New B&M Lights with Wide Beam and Daytime Mode Available

Old November 19th 13, 12:56 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Nate Nagel[_2_]

Default New B&M Lights with Wide Beam and Daytime Mode Available

On 11/18/2013 08:08 PM, Phil W Lee wrote:
Frank Krygowski considered Sun, 17 Nov 2013
12:36:17 -0800 (PST) the perfect time to write:

On Sunday, November 17, 2013 12:28:30 PM UTC-5, Phil W Lee wrote:
sms considered Thu, 14 Nov 2013 14:04:52

A flashing light is what you want for daytime use as a daytime running
light. It's very similar to what motorcycles do with modulated front
lights in the daytime.

You mean those almost non-existent ones, that at least 99% of
motorcyclists don't use?

To prove I'm not writing out of bias, I must report seeing another motorcycle with a modulated headlight about three weeks ago.

That makes two of them this year. And while I haven't kept count of the motorcycles I've seen _without_ modulated headlights, I suspect the number is _well_ over 1000. It may approach 10,000.

- Frank Krygowski

I've never seen one ever, anywhere.
And that should be taken in the context that I've worked as a
motorcycle courier (which essentially means I've worn out motorcycles
for a living), marshaled for the Isle of Man TT, the North-West 200,
and racing circuits all over the UK, been a motorcycle training
instructor, and taken part in motorcycle rallies where attendance was
numbered in 5 figures.
I once tried to work out what my lifetime motorcycle mileage was, and
concluded that although it was certainly in 7 figures, I couldn't be
sure by how much.

And in all that exposure to motorcycling, I have never seen a single
modulated headlight. Ever.

Must be a US thing... I wouldn't call them common, but they are on
enough bikes that I notice them regularly. Then there's those annoying
flashing LED brake lights, which AFAIK aren't even legal. For a while I
would see them on 3rd brake lights on cars (well, usually minivans) but
that fad seems to have died off.

In other news, I nearly got rear-ended the other day while sitting
perfectly still on a 35 MPH road. By a Prius. I would have been really
disappointed if that were how my car died, that's like being stabbed to
death by a Hello Kitty pencil.

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Old November 19th 13, 04:26 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_2_]

On Tuesday, November 19, 2013 7:56:59 AM UTC-5, Nate Nagel wrote:
... that's like being stabbed to death by a Hello Kitty pencil.

:-)

- Frank Krygowski
Old November 21st 13, 02:45 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Nate Nagel[_2_]

On 11/19/2013 03:53 PM, Phil W Lee wrote:
Nate Nagel considered Tue, 19 Nov 2013 07:56:59
-0500 the perfect time to write:

[...]

Assault by battery?

touche! *clink*

nate

Old November 23rd 13, 06:46 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Zarniwoop

On Wednesday, November 13, 2013 3:18:59 PM UTC-8, sms wrote:
I think these

http://www.starbike.com/en/busch-and-mueller-lumotec-iq-cyo/ are the

lights that Andre was talking about (the ones with premium in their

name). They have a much wider beam and there's a model with daytime

running lights. No flash mode for daytime use unfortunately,

That is a German domestic regulation thing, you can always add an Asian made blinking light as well .

but perhaps

someone can modify one to add a flash mode for use outside Germany.

Just buy another auxiliary light . Planet Bike Imports a Dynohub Super flash,
you can parallel wire that into your Dynohub, if you dont want to just use a battery light.

While these still don't meet all the requirements for lights (Google

"Choosing a Headlight for Your Bicycle" and see the sixth result) and

aren't as good as the Supernova E3 Triple

http://supernova-lights.com/en/products/e3_triple.html for commuting,

they are definitely a huge step up from previous B&M lights, and are a

lot less expensive than the Supernova E3 Triple.