Suspended licenses, unlicensed, or improperly licensed driver?

Old August 10th 16, 06:33 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

Default Suspended licenses, unlicensed, or improperly licensed driver?

After reading a number of accident reports wherein the driver was either unlicensed or driving with a revoked/suspended license i got to wondering just how many such drivers are on the road and also how many improperly ie illegally licensed drivers are also one the road. In Toronto Canada I knew a fellow who was geting concerned about taking road tests for his friends. he was concerned because he'd done it so many times that he was beginning to think that the DVM testers were getting suspicious. As my friend explained it, "One Chinese looks like any other Chinese to the DVM".

I've read that the U.S.A. has upwards of 35,000,000 illegal persons living in the United States. To put that number into a better perspective, it's nearly equal to the entire population of Canada. How many of them driving have licenses that they themselves tested for?

We're seeing more and more accidents where the driver flees the scene or tries to flee the scene. Is the fact that so many drivers are driving illegally with no license or a revoked/suspended license a contributing factor?

What can ANY one who gets hit by one of them, whether bicycling, driving or walking do to be recompensed for ay pain and sufferig or loss of income?

One thing for sure, "the times they are a changing" and not for the better in many cases.

Cheers
Old August 10th 16, 07:22 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

On Wednesday, August 10, 2016 at 10:33:35 AM UTC-7, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
[...]

I haven't done the research, but over 10% of the total population of the US is "illegal?" Wow, I'm voting Trump. What one can do is buy a good UIM/UM policy. http://www.bikelaw.com/2014/10/27/in...on-bicyclists/ You Second Amendment people also know what to do.

-- Jay Beattie.
Old August 10th 16, 07:27 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 8/10/2016 12:33 PM, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
[...]

Similar situation as regards firearms. For a guy who's
illegal anyway, or felon in possession, stolen firearm, used
in commission of a crime etc etc no amount of 'licensing'
rules will make any difference whatsoever.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old August 10th 16, 07:42 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

On Wednesday, August 10, 2016 at 2:22:43 PM UTC-4, jbeattie wrote:
[...]

This is interesting from that link you gave us Jay:

"So what types of insurance are available for cyclists?

UM/UIM coverage

UM/UIM coverage is coverage within a comprehensive auto policy (and now within comprehensive bicycle policies) that provides insurance coverage against collisions with uninsured and underinsured motorists. This type of coverage is so important for cyclists that it should be considered essential coverage. I routinely advise cyclists to purchase the maximum amount of UM/UIM coverage available (note that the maximum amount of UM/UIM available on a policy may be significantly higher on an automobile policy)."

Notice it's considered so important to bicyclists as to be "it should be considered essential". So there most likely is a problem with insured/uninsured drivers outthere. Again, is that becuase there are large numbers of drivers driving under revoked/suspended licenses or no license at all? Uninsured and underinsured drivers are moat likely more likely to flee the scene of an accident than licensed properly insured driver is.

Also, "In a car-on-bike collision, Oregon’s minimum level of coverage is only sufficient to cover minor collisions; any collision that is serious enough to send you to the hospital for more than emergency room treatment and release, or that will require continuing medical care, will quickly run over the policy limits, sometimes within the first few minutes of the collision."

Snipped:

"Before attempting to negotiate with a negligent driver’s insurance company, you should consult first with an experienced Oregon bicycle accident lawyer. http://www.bikelaw.com/state/oregon/ Do not talk with the driver’s insurance company until after you have talked with an attorney. The reason you do not want to talk with the insurance company first is that they will be using the conversation to gather information from you to see if they can find anything that they can use against you later to show that you were at fault in the crash. The insurance companies are experts at shifting the blame from their negligent driver to you, and anything that you say, no matter how innocent it may seem to you, may be something they can use to stall you later. Not every bicycle accident case will require an attorney’s help with a claim, but if you talk with an attorney first, the attorney can let you know what your options are before you decide to talk with the insurance company."

All the more resons to be really careful out there whether bicycling, driving or walking.

I see something else interesting in that article: "If your bike is stolen, and you file a claim with your insurance company, ownership of the bike transfers to the insurance company when it pays your claim; the bike is no longer yours. If you spot it on the street, you can certainly assist the police in recovering it, but it does not belong to you. It belongs to the insurance company. Similarly, if it is recovered by the police, it belongs to the insurance company. Once you have been paid for a stolen bike, if you want the recovered bike back, you will have to buy it back from the insurance company."

Cheers
Old August 10th 16, 07:48 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
W. Wesley Groleau

On 08-10-2016 13:27, AMuzi wrote:
Similar situation as regards firearms. For a guy who's illegal anyway,
or felon in possession, stolen firearm, used in commission of a crime
etc etc no amount of 'licensing' rules will make any difference whatsoever.

On the other hand, most illegal immigrants are very careful to obey the
law because they don't want to attract attention.

--
Wes Groleau
Old August 10th 16, 07:51 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

wrote:
[...]

