V Brakes on a Disc Specific Frame

Old February 18th 05, 10:40 PM
Howard Culley

Default V Brakes on a Disc Specific Frame

Hi

Here's a weird question for you! Is it possible to fit any kind of
standard type V brake to a MTB frame that is disc specific (i.e.
doesn't have the lug's for the rear brake) frame??

The reason I'm wondering is that I'm getting pretty sick of messing
around with these damn Hayes hydraulic brakes. I spend more time
realigning calipers, pushing pistons back in etc etc, than I do riding
the bike!!

It seems that most of the decent quality bikes all come disc specific
now, and the bike I wanted (Kona Hoss) came fitted with these
troublesome Hayes HFX9's.

Any ideas??

Cheers

Howard
Old February 18th 05, 10:47 PM

Howard Culley wrote:
Hi

Here's a weird question for you! Is it possible to fit any kind of
standard type V brake to a MTB frame that is disc specific (i.e.
doesn't have the lug's for the rear brake) frame??

BMX'ers have come up with a way around this. There's a clamp-on mount
for V-brakes sold under the Big Cheese brand name. Big Cheese is a
brand used by Quality Bicycle Products, but the mount doesn't appear in
the current catalog. There's a picture of the mount on this web page:
http://www.gaerlan.com/bikeparts/par...es/brakes.html

Jeff

Old February 18th 05, 11:09 PM

Howard Culley wrote:

It seems that most of the decent quality bikes all come disc specific
now, and the bike I wanted (Kona Hoss) came fitted with these
troublesome Hayes HFX9's.

Any ideas??

Yes!

Avid mechanicals. Easy to set up. Easy to maintain. On the rear, so
the modulation difference won't be as noticable. Cheap. Even if you
have to buy a lever and run some cable.

Cheap and easy -- what more could you possibly want?

E.P.

Old February 19th 05, 12:11 AM
Michael Dart

Howard Culley wrote:
Hi

Here's a weird question for you! Is it possible to fit any kind of
standard type V brake to a MTB frame that is disc specific (i.e.
doesn't have the lug's for the rear brake) frame??

The reason I'm wondering is that I'm getting pretty sick of messing
around with these damn Hayes hydraulic brakes. I spend more time
realigning calipers, pushing pistons back in etc etc, than I do riding
the bike!!

It seems that most of the decent quality bikes all come disc specific
now, and the bike I wanted (Kona Hoss) came fitted with these
troublesome Hayes HFX9's.

Any ideas??

Replace your levers with Mag's. I don't have ANY trouble with mine. (Three
sets of them)

Mike

Old February 19th 05, 03:24 AM
A Muzi

Howard Culley wrote:
Here's a weird question for you! Is it possible to fit any kind of
standard type V brake to a MTB frame that is disc specific (i.e.
doesn't have the lug's for the rear brake) frame??

The reason I'm wondering is that I'm getting pretty sick of messing
around with these damn Hayes hydraulic brakes. I spend more time
realigning calipers, pushing pistons back in etc etc, than I do riding
the bike!!

It seems that most of the decent quality bikes all come disc specific
now, and the bike I wanted (Kona Hoss) came fitted with these
troublesome Hayes HFX9's.

If you have a steel frame it's simple and cheap to add brake
bosses.
But changing forks is the real answer.

You're mostly just carrying the rear brake around. It's the
front that stops your bike.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org
Old February 19th 05, 05:20 AM
Kurd

I second the praises of Avid mechanicals.
They stop your bike with less maintaince than v-brakes or hydraulics.

om...

Old February 20th 05, 05:38 PM
Phil, Squid-in-Training

Howard Culley wrote:
Hi

Here's a weird question for you! Is it possible to fit any kind of
standard type V brake to a MTB frame that is disc specific (i.e.
doesn't have the lug's for the rear brake) frame??

BMX'ers have come up with a way around this. There's a clamp-on mount
for V-brakes sold under the Big Cheese brand name. Big Cheese is a
brand used by Quality Bicycle Products, but the mount doesn't appear
in the current catalog. There's a picture of the mount on this web
page:
http://www.gaerlan.com/bikeparts/par...es/brakes.html

I don't believe this will work. BMX bikes have u-brake bosses, which are
above the rim surface (on the seatstay/chainstay). Canti/V brakes have the
bosses below the rim surface. I'm pretty sure this mount simply allows one
to use the latter on the former.

--
Phil, Squid-in-Training

Old February 21st 05, 02:08 AM
S R Sharp

Phil, Squid-in-Training wrote:

I don't believe this will work. BMX bikes have u-brake bosses, which are
above the rim surface (on the seatstay/chainstay). Canti/V brakes have the
bosses below the rim surface. I'm pretty sure this mount simply allows one
to use the latter on the former.

There is a version for linear-pull brakes also.

Old February 21st 05, 03:45 AM

Phil, Squid-in-Training wrote:
page: http://www.gaerlan.com/bikeparts/par...es/brakes.html

I don't believe this will work. BMX bikes have u-brake bosses, which

are
above the rim surface (on the seatstay/chainstay). Canti/V brakes

have the
bosses below the rim surface. I'm pretty sure this mount simply

allows one
to use the latter on the former.

Look at the pictured mount. It's for V/cantilever brakes- an enormous
horseshoe of aluminum.

This is the U-brake mount:
http://harriscyclery.net/site/page.c...=49&SKU=BR9120

Jeff

Old February 21st 05, 07:56 AM
Phil, Squid-in-Training

Phil, Squid-in-Training wrote:
page:
http://www.gaerlan.com/bikeparts/par...es/brakes.html

I don't believe this will work. BMX bikes have u-brake bosses,
which are above the rim surface (on the seatstay/chainstay).
Canti/V brakes have the bosses below the rim surface. I'm pretty
sure this mount simply allows one to use the latter on the former.

Look at the pictured mount. It's for V/cantilever brakes- an enormous
horseshoe of aluminum.

This is the U-brake mount:
http://harriscyclery.net/site/page.c...=49&SKU=BR9120

I'm confused. How does the mount clamp (with the included hose clamps) onto
the seatstays or chainstays?
--
Phil, Squid-in-Training

Mechanical Disc Brakes Mike Kennedy Mountain Biking 4 September 8th 04 11:45 PM
'V' Brakes vs Mechanical Disc Brakes Ian Brown Mountain Biking 14 May 31st 04 08:09 PM
Disc brakes on MTB? Steve Australia 8 April 26th 04 04:26 PM
Forks and disc brakes [email protected] Mountain Biking 11 November 17th 03 05:53 PM