The Banks of the Ohio

Old January 15th 10, 08:36 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc,uk.rec.cycling,rec.bicycles.tech
Edward Dolan

Default The Banks of the Ohio

"Jay Beattie" wrote in message
[...]
My musical start point is about Tallis/Monteverdi and

centered firmly in the Romantic era along with late or post-Romantic
composers who forgot to get off the train at the turn of the century,
like Rachmaninoff or Sibelius.[...]

Jay has got it exactly right except for the part about Tallis and
Monteverdi.

Music lagged behind some of the rest of the arts when it came to a classical
era. Haydn, Mozart and the early Beethoven fall into this classical era, but
I would also put all the Romantics and the Post-Romantics into this category
also. Music had gone to hell by the time I came into the world (mid 20th
century).

Anyone who does not appreciate Rachmaninoff and Sibelius has no ear for
music. Did you know that Sibelius was once the most popular composer of all
time (early 20th century)? Like the English, I love Sibelius, but I must
admit his popularity seems to fluctuate over time. I waited all my life for
his 8th Symphony, but it never came. This confirms my view that composition
is a young man's game.

It is extremely interesting to see how musical genius has played out over
the centuries in various countries. It seems like every nation was able to
produce at least one musical genius. Some nations, like Spain and Ireland
for instance, have a very rich folk music and seemed not to have produced
much in the way of composers.

The one country that has always amazed me the most is Russia. Why they
should have produced such great musical geniuses is a mystery to me.
Tchaikovsky to this day wrote the most popular fine art music of any
composer whoever lived - no small accomplishment! About the only thing I
look forward to at Xmas time is yet another viewing of his Nutcracker Ballet
on TV.

Regards,

Ed Dolan the Great - Minnesota
aka

Old January 15th 10, 11:47 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc,uk.rec.cycling,rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Sherman °_°[_2_]

Frank Krygowski wrote:
On Jan 15, 1:54 am, Michael Press wrote:
In article
,
Jay Beattie wrote:
I once went to a John Cage concert in the '70s (Cage
conducting San Jose Symphony) and enjoyed the sound of feet walking
out, although I was supposed to be listening to the sound of a
symphony orchestra playing a score derived by punching holes through a
star chart on to staff paper. At least you don't have to worry about
playing in a rest -- just call it a small star. -- Jay Beattie.

If you ever have a tune in your head you cannot get rid of
put John Cage on the player. Gahr Uhn Teed.

A group of cycling friends and I once attended a recital by another of
our cycling friends, who's a professional classical musician. He
included a Cage piece. I think we offended him by interpreting it as
being funny.[...]

I wish more people would play Cage's 4'33" in their cars. Repeatedly.

--
Tom Sherman - 42.435731,-83.985007
Old January 15th 10, 11:52 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc,uk.rec.cycling,rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_2_]

On Jan 15, 6:47*pm, Tom Sherman °_°
wrote:

I wish more people would play Cage's 4'33" in their cars. Repeatedly.

And loudly, of course. But without the inevitable coughs. Go for the
studio recording version.

- Frank Krygowski
Old January 15th 10, 11:52 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc,uk.rec.cycling,rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Sherman °_°[_2_]

Edward Dolan wrote:
[...]
There are two types of serious fine art music that I do not care for - a
capella and organ music.

I just finished listening to the complete organ works of J.S. Bach.
Loved all of it.

[...]
I would start the era of music that can still be appreciated today with
Haydn and Mozart, maybe Bach and Handel. Tallis and Monteverdi were still
too early.[...]

Nonsense: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mjpFi9bn1do.

--
Tom Sherman - 42.435731,-83.985007
Old January 15th 10, 11:57 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc,uk.rec.cycling,rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Sherman °_°[_2_]

Edward Dolan wrote:
[...]
The one country that has always amazed me the most is Russia. Why they
should have produced such great musical geniuses is a mystery to me.
Tchaikovsky to this day wrote the most popular fine art music of any
composer whoever lived - no small accomplishment! About the only thing I
look forward to at Xmas time is yet another viewing of his Nutcracker Ballet
on TV.[...]

One of the finest pieces of Christmas music ever written - excerpts
he http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FBXMlZrmiB0.

--
Tom Sherman - 42.435731,-83.985007
Old January 16th 10, 12:08 AM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc,uk.rec.cycling,rec.bicycles.tech
Jay Beattie

On Jan 15, 3:52*pm, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On Jan 15, 6:47*pm, Tom Sherman °_°

wrote:

I wish more people would play Cage's 4'33" in their cars. Repeatedly.

