Unicycling robot

Old September 24th 08, 02:40 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
rob.northcott

Default Unicycling robot

I don't think anybody's posted this yet...
Murata have built a unicycling robot.
'Link to BBC news site'
(http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/7633342.stm)

Rob

--
rob.northcott
Old September 24th 08, 02:44 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
littleman

Thats crazy.

It would have been funny if the video went into some rap beat and it
started pulling of crazy flatland tricks.

Was it preprogrammed to ride a unicycle, or did they just set him on it
and off it went?

--
littleman

http://sixsixone.com/

gabetheunicycleman wrote:
just a quick question for girl unicyclists, as guys we get nutted, do
you ever get clitted.?

Old September 24th 08, 04:32 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Spudman

The link's not working for me... Is it the same unicycling robot as
'this one' (http://tinyurl.com/4vfocj)? (probably not, since it's from
the 90s...)

--
Spudman

'_•_' (HTTP://WWW.PHYSICS.ARIZONA.EDU/~FORBES/) '_•_'
(WWW.SELECTRIC.ORG) '_•_' (HTTP://TINYURL.COM/5UOKC6) '_•_'
(HTTP://TINYURL.COM/5UOKC6) '_•_' (HTTP://WWW.YOUTUBE.COM/USER/SFORBS)
*'_•_' (http://tinyurl.com/5uokc6) '_•_' (http://xkcd.com/) '_•_'
(http://tinyurl.com/5uokc6) '_•_' (http://tinyurl.com/5uokc6) '_•_'
(http://tinyurl.com/5uokc6)*
'_•_' (HTTP://TINYURL.COM/5UOKC6) '_•_' (HTTP://TINYURL.COM/5UOKC6)
'_•_' (WWW.GOOGLE.COM) '_•_' (HTTP://TINYURL.COM/5UOKC6) '_•_'
(HTTP://WWW.LOLCATBIBLE.COM/INDEX.PHP?TITLE=MAIN_PAGE)
'_•_' (http://tinyurl.com/5uokc6)*
*'_•_' (http://tinyurl.com/5uokc6) '_•_' (www.project1726.org) '_•_'
(http://tinyurl.com/5uokc6) '_•_' (http://tinyurl.com/5uokc6) '_•_'
(http://www.myspace.com/JerrickCritesMusic)*
Old September 24th 08, 04:48 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
maestro8

The Hoovers made a unicycling robot about 17 years ago.

His name's Beau. He can climb any hill. Steeper than you could walk.
Backwards, even.

He does it so fast it can't even be caught on camera... we've tried.

[image:
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2153/...6b72d.jpg?v=0]

--
maestro8

Groucho Marx

The only way to comprehend what mathematicians mean by Infinity is to
contemplate the extent of human stupidity. -- Franηois-Marie Arouet de
Voltaire
Old September 24th 08, 04:56 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
kington99

forget that, a shopping centre near me apparently has a 'robotic barman'
(http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/england/7601258.stm)

--
kington99

Dave

Old September 24th 08, 05:07 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
mikepenton

'here's' (http://tinyurl.com/43mp6d) a non-video version... the robot
can't turn or freemount though.

Hopefully they'll develop her far enough to thrash her 'brother' in
races (he's got a bike) and a voice chip would sort out rude comments
from other robots...

--
mikepenton

Uni - The Unicycle Magazine
'www.unicyclemagazine.com' (http://www.unicyclemagazine.com)
Old September 24th 08, 05:35 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
harper

That looks like JC idling.

--
harper

-Greg Harper

"Natural logs are what you ride on a Mun'e'." - kevinalexandersmith
Old September 24th 08, 06:46 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
johnfoss

Cool thread. Two unicycling robot videos in one day! I hadn't see/heard
of either before. Looks like they are more concerned with working out
the fore-aft balance than worrying about making turns though.

Every other unicycling bot I've seen has either had a really wide
wheel, been a monocycle or otherwise not been such a feat of balancing.
That Murata one, with it's very small size, was really impressive.

But what's up with BBC having videos that don't work in Firefox (3)?
Anyone else have this problem? No video window shows up and I get a big
blank space. It worked fine in Safari though.

--
johnfoss

John Foss

Man with broken collar bone say: "Have you checked your shoelaces
lately?"
Old September 24th 08, 08:45 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Spudman

johnfoss wrote:
...That Murata one, with it's very small size, was really impressive.

Ah, so it's that unicycle robot. It's very similar to 'this one'
(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IlMMWFwHti4) that I found online a
while ago in that it uses a wheel mounted sideways to correct for
sideways balance. It balances in about the same way that a unicyclist
would if riding on a rail.

The other one I posted further up balances by rotating a mass on the
top that allows the robot to 'twist' the wheel in relation to the mass
on top, allowing for sideways balance. I think this is more like how
an average unicyclist balances while riding... but it's probably an
interesting combination of both.

Old September 24th 08, 10:34 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
skilewis74

How's that?

The first one is an actual robot that rides the uni (w/ the pedals).
The other two look like they control the wheel w/ some type of gear on
the tire.

littleman wrote:
It would have been funny if the video went into some rap beat and it
started pulling of crazy flatland tricks.

I'm thinking more rolling tricks would be easier to program, like
riding w/ one foot, gliding and coasting (looks like it already has
idling and riding backwards down).

--
skilewis74

Ride everywhere and never just ride anywhere. If you can ride where you
are going within a hour, do it, and if you can do a trick 50-75% of the
time do it along the way.- Bob Burnquist

What next? 'IUF skill levels'
(http://www.unicycling.org/iuf/levels/)*'
Street'
(http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/The_Unicyclopedia/Street)*'unicycletips.com'