Unicycling robot

Old September 24th 08, 10:58 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
1-wheeled-grape

Default Unicycling robot

johnfoss wrote:
But what's up with BBC having videos that don't work in Firefox (3)?
Anyone else have this problem? No video window shows up and I get a big
blank space. It worked fine in Safari though.

Nope worked for me.

That's pretty cool, 'reminds me of an article I read before'
(http://tinyurl.com/4ncp45). People are getting lazy, we wont need to
pedal one day, and Kris Holm will fall behind as robot unicycles come
around, ones that anyone can ride without practice. It will just be us
sticking to the pedal-unicycles

--
1-wheeled-grape

Scott,

'Restoring a Mini Mayfair... It's going to be awesome!!!!!!'
(http://tinyurl.com/6jry36)
'My bebo thingy' (http://www.bebo.com/unicyclist_for_life)
Old September 24th 08, 11:10 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
johnfoss

skilewis74 wrote:
The first one is an actual robot that rides the uni (w/ the pedals).
...I'm thinking more rolling tricks would be easier to program, like
riding w/ one foot, gliding and coasting (looks like it already has
idling and riding backwards down).

Hate to burst your bubble but the Murata robot uses a belt or chain
drive (look close on right side of wheel). The legs are there for
looks. Also, I'm assuming, the outstretched arms. The robot's shell is
cute, but she's got bad riding posture.

So one-foot tricks would be a piece of cake, by just removing one of
the feet! To keep things honest, it looks like the right leg is the
dominant one.

BYW, the video played fine for me (in Firefox) after returning with a
reboot and some cache-clearing in between.

--
johnfoss

John Foss

Man with broken collar bone say: "Have you checked your shoelaces
lately?"
Old September 24th 08, 11:11 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
tholub

I don't think any of these robots are "riding a unicycle" in a
meaningful way. They are balancing on one wheel using gyroscopes.
Even the BBC one with legs and pedals looks like it's being driven by a
motor in the frame; the legs are just for decoration.

--
tholub
Old September 25th 08, 12:14 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
hobo_chuck

This is the one that really impresses me: The 'Big Dog'
(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jxMKjPGq8Jc)

--
hobo_chuck
Old September 25th 08, 12:25 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
johnfoss

tholub wrote:
I don't think any of these robots are "riding a unicycle" in a
meaningful way. They are balancing on one wheel using gyroscopes.

So they're not *pedaling* a unicycle. But if we were to ride a powered
unicycle, such as Trevor Blackwell's, a motor and drive system is
powering the wheel. The gyroscopes take the place of our flailing arms,
twisting torsos and other bodily movements. In their way, they are a
more elegant solution to the balancing problem.

Old September 25th 08, 02:01 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
napalm

yeah, if they could get the little unicyclist doing pirouettes i would
be impressed, at them moment it sort of just sits there idling.

As for the big dog link- that is some pretty damn nifty robotics.
mark

--
napalm

you wont do it...your SCARED!
"We are all racing towards death. No matter how many great,
intellectual conclusionswe draw during our lives, we know they are only
man made, like God"
http://gallery.unicyclist.com/LAVISs-stuff