Schwinn Uni Tires

Old September 24th 08, 06:04 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
jmanoh

Default Schwinn Uni Tires

Hi, I'm new here but have ridden for 30+ years. I have a Schwinn
uni from the 1970s and I would like to put knobby tires on it to try
off-road riding (MUni) but the rims Schwinn used back in the '70s isn't
a standard width so it looks like "normal" tires won't fit. Has anyone
successfully used tires other than the standard issue Schwinn unicycle
tire on one of these vintage unis?

--
jmanoh
Old September 24th 08, 06:34 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
johnfoss

"Regular" tires won't work, you'll never keep them on the rim. The
simplest solution is to find a new 28-hole rim as a replacement. But
that means a new wheel build, so you'll need new spokes & nipples too.
Better yet, buy a new unicycle that's geard for riding offroad, because
your Schwinn isn't. Something with 36 spokes.

That said, I did notice a seller with a pair of Schwinn whitewall
unicycles on eBay the other day. Can't remember if they were 20" or 24"
though. Those things are collectors items!

--
johnfoss

John Foss

Man with broken collar bone say: "Have you checked your shoelaces
lately?"
Old September 24th 08, 07:02 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
roakey

johnfoss wrote:
Better yet, buy a new unicycle that's geard for riding offroad...

Careful about using the term "geared" these days, it's no longer
unambiguous!

Roak

--
roakey

roakeyatunderctekdotcom
== Mighty Murphy, the wonder Bouv!
Old September 24th 08, 07:38 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
MuniAddict

jmanoh wrote:
Hi, I'm new here but have ridden for 30+ years. I have a Schwinn
uni from the 1970s and I would like to put knobby tires on it to try
off-road riding (MUni) but the rims Schwinn used back in the '70s isn't
a standard width so it looks like "normal" tires won't fit. Has anyone
successfully used tires other than the standard issue Schwinn unicycle
tire on one of these vintage unis?

When I started riding (after about 35 years off!) I had a schwinn 24"
that I put a 24x3 on and it fit fine. There is ample width but the
schwinn isn't the best (or even close) choice for MUni; the bearings
are weak (on the old models at least) and although it most likely has
cotterless cranks, that hub is terribly weak as is the single walled
steel rim, with something like only 28 spokes! For around $100 you can
buy a torker LX which is a decent learner uni that will suffice for
light offroad MUni, but you ma want to upgrade to a 24x 2.75 knobby
tire. If you can afford it, go woth the Torker DX, which is super
strong with a splined hub and comes standard with a wide tire.

--
MuniAddict

'UniGeezer.com' (http://unigeezer.com/)
Old September 24th 08, 07:49 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
harper

Does the Schwinn use the 24x1-3/4 tires? They are a different size than
the 24x1.75 tires. Will the rim even accommodate anything but those
weird sizes?

--
harper

-Greg Harper

"Natural logs are what you ride on a Mun'e'." - kevinalexandersmith
Old September 24th 08, 09:46 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
skilewis74

MuniAddict wrote:
For around $100 you can buy a torker LX which is a decent learner uni
that will suffice for light offroad MUni, but you ma want to upgrade to
a 24x 2.75 knobby tire.
If you can afford it, go woth the Torker DX, which is super strong with
a splined hub and comes standard with a wide tire.

I think the largest tire that'll fit the 24" LX is the 2.6" Kenda
Kinetics (a 2.6" Gazzoladi won't fit).
Instead of getting the DX, I wish -I- got a LX and saved up for a Kris
Holm.

--
skilewis74

Ride everywhere and never just ride anywhere. If you can ride where you
are going within a hour, do it, and if you can do a trick 50-75% of the
time do it along the way.- Bob Burnquist

What next? 'IUF skill levels'
(http://www.unicycling.org/iuf/levels/)*'
Street'
(http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/The_Unicyclopedia/Street)*'unicycletips.com'
(http://unicycletips.com/)*'Trials class system'
(http://tinyurl.com/yqpvxk)*'Trials Building'
Old September 24th 08, 09:48 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
johnfoss

harper wrote:
Does the Schwinn use the 24x1-3/4 tires? They are a different size than
the 24x1.75 tires. Will the rim even accommodate anything but those
weird sizes?

Apparently it can if you find the right tire. My experiences, back in
the day, with 24 x 1.75 tires never worked.

The old Schwinns (1983 or earlier) all had fairly robust, and heavy
rims, double-walled. They called them "Schwinn Tubular Rims". But the
28 spokes was the weaker part.

Old September 24th 08, 10:32 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
skrobo

the schwinn rims are a different diameter ... you ahve to get the
schwinn tires.

--
skrobo

Unicycle For Christ

'MY VIDEOS' (http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=skroboskim)
'World Record' (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oig5IEq-v4Y)
"dude when i first got into this sport and saw one of you videos i
almost threw up it was so sick"
Old September 24th 08, 10:43 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Panotaker

Since you have been ridind for 30+ years, you must be at least 40 or 50
years old. So I am guessing that you should have a good enough job
where you can afford to buy yourself a new unicycle. Do yourself a
favor and buy a new KH24 while this place still has some left:
http://tinyurl.com/63lwox I just bought one from them a couple of
months ago and love it. I also bought a KH20 from them. A modern uni is
light years ahead of that old schwinn. I have and old 20 inch schwinn
myself that I keep around to loan out to friends.

--
Panotaker
Old September 24th 08, 11:15 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
tholub

Panotaker wrote:
Since you have been ridind for 30+ years, you must be at least 40 or 50
years old. So I am guessing that you should have a good enough job
where you can afford to buy yourself a new unicycle. Do yourself a
favor and buy a new KH24 while this place still has some left:
http://tinyurl.com/63lwox

No such luck; he worked for Lehman Brothers.

(It's rather presumptuous to assume that anyone who used to ride a
unicycle 30 years ago has the means to spend $400 on one now).

--
tholub