Needed: 700c tires suggestions

Old February 22nd 05, 08:00 PM
Velo Psycho

huffyrider wrote:
Not just any 700c tire, but one with a looser fit? Folding or wire

bead in
a 700x23 or 700x25 configuration would be good. The MA-40 rims

combined
with the Conti's, Vredesteins and (especially) the Michelins I've

tried on
them to date are going to eat too many tire irons and cause many

commuting
headaches when the inevitable flat tires begin occurring. They are
T-I-G-H-T. Your assistance is requested.
TIA,
hr

Here's a thought... I recently read somewhere a suggestion of putting
tyres in the dryer for a few minutes before mounting them the first
time. Have you tried that?

Old February 22nd 05, 08:50 PM
Paul Kopit

On 22 Feb 2005 12:00:55 -0800, "Velo Psycho"
wrote:

Here's a thought... I recently read somewhere a suggestion of putting
tyres in the dryer for a few minutes before mounting them the first
time. Have you tried that?

I haven't done that but I have put the tires in the hot sun first.
I've got reasonably strong hands and good technique for changing out
tires. My friend has the best solution for mounting new kevlar bead
tires. He brings them to me.
Old February 23rd 05, 02:13 AM
huffyrider

"Josh McClure" wrote in message
oups.com...
Sounds like whining to me. I have MA-40's on my commuter with Conti Top
Touring 700x32 with the Velox rim strip. It is a tight fit, but I
haven't had to use levers yet. personally I rarely use levers to change
a flat and this from a guy who does it 10 or more times per day during
the summer.
I personally recommend just toughening up and getting stronger thumbs.

Josh McClure
Durst Cycles
Urbana, IL

Yeah, I whine alot. Maybe I should try and land a summer job at an LBS to
strengthen my thumbs. Thanks for your el BS feedback.

Old February 23rd 05, 02:18 AM
huffyrider

"Velo Psycho" wrote in message
ups.com...

Josh McClure wrote:
Sounds like whining to me. I have MA-40's on my commuter with Conti

Top
Touring 700x32 with the Velox rim strip. It is a tight fit, but I
haven't had to use levers yet. personally I rarely use levers to

change
a flat and this from a guy who does it 10 or more times per day

during
the summer.
I personally recommend just toughening up and getting stronger

thumbs.

Josh McClure
Durst Cycles
Urbana, IL

What a dick. The guy just came here looking for help.

Heh, no worries. I figure josh (lower case) has extra strength in reserve
from charging all those mountains in Land of Lincoln. You go my brother!
hr

Old February 23rd 05, 02:20 AM
huffyrider

wrote in message
oups.com...
"Huffyrider" wrote:

As far as the tires go, a true 700x25 will
be about the max I can fit with this 80's racer rig, heck it won't
even have
gears or brakes!

Or a brain! --TP

No brain, that'll have to be left on the Campy groupo bike. Got fixed?
hr

Old February 23rd 05, 02:38 AM
Tom Sherman

Josh McClure wrote:

Sounds like whining to me. I have MA-40's on my commuter with Conti

Top

Touring 700x32 with the Velox rim strip. It is a tight fit, but I
haven't had to use levers yet. personally I rarely use levers to

change

a flat and this from a guy who does it 10 or more times per day

during

the summer.
I personally recommend just toughening up and getting stronger

thumbs.

Josh McClure
Durst Cycles
Urbana, IL

What a dick. The guy just came here looking for help.

Heh, no worries. I figure josh (lower case) has extra strength in reserve
from charging all those mountains in Land of Lincoln. You go my brother!

You obviously have not dealt with the typical spring winds in Champaign
County, when the corn is too short to be effective as a windbreak.

--
Tom Sherman - Earth

Old February 23rd 05, 03:08 AM
huffyrider

Josh McClure wrote:

[...]

Head winds both directions too, eh? Now picture 15-25 knot (typical) head
winds while climbing in the coastal ranges on the Left Coast in Spring and
Summer. Ahhhhh, I'm home!
hr

Old February 23rd 05, 03:12 AM
huffyrider

wrote:

Here's a thought... I recently read somewhere a suggestion of putting
tyres in the dryer for a few minutes before mounting them the first
time. Have you tried that?

I haven't done that but I have put the tires in the hot sun first.
I've got reasonably strong hands and good technique for changing out
tires. My friend has the best solution for mounting new kevlar bead
tires. He brings them to me.

Interesting. I'd say the heat/sun ideas deserve a look when mounting that
new rubber. Thanks.
hr

Old February 23rd 05, 03:19 AM
Tom Sherman

huffyrider who? wrote:

"Velo Psycho" wrote in message
groups.com...

Josh McClure wrote:

[...]

I have done several rides where the wind direction shifted to create
exactly that situation.

--
Tom Sherman - Earth

relative cost/usage between bicycle tires and automobile tires Anonymous Techniques 46 April 7th 04 07:03 PM
"Carbon" tires psycholist Techniques 34 January 28th 04 07:45 AM
Couple questions about bike tires Dan Musicant General 19 July 24th 03 09:56 PM
Couple questions about bike tires Dan Musicant General 3 July 18th 03 08:18 PM