood what it was and what it did, would
*not* be in your diet.

There are plenty of ways to get calories. Sugar, by itself, is not
something I avoid. Even cola still isn't on my no-go list. Mountain
Dew and its ilk, however, with their propylene glycol (added to
provide body) and other such miracles of modern chemistry, are right
out.

My approach: in general, f the list of ingredients contains anything
I don't cook with, I don't buy it. (OK, I make an exception for
phosphoric acid, which I don't actually use in cooking....but which I
keep around for many other purposes.)

Some bottle cages provide enough space for a 20oz soft drink bottle in
a koozie; if you retain and re-use a few such soda bottles, you can
fill them with whatever you like, even freezing them (upright) if
they're not filled past the lower radius of the top shoulder. I find
that this neatly eliminates the need to stop at convenience stores or
vending machines, as well as providing better refreshments at a much
lower cost.

(For those who are believers in one or more of the various performance
drinks or who drink water only; to each his own, you may have
different needs than I do. This post is provided solely as a source
of ideas, not a proclamation of The One True Way.)

it's also possible that I'm busy.