A better article about Alan Liu and Jill Mason (cyclists struck by drunk driver Easter Sunday)

Old April 14th 04, 02:56 AM
Marian Goldeen

Default A better article about Alan Liu and Jill Mason (cyclists struck by drunk driver Easter Sunday)

My sister's on the Mountain View swim team that Alan Liu coached. She
thought (and I agree) that the Chronicle had better articles about the
crash than the Press Democrat. Here's a link.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl...AGH8645271.DTL

or

http://makeashorterlink.com/?K1C521408

I really HATE this sort of thing. Just think, old Harvey likely didn't
plan to drive more than a few miles. If only he'd chosen to ride a
bike.

Marian
Old April 14th 04, 06:47 PM
DiabloScott

Marian Goldeen wrote:
My sister's on the Mountain View swim team that Alan Liu coached. She
thought (and I agree) that the Chronicle had better articles about the
crash than the Press Democrat. Here's a link.
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-http://www.sfgate.com/cgi- bin/article.cgi?file=/chronicle/archive/2004/04/13/BAGH8-
645271.DTL
or
http://makeashorterlink.com/?K1C5214...rterlink.com/-
?K1C521408
I really HATE this sort of thing. Just think, old Harvey likely didn't
plan to drive more than a few miles. If only he'd chosen to ride a bike.
Marian

And just to make it all the more grotesque - Pythian Road (where thi
guy pulled onto the highway) is where (or very close to where) the cop
had questioned Richard Alan Davis about what he was doing but didn'
discover that he was Polly Klaas's kidnapper and she may have been save
if they had

-

Old April 14th 04, 11:51 PM
Rick Warner

(Marian Goldeen) wrote in message . com...
My sister's on the Mountain View swim team that Alan Liu coached. She
thought (and I agree) that the Chronicle had better articles about the
crash than the Press Democrat. Here's a link.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl...AGH8645271.DTL

or

http://makeashorterlink.com/?K1C521408

Almost identical to the article in the Mercury News yesterday. I get why some
would think it better than the Press-Democrat; the article in the Chron and
the near identical one in the Merc are more about the victims than the crash.
That is important. The Press-Democrat has been concentrating more on the
incident and not so much on the people. But as time goes on the Press-Democrat
will be the only outlet covering this issue; after the first week the Chron
and the Merc will find it old news, not local enough, and will drop coverage.
But the Press-Democrat will be local and, if past events are an indicator,
will cover the DA's decision on charges and, if it comes to it, the trial.

The current Sonoma DA has not always been willing to aggressively prosecute
drivers that hit cyclists; note the Ross Dillon case (www.rossdillon.com) from
a couple of years back. At this time it would seem wise for those interested
to impress on the DA, directly and through the media, that this accident cannot
be dropped; his office needs to get aggressive and send a message.

- rick