I don't think anyone really knows and that may be the reason it's hard
to come by statistics. Nobody will say in a poll "Oh yeah, I drive sans
license".

We're seeing more and more accidents where the driver flees the
scene or tries to flee the scene. Is the fact that so many drivers
are driving illegally with no license or a revoked/suspended
license a contributing factor?

That, plus all those without mandatory insurance converage. Either
because they can't "afford" it or they have such a bad record or
accident history that nobody insures them.

What makes it worse is a shameless money grab which morally is right
down there with racket schemes: Lots of taxes called "court fees" and
such are tacked on, turning a $150 ticket into $450 ticket. Much of this
is used to finance plush court buildings and other "necessary"
government stuff. Regular folks don't have that kind of money, can't
pay, and then their license won't get renewed. Since they'd lose their
job if they can't drive ... they keep on driving.

What can ANY one who gets hit by one of them, whether bicycling,
driving or walking do to be recompensed for ay pain and sufferig or
loss of income?

Only if you have your own insurance, else not.

One thing for sure, "the times they are a changing" and not for the
better in many cases.

I haven't done the research, but over 10% of the total population of
the US is "illegal?" Wow, I'm voting Trump. What one can do is buy a
good UIM/UM policy.
http://www.bikelaw.com/2014/10/27/in...on-bicyclists/
You Second Amendment people also know what to do.

I have uninsured motorist coverage on my car policy. Question: Does
anyone know whether that policy would also cover my on my bicycles? Also
for my own liability in case I mess up and cause an accident? Since by
now my cycling mileage per year has become 3x that of my car mileage it
begins to matter.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Old August 10th 16, 07:54 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

On 2016-08-10 11:42, Sir Ridesalot wrote:

[...]

I see something else interesting in that article: "If your bike is
stolen, and you file a claim with your insurance company, ownership
of the bike transfers to the insurance company when it pays your
claim; the bike is no longer yours. If you spot it on the street, you
can certainly assist the police in recovering it, but it does not
belong to you. It belongs to the insurance company. Similarly, if it
is recovered by the police, it belongs to the insurance company. Once
you have been paid for a stolen bike, if you want the recovered bike
back, you will have to buy it back from the insurance company."

Mine look so beaten they would not want to keep either of my bikes.
Guaranteed :-)

Old August 10th 16, 08:05 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

On 2016-08-10 11:48, W. Wesley Groleau wrote:
On 08-10-2016 13:27, AMuzi wrote:
Similar situation as regards firearms. For a guy who's illegal anyway,
or felon in possession, stolen firearm, used in commission of a crime
etc etc no amount of 'licensing' rules will make any difference
whatsoever.

On the other hand, most illegal immigrants are very careful to obey the
law because they don't want to attract attention.

One would want to think so but the reality looks different:

http://www.gao.gov/assets/320/316959.pdf

Old August 10th 16, 10:24 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 2016-08-10 11:48, W. Wesley Groleau wrote:
On 08-10-2016 13:27, AMuzi wrote:
Similar situation as regards firearms. For a guy who's illegal anyway,
or felon in possession, stolen firearm, used in commission of a crime
etc etc no amount of 'licensing' rules will make any difference
whatsoever.

On the other hand, most illegal immigrants are very careful to obey the
law because they don't want to attract attention.

One would want to think so but the reality looks different:

http://www.gao.gov/assets/320/316959.pdf

From what I can tell, there are roughly 10 or 11 million illegal aliens
in the U.S. The paper you linked talks about roughly 250,000 criminal
aliens in five years.

I think you just proved Mr. Groleau's claim that most illegal immigrants
are very careful to obey the (other) laws, so they don't attract attention.

(Not that I'm in favor of illegal immigration, mind you.)

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old August 10th 16, 11:51 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

On 2016-08-10 11:48, W. Wesley Groleau wrote:
On 08-10-2016 13:27, AMuzi wrote:
Similar situation as regards firearms. For a guy who's illegal anyway,
or felon in possession, stolen firearm, used in commission of a crime
etc etc no amount of 'licensing' rules will make any difference
whatsoever.

On the other hand, most illegal immigrants are very careful to obey the
law because they don't want to attract attention.

One would want to think so but the reality looks different:

http://www.gao.gov/assets/320/316959.pdf

From what I can tell, there are roughly 10 or 11 million illegal aliens
in the U.S. The paper you linked talks about roughly 250,000 criminal
aliens in five years.

I think you just proved Mr. Groleau's claim that most illegal immigrants
are very careful to obey the (other) laws, so they don't attract attention.

(Not that I'm in favor of illegal immigration, mind you.)

Once again I need to remind you to read more carefully. Quote from above
link, page 30 "Further, the total number of SCAAP illegal aliens
incarcerated in, California state prisons in fiscal year 2008 was about
27,000, which accounted for about 10 percent of all inmate days".

Considering that CA had about 30M people that year it would mean that of
the 10-11M illegals a full third would need to live in California alone
to make illegals behave teh same (and not more carefully at all). You
really believe that?