And loudly, of course. *But without the inevitable coughs. *Go for the
studio recording version.

Multi-channel surround sound so you can get the people coughing behind
you. Have you ever noticed that people feel compelled to cough during
quiet passages? It's the weirdest phenomenon. Between movements, the
concert hall turns in to a TB ward. -- Jay Beattie.
Old January 16th 10, 12:23 AM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc,uk.rec.cycling,rec.bicycles.tech
Jay Beattie

On Jan 15, 3:52*pm, Tom Sherman °_°
wrote:
Edward Dolan wrote:
[...]
There are two types of serious fine art music that I do not care for - a
capella and organ music.

I just finished listening to the complete organ works of J.S. Bach.
Loved all of it.

* [...]

I would start the era of music that can still be appreciated today with
Haydn and Mozart, maybe Bach and Handel. Tallis and Monteverdi were still
too early.[...]

Nonsense: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mjpFi9bn1do.

Or the way most of us were introduced to this piece in '69 by Wendy
fka Walter Carlos. http://www.buy.com/prod/well-tempere.../60502933.html

Compared to the youtube performance, it sounds kind of sluggish, but
it was amazing in its day. -- Jay Beattie.
Old January 16th 10, 12:32 AM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc,uk.rec.cycling,rec.bicycles.tech
Edward Dolan

"Tom Sherman °_°" wrote in message
Edward Dolan wrote:
[...]
There are two types of serious fine art music that I do not care for - a
capella and organ music.

I just finished listening to the complete organ works of J.S. Bach. Loved
all of it.

You need to listen to the complete cantatas of Bach. That is the real test
of your endurance, not the organ music.

[...]
I would start the era of music that can still be appreciated today with
Haydn and Mozart, maybe Bach and Handel. Tallis and Monteverdi were still
too early.[...]

Nonsense: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mjpFi9bn1do.

Yes, that is a good one, but most of Monteverdi is not so listenable. After
all, any fool can do a fanfare.

Old January 16th 10, 12:46 AM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc,uk.rec.cycling,rec.bicycles.tech
Edward Dolan

"Tom Sherman °_°" wrote in message
Edward Dolan wrote:
[...]
The one country that has always amazed me the most is Russia. Why they
should have produced such great musical geniuses is a mystery to me.
Tchaikovsky to this day wrote the most popular fine art music of any
composer whoever lived - no small accomplishment! About the only thing I
look forward to at Xmas time is yet another viewing of his Nutcracker
Ballet on TV.[...]

One of the finest pieces of Christmas music ever written - excerpts he
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FBXMlZrmiB0.

Yes, there are bits and pieces of baroque music that are undoubtedly
masterpieces, but the music from that era is increasing foreign to our ears.
That is not true with the music that began with Haydn and Mozart, although
someday it may very well be.

I have plowed my way though all the music of Bach and Handel (what else do
we dilettantes have to do) and I can tell you without any reservations
whatsoever that all of this music is doomed. It will be the end of
civilization for me if and when this ever happens to the music of the
Romantics like Beethoven and Brahms, but I do not put anything past the
present barbarians. I can't think of a single president whoever had any
culture. Kennedy came closest to having some culture, but I think it was all
due to his wife, Jacqueline.

Old January 16th 10, 12:49 AM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc,uk.rec.cycling,rec.bicycles.tech
Edward Dolan

wrote:

I wish more people would play Cage's 4'33" in their cars. Repeatedly.

And loudly, of course. But without the inevitable coughs. Go for the
studio recording version.

Multi-channel surround sound so you can get the people coughing behind

you. Have you ever noticed that people feel compelled to cough during
quiet passages? It's the weirdest phenomenon. Between movements, the
concert hall turns into a TB ward. -- Jay Beattie.

I stopped going to concerts in my youth because I could not stand all the
audience noise. Like Glenn Gould, what good are live concerts anyway when
recordings are far, far better.

Regards,

Ed Dolan the Great - Minnesota
aka

The Banks of the Ohio AMuzi Recumbent Biking 2 January 26th 10 12:41 AM
The Banks of the Ohio Tom Sherman °_°[_2_] Social Issues 42 January 19th 10 05:15 AM
The Banks of the Ohio Tom Sherman °_°[_2_] Techniques 42 January 19th 10 05:15 AM
The Banks of the Ohio AMuzi UK 0 January 12th 10 05:39 PM
The Banks of the Ohio AMuzi Techniques 0 January 12th 10 05:39 PM